Sleepers

Jack Reacheround

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Anyone else love this movie? It is one of my absolute favorites. There is some amount of controversy surrounding it since the writer, Lorenzo Carcaterra, claims it is a true story, yet there is no evidence to corraborate his claims. They have no record of any such trial occurring in NYC. He claims he changed the location of the story. But so much of the story is based on being from Hell's Kitchen and the cultural makeup of that neighborhood. I think he's full of shit. But I still love this movie.

Very good movie. I thought it deserved a Best Picture nomination as much as some of the films that were nominated.

Do you think the story was true?

I wouldn't be surprised if the stuff that happened in the youth prison was true, and then the rest of it was just a revenge fantasy.

The stuff from the past read to me like the truth, and the stuff from the present like something the author wished were true.

Last edited:
I pushed a wire spool down a hill when I was a kid. It was one of those big wooden spools that the high power wire comes on. The electrical crew left it behind. I never knew where it landed. We took off running.

I wouldn't be surprised if the stuff that happened in the youth prison was true, and then the rest of it was just a revenge fantasy.

The stuff from the past read to me like the truth, and the stuff from the present like something the author wished were true.
Do you think the story was true?
What a great film. Not exactly a pick me up movie but from a story telling point of view, it definitely provides a fitting revenge.

The author stands behind the movie and book as truly happening but it ends up as a he said, she said.

Frank Dux still claims that Blood Sport is true though so who fuckin knows.

What a great film. Not exactly a pick me up movie but from a story telling point of view, it definitely provides a fitting revenge.

The author stands behind the movie and book as truly happening but it ends up as a he said, she said.

Frank Dux still claims that Blood Sport is true though so who fuckin knows.
Isn't there video of someone l, who is supposedly Frank Dux, beating people in a martial arts tourney? It may be that he exaggerated, but was largely telling the truth. I know his claim of 50 KOs in 1 tournament can't be true, especially if it was a single elimination tournament. It would be mathematically impossible.

Great great movie ... Definitely not a big "feel good" movie, but amazing story telling and loved the character development from different time periods. This is one I can only watch every couple of years, but always impressed when I do.

Great movie
The guy that wrote also wrote a book called Apaches, about dirty cops and drug dealers, thats pretty good too

I guess not many people here have seen this movie. I can't say I'm surprised.

Love that movie. The scene in the resteraunt with older Kevin Bacon is such a satisfying moment

Classic.

I love how long they spend on the kids, a good chunk of the movie, so when it switches to them as adults it has a more epic feel.

My only complaint is Minnie Driver. Not a big fan of her.

I was really hoping to discuss it further than just a simple yes or no answer. Does anyone have any insight into the validity of carcaterra's claim of it being true? Did you like the scene where they shit off Kevin Bacon's balls? Shit like that.

Did you like the scene where they shit off Kevin Bacon's balls?

Damn bro... I musta missed that scene.

giphy.gif

I was really hoping to discuss it further than just a simple yes or no answer. Does anyone have any insight into the validity of carcaterra's claim of it being true? Did you like the scene where they shit off Kevin Bacon's balls? Shit like that.

The scene where they do in Kevin Bacon is well done. They played the numbness and indifference caused by a lifetime of abuse and violence well. A lesser film would have had them relishing the moment and snarling. These seemed like two guys who had been raped into mental oblivion.

Kevin Bacon was excellent in this film. The stages he went through from the moment he realized who they were until he realized he was dead were impressive for one brief conversation.

He's played characters that seep into this territory a few times. He was even better in The Woodsman.

The scene where they do in Kevin Bacon is well done. They played the numbness and indifference caused by a lifetime of abuse and violence well. A lesser film would have had them relishing the moment and snarling. These seemed like two guys who had been raped into mental oblivion.

Kevin Bacon was excellent in this film. The stages he went through from the moment he realized who they were until he realized he was dead were impressive for one brief conversation.

He's played characters that seep into this territory a few times. He was even better in The Woodsman.
I thought Dustin Hoffman did a great job too.

But can you imagine being Kevin Bacon's wife or girlfriend while he's preparing to play the role of child molester? It's a good thing Daniel Day Lewis didn't get that role.

Back