Sleeper UFC 300 Headliner Possibility

JoeRowe

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Volk vs Charles. Obviously this would require Volk winning this weekend, but if he does I think this is the route. Logic being:

-Obviously the trilogy with Islam would be enormous for UFC 300 but Islam won't be at his best during Ramadan & likely says "no thanks I'll fight the winner at IFW". So why not instead do the trilogy on 299 before Ramadan starts? Because they'll need Volk for 300.

-Jones retires. Izzy on hiatus. Khamzat also celebrating Ramadan(if he beats Usman) & wouldn't be available for 300(Strickland). Conor is a big draw still but 300 needs STAKES at the top we can all agree, as well as star-power.

-Oliviera has among the most social media follows & most social media views, undoubtedly a huge star. He is also the legit #1 contender bringing big stakes given his resume. And, if Volk wins vs Islam his star will be bigger than ever for a myriad of reasons. Star vs Star.

-UFC will have to talk Volk into vacating 145 & not taking the Ilia fight though. Volk's management said earlier this week they would stay at 155 so I think this isn't a problem. Because realistically a fight vs Ilia does nothing compared to headlining 300 vs Charles.

Volk vs Charles
O'Malley vs Chito
Conor vs Chandler

297-299 = vacant FW + Zhang/Xiaonon, Strickland, & vacant HW

Obviously this is all moot if Islam wins as expected, but it's been the year of the unexpected so far.

I am almost 100% sure on Ronda :)

When Dana goes to the media and denies it will ever happen, it will most likely happen... :rolleyes:

#Ronda300

If volk beats Islam is going to be volk/mcgregor. No doubt in my mind

That's a nice call, could totally see it. Would suck for Chandler. Maybe he could get Paddy(beats Tony) or Masvidal(probably needs money) instead as a consolation instead.

Strickland will fight the winner of Usman/Chimaev at UFC 298..

McGregor won't waste his time on an opponent he can't beat. No version of Conor can compete with volk. Conor never wastes his time on bad match-ups anymore.

Volk is stylistically bad match-up.. Conor wants to fight Gaethje now for the BMF again Gaethje is someone conor has avoided for almost 5 years now but due to the BMF he could change his mind but when it comes to Conor fighting Volk no not a chance

Last edited:
I was going to say there’s no way that fight would headline a major card like UFC 300, but then I remembered who headlined UFC 200 once Jones-DC fell through.

Conor vs Chandler or Nate if they can get him to re-sign
Ronda vs Pena or Holly

Willl be the headliners imo

McGregor won't waste his time on an opponent he can't beat. No version of Conor can compete with volk. Conor never wastes on his time on bad match-ups anymore.

Volk is stylistically bad match-up.. Conor wants to fight Gaethje now for the BMF again Gaethje is someone conor has avoided for almost 5 years now but due to the BMF he could change his mind but when it comes to Conor fighting Volk no not a chance
Conor likes reasons for fights. He keeps taking shots at volk and would claim the fight is for the greatest 145 champ ever. Conor would love the reach advantage. That being said, volk starches him

Back