SledgeHammer Training: What exactly are it's benefits?

Knockologist

White Belt
Reaction score
I was reading the Fedor thread and they said he use sledgehammers.

I know that they would work out the shoulders, Lats, perhaps traps, Tris.

But what would it help you with?

Rotation, core conditioning, cardio, GPP... shit, just get a tire and a 12-16 lb hammer and have at it and see how fuckin hard it is. It's meant to mimic chopping wood (old boxing training method). if you haven't tried it, you won't understand, so I suggest you learn by doing.

Not to mention what it will do for your hands, wrists, and forearms. Sledgehammer work is a man maker.

I think I need a heavier hammer, mine is pretty easy.

Definitely gonna try this. Shit, can you imagine if it bounced of and hit your shins.

Poseidon said:
Definitely gonna try this. Shit, can you imagine if it bounced of and hit your shins.

learn to swing a sledge or axe properly and it'll never happen.

Mr.Maximal said:
learn to swing a sledge or axe properly and it'll never happen.

I live a couple states south of Washington, and I have several friends who used to take summers lumberjacking. I think there are many lumberjackers who would disagree with you.

Learn to swing properly and it is far less likely to happen. But toes go missing, every once in a while, man, it's an ugly business.

Poseidon said:

This happened to me the first time I tried it. I was getting into it so much that it didnt hurt at all...oddly, no pain ever showed up.

Needless to say, I learned that I needed to grip the shit out of the hammer. I want to add that my grip has GREATLY improved since I started doing this about once a week. My DL is no long limited by my grip, so have some room to improve in that area.

FYI, if you havent purchased a sledge hammer yet, get one with a good fiber-glass handle and a rubber collar, so the head doesnt break off if you hit it wrong.

Madmick said:
I live a couple states south of Washington, and I have several friends who used to take summers lumberjacking. I think there are many lumberjackers who would disagree with you.

Learn to swing properly and it is far less likely to happen. But toes go missing, every once in a while, man, it's an ugly business.

were your friends buff...did they hit wicked hod??? =P

Madmick said:

My grandfather was a lumberjack. Back in the days he put the ax -through- his leg. Natural reaction was to go home and put on his best costume before he managed to take himself 10k to the doctor.. You wasnt at the doctor everyday...

True story.. And yeah, old man know how to swing an ax...

accidents happen because people get careless, even lumberjacks.

Good stuff guys. What is the recommended trye size and hammer weight? depends on what you can handle for as few hits. Also how long would you hit it for? treat it as a normal cardio W/O?

Mr.Maximal said:
accidents happen because people get careless, even lumberjacks.

Yes, and tired. The two go hand in hand.

killer_kicks88 said:
were your friends buff...did they hit wicked hod??? =P

No, they were just kids working hard for better summer money than flipping burgers.

Some other friends would go fishing in Alaska. That was hard work. But Clayton would pull $5,000-6,000 a summer doing that, and he got the lowest cut on the boat (since they apportion it according to experience, I guess).

I got a pathetic 10 lb sledgehammer.

I feel like a wuss. I can swing this piece of shit the whole day.

Reno Depot only sells 10 lb sledges max.

Anyone know where i can find a 20 lb one?

Got mine at a hardware store. Call around. Phonebooks are good for otherthings besides ripping.

Sledgehammer, tire flipping, barrel tosses, wood chopping and sled dragging are great GPP work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back