sledgehamer training ?

• Thread starter DaGREATkabookie**
  • Start date
D

DaGREATkabookie**

is it possable to start out w/a large sledge say 18# or so or should i start out w/ a smaller one about 10# or so, also has anyone been injured training w/ them joint or muscle types NOT hitting yourself. i was thinking about getting the large one and working up in time spent useing it or do you think im asking for an injury.THANKS

8lb hammer is about right, even for the big guys, going heavier just slows things down to much in my opinion

I disagee. If you can handle it, I say a 16 is okay. The main thing is to be sure that you stay explosive throughout the set. If you don't, you may as well just lift.
16 can work, but most(even those in good shape) should probably work their way up to it.

have you felt an 18 lb sledgehammer yet? had an opportunity to swing one? I use my 20 lb sometimes, but it's certainly a lot slower going than the 8. I'd say start with a 10 to be honest. but it really depends on your goals. Why do you want to use sledgehammer for conditioning?

You can always buy a heavy one and just choke up your grip on it. As you get stronger move your grip toward the end of the handle.

BC.

I dunno but I think the one Fedor uses is 75 pounds! I saw him slamming it into a tire.

In the documentary, his trainer said 34 Kilos (34 Kilos = 74.96 pounds)

Swing one to try it out at your local hardware store. I bought a 10lb and it has increased my grip faster and funner than any other exercise I've done, but now I need a bigger one.

Oops, I'm getting the feeling that I don't understand what you're going to use it for. I thought you were going to lever it to your forehead.

BC.

HAHAHAHA! no BC, asside from levering sledges, we beat on tires with them around here. Most people don't lever though (even though it'd be tremendously beneficial to their fight game if they did).

I'm thinking about heading down to the local steel yard to get a price check on some 2" rolled steel for an adjustable sledgehammer handle. Those big fucking warhammers at torque athletic got me thinking, "why not just slap a couple plates at the end of a pole and use that as a super heavy sledgehammer?" So I'm going to see if I can make it happen. All in all, it SHOULD save me like at least 100 bucks, but a 2" handle is HUGE.

Thanks, Urban. I've heard of hitting tires with it too (can't remember where). I just see sledgehammer and automatically think lever to forehead. Yeah, I'm a grip geek.

BC.

Urban said:
have you felt an 18 lb sledgehammer yet? had an opportunity to swing one? I use my 20 lb sometimes, but it's certainly a lot slower going than the 8. I'd say start with a 10 to be honest. but it really depends on your goals. Why do you want to use sledgehammer for conditioning?

the tire style, wont even think of levering an 18 id berak my wrist and my foot, im gonna use it for a weighted cardio and to develop some unused muscles also goning to use it in a cricuit, burpies, punchouts, hammer exercise type.

Urban said:
HAHAHAHA! no BC, asside from levering sledges, we beat on tires with them around here. Most people don't lever though (even though it'd be tremendously beneficial to their fight game if they did).

I'm thinking about heading down to the local steel yard to get a price check on some 2" rolled steel for an adjustable sledgehammer handle. Those big fucking warhammers at torque athletic got me thinking, "why not just slap a couple plates at the end of a pole and use that as a super heavy sledgehammer?" So I'm going to see if I can make it happen. All in all, it SHOULD save me like at least 100 bucks, but a 2" handle is HUGE.

ive thought about the same thing NOT the 2" handle though, but how would you keep it on weld a collar on, or do you know of some thing strong enough to take a beating w/a large amout of weight.

and if fedor DOES use a 75#er thats just unbelievable.

Sledges are a good tool for developing speed and grip. You can increase the grip component by adding athletic tape to the handle.

How does adding tape increase your grip?

I know this is a dumb question but when you guys swing, do you start with one hand by the heavy part and one at the bottom and as you swing, slide the bottom hand to the top near the heavy part?

*Puts on flame retardent suit*

Urban, I bought a 16 lb hammer a few months back and it just got easy for me. Going off our discussions of making a hammer, I decided to slip three 5 lb olympic plates down the hammer and with the rubber thats on the hammer the plates stay still. I'm sure I'm going to break my hammer soon, but for now it's working alright. The plates stay sturdy, but I put a couple strands of duct tape around just to be sure it stays. I can get 30 reps in before I need a rest, I go for three sets. When I take the weights off though, 16 lbs is like a feather.

How does adding tape increase your grip?

You can create a "fat" handled sledge. Wraps several layers of tape around the handle and pretty soon you'll have upwards of a 2" diameter handle. We have done this technique to create "fat" handled dumbbells and barbells. Works very well. Hope this helps...

wilhelm, neither of those is intended for beating a tire. and both (especially after shipping) will cost more than creating your own.

for anyone interested, I made a 50 lb hammer, and that shit is HEAVY. I can't even imagine what a 150 lb hammer would feel like. that'd just be insane.

I know... just thought I'd post it as a lazy man's option for some sort of adjustable sledge, though you're right -- you certainly wouldn't want to beat a tire with it. I saw your post on your homemade version. That's pretty damn cool. Is that the 50 pounder you're referring to or do you have something else that you actually hit tires with.

i use a 16lber for 3 min rounds, and i would say i'm in good shape.

Back