SL 3x5 Deadlift advice

AW9000+

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I weigh around 135 lbs and can't seem to progress beyond 285 lbs on deadlifts, been hovering at this weight for about a few months whereas all my other lifts have progressed. I've been sticking to the 1x5 but at this point I'm getting frustrated and am wondering if I should increase it or just stick it out. I squat at 245 lbs right now, so just comparing from others, I reckon my deadlifts should be higher than what it is currently.

So, if I have this right, you can do, and have been doing 285lbs for 1 set of 5 on Deadlifts, but can't do, for example 290lbs for 1 set of 5 reps?

Would you be able to do 3 x 5 with 285lbs? Or sets of 3 with 290lbs? If so, yes I don't think it would hurt to add some volume, but this is coming from me, and I also struggle with the deadlift.

Don't compare yourself to others. There are some people who squat more than they deadlift, so there is no rule that says you should be able to deadlift x% of your squat.

It sounds like you're doing starting strength by the way you describe your program, but I could be wrong. If it's been more than 3 workouts and you continue to not add weight to the bar drop by 10% on your deadlift and work your way back up. More than likely you will find that you'll be able to hit 290 when you've worked up to it again over several workouts.

It never hurts to take some video of your form. Maybe there is something in your deadlift form that is holding you back. As SteveX suggested you can also try deloading by 10% and then working back up. Another option would be switch to a triple instead of a set of 5 and progress on that for a while until you stall then go back to 285x5 and start progressing on 5's again.

Milk: I get to maybe two reps then struggle lol. Would have to drop 5-10 lbs to do 3x5.

Steve/Dan: Right, I do recall that sometimes when I've gotten stuck at a weight, stopped lifting for a while then came back starting at a lower weight, was able to get passed it. I'll try working my way up, thanks. And er, yeah it was SS, my bad.

Milk: I get to maybe two reps then struggle lol. Would have to drop 5-10 lbs to do 3x5.

Steve/Dan: Right, I do recall that sometimes when I've gotten stuck at a weight, stopped lifting for a while then came back starting at a lower weight, was able to get passed it. I'll try working my way up, thanks. And er, yeah it was SS, my bad.
I forget how it is with SS, but if its like madcow, its not really intended to go the full length. You'd stall approaching the end. Most usually have to deload and reset around the 8-10th week

Have you tried eating more and not weighing 135?

I weigh around 135 lbs and can't seem to progress beyond 285 lbs on deadlifts, been hovering at this weight for about a few months whereas all my other lifts have progressed. I've been sticking to the 1x5 but at this point I'm getting frustrated and am wondering if I should increase it or just stick it out. I squat at 245 lbs right now, so just comparing from others, I reckon my deadlifts should be higher than what it is currently.

Adding weight to yourself should definitely help break past any plateaus. The biggest part of breaking past a plateau is taking a hard look at what type of numbers you have. So you're doing 1 set of 5 reps at 285 lbs? You are only able to get 1 set of 3 reps at 290? For one, I find that incredibly unlikely, but in case that is true, I would do something like the following.

1 set of 3 reps at 290.
1 set of 1 rep at 290
1 set of 1 rep at 290
1 set of 1 rep at 290.

So basically you're doing an AMRAP (as many reps as possible) for the first set. Then you follow it up with a few singles at the same weight with as little rest as possible in between sets. Eventually you'll do 4 reps on the first set. Then you'll be back where you should be.

Eat More and then Sumo when you're too fat to get down to the bar.

If your max is 290, drop to 80% of your max (232) and work volume. Don't get confused with volume having to be high reps.

Do 10 sets of 3. Focus on speed and form. Add 5 to 10 pounds each week. You'll be hitting your max for a triple in no time, then change up once you plateau.

Back