Skinny White Boy Projecy MkII

Eastie Boy

White Belt
Reaction score
*If someone could fix the typo in the thread heading that'd be great! Otherwise that'll learn me

Real world name: Graham

D.O.B: October 13, 1988

First started lifting weights: November 2009

Martial Arts:
- Boxing on and off since the end of 2008
- Muay Thai since the end of August 2010
- Judo since the end of August 2010
- MMA since September 2010
- BJJ since September 2010

Other sports:
- Australian Football 1999 - 2009
- Basketball 1995 - 2005

Injury history:
- Compartment release surgery on both calves April 2009
- Ongoing right knee problem from impact injury playing football
- Minor shoulder impingement problems
- Done my hammy a few times as well

Training related details:
Height - 178cm or 5'10"
Weight - 70.5kg or 156lbs
Max Deadlift - 125kg
Max Bench Press - 70kg
Chin Ups max reps - 12

Goals:
Weight - 75kg
Deadlift 1RM - 200kg
Squat 1RM - somewhere around 175kg
Bench Press 1RM - 150kg

Chin Ups max reps - 20
Starting competing in anything and everything I can!
Highland Games comp in April 2011.

Last edited:
September 6-12

Monday
- Boxing from 5 til 6.30. Normally it's from 4.30 but I went to see the chiro cos my back had been playing up. Then off to the gym . . .

Squat - worked up to a 3RM of 100lbs on the bar, pushed out 2 at 120lbs but couldn't even move the bar on the 3rd. I was a bit annoyed cos before I went on holidays I did 5 box squats at 150lbs. Hopefully I get the strength back pretty soon!
DB Lunges - 2 x 15 per leg with 10lb DB in each hand
Leg curls on a swiss ball - 3 x 12 with 2 legs. will try with 1 next time
Ab circuit consisting of Sit Ups, Toe touches, Leg Raises and Seated Twists - 2 sets of 20 for each except the twists (got 15 out on the last set)

Tuesday - Judo from 6 til 7 then Muay Thai straight after til 8.30. Finally got to do something other than practicing falling over at Judo - I got to get thrown over! Muay Thai spent a good 30 minutes working on just clinches with different partners. Controlled the other newbies but one of the more experienced guys gave me an absolute pasting

Wednesday. More strength work in the gym
Bench Press - Worked to a 3RM of 80lbs. Like the Squat I was a bit disappointed cos I had done 5x5 with 100lbs previously (that was without racks as well)
Incline DB Press - 2 x 20 with 25lb DBs
Superset. 1. DB row - 3 x 12 @ 25lbs
2. Kneeling scarecrow - 2 x 15, 1 x 14 @ 10 on the stack (dunno what the measurement is but I'd guess pounds)
Shrug m/c (neutral grip) - 4 x 15 @190lbs
Alternating DB curls - 3 x 12 w/25lb DBs

Thursday
- was meant to play tennis for my dads friend (they were short on numbers) so had to skip Judo and Muay Thai :( Didn't end up playing cos the other team forfeit so wasn't thrilled

Friday - Boxing again from 4.30 - 6.30
Jump training -
Broad Jumped 2.6m (the longest distance from 6 jumps; that was the 5th jump)
Reverse BB Lunge - 3 x 15 with an empty bar. I'd never done these before and with my knee wasn't too keen to push my limits straight away
Reverse Hyperextension - 3 x 12. I can feel that these work my posterior chain but I get a really painful and weird sensation at the base of my spine when i dismount so I'm considering dropping them . . .
Weighted sit ups w/ a 4kg Med ball - 4 x 15

Sunday - Felt as flat as a tack but made myself go to the gym
Chin ups - sets of 10, 7 and 7 reps. Could tell after the first couple I wasn't going to be breaking any records today
Supersets. 1. Straight Arm Lat Pulldown - 3 x 12 @ 40lbs
2. External Shoulder Rotation w/DB - 1 x 15, 2 x 13 @ 8lbs
Lateral Raise (elbows at 90degrees) - 3 x 10, 1 x 8 w/ 20lb DBs
Supersets. 1. DB shrug - 3 x 15 w/55lb DBs
2. DB overhead triceps extension - 3 x 15 @ 20lbs
Wrist roller machine - 2 x 2 @ 15kg

September 13 - 19.

Monday - just strength training tonight
Squat from pins - got to 3 x 135lbs, put 1 out at 150 fairly easily but started getting a hot sensation in my groin area so decided to play it safe
Lunges - 2 x 15 w/ 15lb DBs
Leg curls on the swiss ball - 3 x 12 w/ one leg
Ab circuit - same as last week but got 20 reps out on everything the second set this time

Tuesday
Judo and Muay Thai. Much the same as last Tuesday but there was a little bit of sparring in Judo

Wednesday
Bench from pins - 90lbs x 3 as a max set. Was aiming for 100lbs but didnt get there :(
Incline DB press - 30lb DBS, 1 x 20, 1 x 25
Superset - DB row - 3 x 12 @ 30lbs, Kneeling scarecrow 3 x 15 @ 10 on m/c
Shrug m/c - 4 x 15 @ 220lbs (I can do these fairly easily but the weight feels like it's compressing my spine so I'm going to change to trap bar shrugs next time)
Alternating DB curls - 3 x 15 w/ 25lb DBs

Thursday
On Tuesday I found out a guy in my Judo class takes a Teen BJJ and MMA class on the days I can make it so I rocked up to the BJJ class. Seemed to pick up on the moves pretty quickly (the ones we got shown anyway). Rolling used WAY more isometric contractions than I had anticipated so I'm going to try and put more into my weight training along with concentric overload (I think this is the term) exercises.

Friday Got home from work late then went to a local gig. It was after I fell asleep driving home that I realised I may have to rethink my training (particularly later in the week when I'm more fatigued).

September 20 - 24

Monday Decided to skip weights this week (due to feeling run down and I'd had a weird tingling in my back from a pinched nerve for a few days and wanted it to settle after the chiro) and went to boxing instead. Did a few rounds of sparring and dropped a couple of guys with shots to the ribs but got hit in the nose with a couple of straights. Dunno whether I just hadn't eaten properly or not but I felt a lot slower than I did when I was going to boxing more frequently (I guess the answer is probably there :D) so that will be something I monitor.

Tuesday
Went to the teen MMA class. The lesson predominantly focussed on 2 basical takedown techniques where the initial movement was the same. Also did basic bag work where it was suggested by the instructor that I work more on my southpaw stance as my right jab is noticeably stronger than my left (I'm apparently also less prone to slipping into bad technique than when in an orthodox stance) and my left leg kicks were a lot harder than my right (which I thought was pretty unusual).
After that was Judo which was essentially the same as previous except I did some sparring with the better guys and got schooled.
At MT I made an effort to be more 'crisp' with my punches after boxing on Monday and found that I was alright for a while then started gassed pretty bad. I'm going to keep trying to go at the same intensity though as I believe it will benefit me in the long run.
More clinching tonight, copped a few knees towards the end as I began to fatigure but I think my basic skills have improved, and I've learnt how to use my height to advantage a bit better.

Pulled up horribly sore the next couple of days, then the combination of work hours and other commitments ie house hunting meant I couldn't do much outside of some stretches/basic exercises at home but I'm planning on going to the gym tomorrow morning and getting back into the swing of things next week :)

If your goal is to gain strength and size I would recommend Rippetoe's Starting strength. There is a 2 day split version of this program in the sticky section.

You are doing far too many exercises and you should not be doing isolation work at this time. You are hampering your gains more than helping them at this point. You need to be focusing on the compound lifts: Squats, Dead lift, Military press, Bench Press, Power Cleans. Rippetoe's program is one of the best for gaining strength and mass.

What does your diet look like? How many calories are you taking in a day? You need to be taking in a surplus of calories to truly make gains. You have a lot of activity with no rest periods so you are going to have to take in a lot of calories. I mean 6-8 meals a day.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/faq-update-beginner-intermediate-routines-1210858/

Last edited:
Cheers for the advice, might have a look at the 2-day split.

Right now I'm only getting about 4,000 calories but I've got an appointment with a dietician on Monday.
I've worked out roughly that I wanna be in the 6,000+ range so I'll be targeting that each day.

We have a similar-ish schedule. I train MMA (mostly muay thai, boxing, wrestling (and sparring)) 3 non-consecutive days per week. I can manage 3 weights workouts per week because I of the gaps in between. But seeing as it looks like you're doing MMA training mon-friday you could try starting strength two days per week?

Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Squat 3x5
OHP 3x5
Bent Over Row 3x5

Add chin-ups or pull-ups on the end if you like.

It's just my two cents but you would still gain weight/size doing two days. The biggest difference with that and the 2 day split in the FAQ is more squatting.

I'm running the program made by Glenn Pendlay in the FAQ. You could look into that as well. The weighted conditioning stuff is great for MMA.

Finally: GO SAINTERS!

I'm a Dons supporter so I'm happy as long as Lollingwood don't win :p

Whereabouts do you train wrestling?

*edit*
I had some success earlier in the year (probably the only period where I have) doing a 5 x 5 program (sans squats cos of my knee). I've found the Bill Starr and Stronglifts versions but there was another (well at least I think so) that was a slightly varied 2-day whole body split with push ups on one day that I liked the look of. Neither of you (or anyone else) know of it?

Last edited:
I'm a Dons supporter so I'm happy as long as Lollingwood don't win :p
I'm a deez supporter... so I'm in the same boat as you.

Whereabouts do you train wrestling?
I'm at Melbourne MMA for MT/Boxing/MMA (technique and cardio) and MCA Martial Arts for sparring on weekends...! My friends run boxing, kickboxing, wrestling and MMA sparring depending on what we feel like.

Where abouts do you train?

Malvern Martial Arts.

Only been going since I started the log basically . . .

It's a bit of a drive (and I go past Ultimate and Revolution to get there) but they had the biggest training selection (though I did find a place in Richmond that offers even more - but I've not heard about them), and were one of the only places to offer Judo (just for something different :))

Ok, I think the program I was thinking of was an older version of Stronglifts 5x5 . . . But I can't find it (not yet anyway)

*edit*
found the program -
Workout A
squat 5 x 5
bench 5 x 5
inverted rows 3 x F
push ups 3 x F
reverse crunch 3 x 12

Workout B
squat 5 x 5
o/h press 5 x 5
deadlift 1 x 5
pull up variation 3 x F
prone holds 3 x 30 seconds

Might tweak it a bit but keep the principles the same

Last edited:
ok . . .

WORKOUT A -
1. Squat 5x5
2. Bench Press 5x5
3. Push Up variation eg feet raised, rings, standard 1xto failure
4. Dynamic BB Row 5x5
5. 45 degree Hyperextensions 3x12
6. Underhand Band Pull Aparts 100 Reps

WORKOUT B -
1. Deadlift 1x3
2. Single Legged Squat 3x10
3. Push Press or DB Press 5x5
4. Inverted Row or Chin Up variation 1xto failure
5. Prone Hold variation 3x30-60seconds
6. External rotation w/band 50 reps per arm/side

Did workout A y/day in the garage cos my gym was closed (damn AFL grand final <_<).
My warm up basically consisted of moving stuff outta the way to get to the weights.

Squat - 5 x 5 @ 105lbs on the bar. I know I can easily do more, but I don't have a power rack at home so getting the bar onto my back was a little tricky
Bench - 5 x 5 @ 85lbs
Push Ups - 20 (these were done immediately after the last bench set)
BB Row - 5 x 5 @ 50lbs
Hyperextensions - 3 x 12. these were a lil difficult as I had to wrap my feet around my bench to hold myself in place and they kept slipping.
Band Pull Aparts - 50, 30, 20

Week starting Monday 27/9.

Monday Started my tafe course and cos I had to fill in some paperwork so didn't have enough time to hit the weights (there's a gym on campus)
Tuesday MMA and Judo. For the first time in MMA came up against someone bigger than me (I've been doing the teen class cos I can't get to the adult class) whilst grapping and did pretty well, although I still got sucked into trying to outmuscle him once or twice when I shouldn't have. Good learning experience though. Judo was pretty active, a lot more full on throws and falls compared to the normal technique practise (though there was still plenty of this).
Wednesday Got to tafe early enough to get in 30 minutes of weights (did a 10-15 minute warm up first). Didn't complete my whole routine so might have to condense it a lil bit more. Anyways . . .
Deadlift - worked to a 1 Rep max of 125kg (including the bar - this gym has Olympic bumper plates). Probably a bit more than I expected, but then again I was pulling from higher than my old gym (where the diameter of the plates were smaller). Pretty happy though seeing as I hadn't Deadlifted in almost 6 months.
One Leg Squat (the freestanding one like GSP does) - BW x 6, 10kg x 6, 15kg x 6, BW x 6. Strength wise I feel I could definitely use more weight, just struggle a bit with balance and moving in the same plane of motion in each rep.
DB shoulder press - 15kg x 5, 20kg x 5, 20kg x 5 (I realised I was running out of time here so skipped the last couple of sets)
Neutral grip chins - BW x 10, 10kg x 3. First set was a bit less than normal (12) but I had deadlifted (grip issues?) and I really concentrated of making my eccentric phase last as long as possible.

Sunday October 3
Back to my old gym for a session
DB Bench press - 2 x 50lb DBs 5 x 5reps
1. Seated Cable row (close grip) - 40kg 3 x 6reps
2. Band pull aparts - 3 x 30reps
Timed push ups (1:1 work ratio) 30 (30s) 18(20s) 11(10s)

Came up with the last one cos I did em in my PT class the day before and some guy did 51 in 30 seconds (I only mustered 32) so it gives me something to aim for! Plus I feel I can work on my endurance a bit. Would've gone higher on the DB press but it meant I would have had to walk across the gym to the "roid" side of the gym and I couldn't be bothered (bad I know)

Monday October 4
Pre-class workout
1. BB Squat - 80kg 5 x 5reps
2. Alternating 1 Leg DB deadlift - 40kg 3 x 6reps
3. Cable adductions - 5kg 3 x 10reps

My TRX unit also got dropped off which I was happy about =] Also timed my workout almost perfectly to fit in before class which was a bonus as well

Schedule has been a bit all over the place (and is probably going to get to worse the next few weeks) but still managed some decent weight room time the last few weeks.

6/10/2010.
Supinated grip pull ups @ BW+20kg x 1/1/1 @ BW x 8
1. Shoulder press @ 30kg (2x15kg DB) x 6/6/6
2. DB row @ 15kg x 6/6/6
3. Crossack squat @ 15kg x 6/6/6 (probably struggle with the movement more than the weight on these)

11/10/2010
BB Bench press @ 70kg x 1/1/1
1. Seated cable row @ 45kg x 8 @ 55kg 6/6
2. DB Lateral raise with 5kg isometric neck hold @ 5kg DBs 10/10
3. Single arm angled cable shrug @ 40kg 10/10

18/10/2010 (hurt my shoulder at tennis as some stage between these 2 workouts so only did pulling exercises this night)
Jump shrug @ 70kg x 3/3/3/3/3
1. 'Lazy' lat pull down (loosened technique to emphasise lats) @ 36kg x 15/15/15
2. Reverse DB fly on incline bench @ 5kg DB x 15/15/15
3. Alternating arm/leg raises from prone hold x 20/20/20
4. Eccentric Glute Ham raise (the non-apparatus one) x 4/4/4

20/10/2010 (suffered some major DOMS from the jumps and GHR!)
Sumo deadlift @ 100kg x 5/5/5/5
Hammer grip pull up @ BW x 3, @ 10kg x 3, @ 20kg x 3/1 *I failed twice @ 30kg before the last single @ 20kg
Push Press @ 40kg x 5/5/5/5/5

23/10/2010

Box squat @ 85kg 2/2/2/2/1/1 this felt shitloads heavier than the 80kg from the other day but I was going a bit deeper so that probably explains it
TRX Inverted row @BW 8/8/8/8 kinda cheated the last couple of reps by thrusting my hips a bit
DB Bench Press @ 50kg 3/3/3/3 could handle the weight pretty easy. getting into starting position was a bit of a struggle.

Last edited:
Back