Skim vs. 2% vs. Whole Milk

G

Gavin LeFever

I'm having a hard time downing more calories these days so I'm off water and onto milk. Since I'm bulking, I would venture to guess whole being my best route.

Thoughts?

I am trying to do a "clean bulk" like a hyper-caloric Berardi regimen with a few tweaks. The only big change is not limiting myself to lean meats, and maybe more carbs than usual.

I prefer 2% even though whole milk is probobly better. Also I highly reccomend you stick with lean meats. Extra milk fat is fine but fatty animal fats isn't optimal.

Whole milk is awesome for bulking and it's clean if you get organic (no hormones etc). In fact, the 2% and 1% milk are made with powdered milk and have oxidized cholesterol in some cases.

Aren't animal fats better since their about 50% monosaturated?

I remember berardi saying that 1/3rd of you fats should be from saturated fats. So if you want to add more animal fats, up the fish oil, veggies, and olive oil. I cook everything in olive oil and take 2 olive oil shots a day. I also add heavy whipping cream to my milk or make it 50%milk/50% half and half.

Go with whole raw milk if you can find some. Pasteurized milk has a bunch of messed up problems.

Also consider a clif bar and 500ml of milk for one daily snack, and something else + 500ml more milk for another daily snack.

I like 1% because it is a compromise between flavor and fat, but if all you care about energy, by all means, drink it whole !

Um.. is milk fat not animal fat?

ya milk fat from whole milk is fine. yogurts and cheese in moderation is good as well. And styles is right about the 1/3 of each type of fat. However theres a reason that berardi reccomends lean meats. Fatty meats have large amounts of saturated fat in the double digits.

I usually switch between 2% and whole Milk everytime I go shopping and have been drinking it constantly my whole life. I friggin love milk! lol!

Go with whole raw milk if you can find some. Pasteurized milk has a bunch of messed up problems.

Do you eat your red meat, fish, and chicken raw too then? Pastuerization is basically the same thing as cooking except it's a shorter 30 second flash heating. It's protects from tuberculosis and plenty of other disgusting bacterial disorders, the reason it was invented in the first place becuase of the nasties from raw milk.

Do you eat your red meat, fish, and chicken raw too then? Pastuerization is basically the same thing as cooking except it's a shorter 30 second flash heating. It's protects from tuberculosis and plenty of other disgusting bacterial disorders, the reason it was invented in the first place becuase of the nasties from raw milk.

http://www.realmilk.com/

Pasteurization destroys enzymes, diminishes vitamin content, denatures fragile milk proteins, destroys vitamins C, B12 and B6, kills beneficial bacteria, promotes pathogens and is associated with allergies, increased tooth decay, colic in infants, growth problems in children, osteoporosis, arthritis, heart disease and cancer. Calves fed pasteurized milk do poorly and many die before maturity. Raw milk sours naturally but pasteurized milk turns putrid; processors must remove slime and pus from pasteurized milk by a process of centrifugal clarification. Inspection of dairy herds for disease is not required for pasteurized milk. Pasteurization was instituted in the 1920s to combat TB, infant diarrhea, undulant fever and other diseases caused by poor animal nutrition and dirty production methods. But times have changed and modern stainless steel tanks, milking machines, refrigerated trucks and inspection methods make pasteurization absolutely unnecessary for public protection. And pasteurization does not always kill the bacteria for Johne

I think you will find most of the problems come from the farmers not handling the milk properly. It's perfectly safe if you know what you are doing/getting. The milk you buy from the shop probably has some estrogen added for good measure. Raw organic milk over that pasteurized hormone riddled shit any day.

WHole milk. Some people will say that the fat in milk is useless, but whole milk will increase IGF-1 more than skim. It's almost always better to go with the most unrefined version of any food.

some folks believe that all or most foods should be raw to retain the most nutrients. hence rare/med-rare steaks and sushi and etc.

where are you guys buying your raw organic whole milk? whole foods? i doubt costco carries it, unfortunately.

WHole milk. Some people will say that the fat in milk is useless, but whole milk will increase IGF-1 more than skim. It's almost always better to go with the most unrefined version of any food.

IGF1? Nope. Source?

some folks believe that all or most foods should be raw to retain the most nutrients. hence rare/med-rare steaks and sushi and etc.

where are you guys buying your raw organic whole milk? whole foods? i doubt costco carries it, unfortunately.

There's a big diet fad going on here on the west coast where people are pretty much only eating raw foods because they retain the nutrients. All veggies are steamed, meat is consumed raw, etc. Even with sushi, they only eat the fish and leave the rice since the rice is cooked.

For the raw organic whole milk, I know I've seen it at both Whole Foods and Trader Joe's out here in Vegas.

OK, but then again do you eat your red meat, chicken, and fish raw too? Those weston price activists claim that heat kills the good bacteria but then what would be the point of cooking any food at all because heat would damage every food?

Possibly, however I haven't tried eating raw meat (except sushi). I have, however, drank raw milk for an extended period of time and thought it was an improvement. So I refrain from judging raw meat eating, though it doesn't sound particularly appealing.

I get mine (when I can afford it) from a local healthfood store. They get it from a local farm. Seems to be rare in my state, though.

Back