Skill training?

Boxeo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys i need your opinions. Do you do cardio before or after your training sessions? I know in boxing we always did conditioning first, and then the rest. Well i've heard two different sides of this. Supposedly if your dog tired your techniques when shadowboxing is sacrificed, and you begin to replace fine movments with gross, sloppy ones. However i've also heard (from a bjj guy if that makes any difference) that if your tired you are forced to rely on technique? What do you guys think?

Holla back, (and thanks)

Boxeo

I'm not sure the right way to do it. I have much more bjj experience than stand up, so I don't mind being tired when grappling because my technique is decent. My stand up technique isn't that good, so I'd rather be fresh to focus on my technique. But I change it up to try and keep it new.
Plus, I'm not sure if you do MMA or BJJ, but the days of pure technique BJJ in MMA are over. You've got to use some muscle now whereas before no one knew what those damn Gracies were doing.

I guess that doesn't really answer your question at all. Sorry.

If you go to any and I mean any BJJ class they do conditioning before. Now I have worked out with some really hardcore stand up guys and if you are doing something that is new and takes some cordination then you will want to do that drill before cardio. This is why, When you are tired or your muscles are fatigued you will not be able to do the harder things needed.

I would say that generally, Stand up technique is refined before exhausting yourself. When your muscles are blasted, you're not throwing high kicks or hooks with focus on the alignment of bones and muscles, proper hip/waist torque, etc. You're just flinging your limb to get the point across. Bruce Lee's Tao of JKD book also had mention that refining your movements should be done before fatiguing the muscles. (No, it's not Bruce Lee 'nuthugging', it's using a professional, experienced, and incredibly skillful martial artist as a point of reference for training)

However, I think that the ground game is the opposite. I think fatigue should be set in for working on the grappling techniques, because you're less likely to 'force' something, and will have to work on the angle of attack and finesse more than just muscling through. This is for training, not for actual competition, though. You'll learn alot more if you grapple while fatigued, but if you stand-up while fatigued, you're more likely to end up with an injury.

we do condining at the end after ether 2 and a half hours of grappling or strikeing

i think it depends on what sport you are into and what you are going to do for conditioning. ideally if you have to do both in one day you can break it up and do one in the morning and the other in the later part of the day etc. in most cases i think it is best to do conditioning after the skill training becuase often when you are tired (after conditioning) you will resort to poor technique and cut corners and stuff like that

combatjujitsu said:
we do condining at the end after ether 2 and a half hours of grappling or strikeing

I wish I had that type of time. How many times do you train per week?

For grappling, we do as above. We roll balls out and switch partners every 10 minutes, for 60 minutes. Then, we work on new technique.

I've always done skill training last, not only because it's a staple general rule of thumb in Boxing, but because one of the best goals to have in Boxing is to be able to flurry at any moment, ANY moment. Even when you feel like you're too tired to chain together a combination. Plus, it's good practice for reaching those moments in fights when you're hurt, you're tired, and all you have left is your fundamentals and your will not to lose.

i usually work technique first and endurance last, it seems to work for me.

I can see where skill training after training hard on cardio and being fairly tired would be a good thing. It'll help your body get used to functioning during fatigue, like after several rounds in a fight.

a buddy of mine who trains does cardio and weights in the morning and training in the evening, if you've got the time that might work.

sometimes, imo, it would be good to do cardio right before to pre-fatigue yourself and be forced to train tired, like the BJJ guy you talked to said. Also cardio at the end sometimes would be good as to further your expand your gas tank.

I might try the doing cardio before training. It might make my body adapt to fighting tired.

King Kabuki said:
I've always done skill training last, not only because it's a staple general rule of thumb in Boxing, but because one of the best goals to have in Boxing is to be able to flurry at any moment, ANY moment. Even when you feel like you're too tired to chain together a combination. Plus, it's good practice for reaching those moments in fights when you're hurt, you're tired, and all you have left is your fundamentals and your will not to lose.

This seems like the route to take.

Back