Single vs. Double mouth guard

Mojorisin99

Green Belt
Reaction score
Seems lke everyone prefers wearing a single rather than double mouth guard but what about if you get hit on the lower jaw? Does it offer any protection for your lower teeth? Looks like Diego knocked Karo's lower tooth out with that knee.

I use one of those brain pad double mouth guards. I honestly like it alot because I can breathe through my mouth better even when my jaws are clenched and there's never a time when my mouth is just hanging open. The only downside is that since it's so big it always look like I have a shit eating grin on my face. But hey, maybe it's better that after a guy connects with a clean punch I just smile back.

I have a custom from Protech and it's a single i think most of the pro MMA fighters use signle. Protech does make doubles also though.

Mojorisin99 said:
Thanks for the link. Are the majority of custom guards doubles? How about the ones you make?

Protech makes custom fitted upper mouthguards but will make upper and lower one piece if ou really want one. We provide information to add your lower bite indentations to the underside of the guard to help stabilize the lower jaw arch and provide protection against lateral and retognathic movement of the lower jaw when clenched.

I've been making mouthguards for going on 11 years now. More than any other individual company I think. I've worked with thousands of Dentists and been to many conferences regarding mouthguards all over the nation. Though the link I have provided gives some insight into mouthguards the upper and lower combined mouthguard is still highly debatable in the dental industry. Some advocates claim better protection while others do not. A custom made upper and lower guard can work well if the bite registation is set correctly. If it is not made exactly to the patient or customers exact bite there can be serious consequences and even damage to the Temporal Mandibular Joint ( The area where the lower jawbone meets the temple )

In my 10+ years of making custom fitted upper arch guards only one person that I know of has ever lost a tooth. It was a polo player that was knocked off his horse and the kicked in the mouth by the same horse. Imaging the damage that could have been done without a custom fitted guard. A boil and bite would have provided little to no protection against this type of injury.

Yep , that was a lower tooth that got knocked out. I know I'm not good enough to say I'll never get rocked like that. But when I am I'll gladly drop to a single guard.

I'm pretty sure he was wearing a boil and bite when he got that tooth knocked out. I'll ask him when I see him.

I use the single for Grappling and the double for sparring.

Shadowdean said:
How long do your mouthguards last?
Custom made mouthguards can last up to 3 years depending on usage and care.

What happened to your "Never lost a tooth"? Or wasn't it one of your mouthguards?

Foppa21 said:
What happened to your "Never lost a tooth"? Or wasn't it one of your mouthguards?

WAS NOT OUR MOUTHGUARD. I DID MAKE 2 FOR DIEGO IN THE PAST.

Isn't Diego wear the "NIGHTMARE" one anymore? Or the orange that matched his shorts when he fought Brian Gassaway?

TomCold said:
WAS NOT OUR MOUTHGUARD. I DID MAKE 2 FOR DIEGO IN THE PAST.

Let's be honest though, if you got kicked in the face by a horse you're probably gonna be losing teeth no matter what. Although I would be thoroughly impressed if you had all your pearly whites wrapped up in your mouthguard while the rest of your face has caved in.....

Foppa21 said:
Let's be honest though, if you got kicked in the face by a horse you're probably gonna be losing teeth no matter what. Although I would be thoroughly impressed if you had all your pearly whites wrapped up in your mouthguard while the rest of your face has caved in.....

LOL

He might be now. The ones made for him before were yellow with the New Mexico flag + 505 for the area code.

Interesting..........

This is nasty, I can't come up with a original design. I think I'm gonna happily continue ripped other people off.....

I gag very easy when using my mouth guard. Does anyone know if a double will help for that? It is a big problem for me, really annoying.

What type you using/ I had problems with my old shock doctor, not only breathing but not being able to open my mouth cos the damn thing would fall out.

I haven't had any problems with it at all with my protech. But mind you, it does take a little bit of getting used to in general just wearing a mouthguard. But once you've logged say an hr or so in total of having it in, it'll be sweet.

Foppa21 said:
Interesting..........

This is nasty, I can't come up with a original design. I think I'm gonna happily continue ripped other people off.....

Since you cant think of any designs off hand try and think about your personality. I mean what kind of person are you? Aggressive, Artistic, Gleeful, Angry etc. You can build an idea of a design from that and then go from there. STOP STEALING IDEAS :icon_twis

I just had an order with a strange one for a design but in the end I thought it was cool and fun to make. He wants a white one with blood splattered across the front to look like he's been f***ed up. That has to be one of the most original ones so far. DON"T STEAL IT !!

Back