Single vs. Double mouth guard

With a single mouthpiece, is it easy to bite your own tongue when you get hit? I had a double mouthpiece but it was a bit warped and the corners were a bit frayed, which started to poke into my gums and hurt. I did some light sparring without my mouthpiece and it felt like my jaw was able to move around so easily and freely, sometimes crashing against my teeth or sometimes making me bite my own tongue . . .

I'm in the market for a new mouthpiece, and I want to look into custom mouth guards, but how does it feel when your jaw gets hit and it connects to the upper part? And also, is it possible to bite your tongue?

Thanks.

I've never had my jaw hit the upper part. Just keep your mouth closed and its not an issue. I normally bite on the back half when I do open my mouth.

Custom guards stay on your teeth pretty well. I have to tug on it two or three times before it comes off. I dont know about biting your tongue? Doesn't happen to me and it has never happened ever. Breathing with a custom guard is good. check out customguards.com they have gladiator guards that are cheap and do the job. The customer service is great. I just got a $50 guard from them for rolling.

Never bit my tongue with my custom mouthguard, but I suppose I could if I made an effort.

You people revived a 2006 thread.

I have a Shock Doctor 1.5 single guard bought for

If thats what you can afford then thats not a bad choice. I have a friend who is an international level judo player. He actually perfers a shock doc.

I can afford a custom and thats my choice but for years I used a Wipps boil and bite because I felt that was the best I could afford at the time. Get euipment your comfortable with and can afford. If you want to step up later(sounds like you just got started) do it.

custom is the only way to go - i did an Opro years ago and it is WAY better than any boil and bite.. and not much more expensive.

Due a single as the double is just to much.. You end up collecting spit and it drips out through on your opponents.

I just use a single, just a boil and bite though, cant wait to get a custom fit.

I find the double gets to hard to breath with it after a while

I just thought I should contribute to this thread since I've used it as a resource in my recent purchase of a Shock Doctor Power Double.

I've used a cheap boil 'n bite for a couple of years now, which worked fine for Ju Jutsu (of the German variety) since the only strikes to my head were accidental.

I started training Muay Thai about six months ago. A little while ago, I went to my first inter-school "sparring" event. Got put in against some dude way out of my league. He hit me harder than I've ever been hit (he punched me in the face so hard it made the back of my brain hurt).

I couldn't close my mouth properly for a few days after that. Decided to give the Shock Doctor Power Double a try. The fit is a million times better than my old boil 'n bite. It stays on my upper teeth even when my mouth is open. I'm able to keep clenched consistently throughout a fight, even when winded. I haven't been hit particularly hard since I switched, so I can't actually say how effective it is in saving my jaw.

My first amateur full contact fight is coming up at the end of November. I'll try and remember to come back and post how it held up.

Shock Doctor Power Double did not help you is see. You got amnesia!

Boil and bite guards are cheap easy alternative.With a short life it is what it is.The problem is retention in the mouth while fighting and the bulk being where you don't want it.Serious fighters are better off with top quality gear as it will save you money .

Single layer custom can cost as much as a laminated guard and are very good with retention in the mouth .It suffers the same problem with boil and bites ,being the bulk is also in the wrong area. This bulk results in a hard to breath guard .They will last for years in adult mouth!

A custom laminated mouthguard are top dollar for a reason ,they last for many years. The process of building a laminated mouthguard is 3 to 4 times as much work as a single layer.As each layer is added the material is trimmed out where bulk is not needed ready to add next layer.
So the build protects teeth with even contact between upper and lower teeth .Making retentive, breath easy design that will make the difference when you need that extra action.

There is also other design issues that make the difference that i will be into another thread .A clear example is at the bottom of my web page Action Mouthguards - Home
Any question send me a message
Adrian

Nothing beats a custom mouthguard. Of course, some of us do this as a hobby and we're not ready to dish out $100 for what is ultimately light sparring and doesn't really bear any risk of injury. I've tried out several mouthguards over the years and to be honest, Venum is just fine. Shock Doctor is also a great pick for under 20 bucks.

Here's a complete review of the five most popular (non custom) MMA mouthguards, I figured people might find this useful: http://expertfighter.com/best-mma-mouthguards/

Thanks gibeposi read your link soon you will find that list one company shorter, gladiour mouthguards will be gone. The name and logo are both trademark violations our lawyers are on it thanks for the heads up.

I got a mouthguard custom made by my dentist, however, it only covers my upper arch. My dentist says he is able to make a mouthguard that covers the top and bottom; but he said he would not recommend it because my mouth would be really full.

I know normally people only wear a mouthguard for the upper arch, but I am still paranoid about my bottom teeth getting hit. I would have to keep my mouth closed at all times in order for my bottom teeth to be protected, but wouldn't that disturb my breathing? I don't want to be too focused on clenching my teeth together while fighting. Whereas, if I got a top and bottom mouthguard, I would not have to worry about closing my mouth, correct? Could anyone help advise me on this? thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back