• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Single-Player Card Game With Campaigns

GearSolidMetal

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
So I've been playing Witcher 3 recently, again, and it never stops amazing me how addicting Gwent is. It never stops being fun.

verrygoodmatchingwentw3-0d6a1.jpg

main-qimg-0b564f2b1fb75852ccf64ee9b24f14a1

(I know there's an stand-alone online Gwent game, buts its online)

And I've picked up ThroneBreaker, and planning on starting it shortly. It seems like a game I'd also really enjoy.

OIP.zAopwu_YMcmecRgmAJckEgHaEK

OIP.UtOUPvx2LDIdpi3ahCAx1gHaEK
OIP.R9KXmOR8h6y90b3qOe4juQHaEK

thronebreaker-the-witcher-tales-review-523695-37.jpg

Besides that, I'm completely clueless about the genre and was hoping someone could hook me up with some quality suggestions.

Slay the Spire
I have like 300 hours in this. Incredibly addicting and so far the best singleplayer card game I've played. It's not linear like Thronebreaker but has Roguelike mechanics. It's not one of those games that let's you bang your head against the wall until you finally make it though. Standard difficulty with every character can definitely be beaten in the first couple of runs.

Monster Train
Another Roguelike Deck Builder with nice graphics and some fun mechanics. I played it on GamePass and it was definitely fun for like 10-12 hours, I didn't find it anywhere near as addicting as Slay the Spire though.

Across the Obelisk
Also heavily inspired by Slay the Spire but with plenty of different characters and a lot more options on the map. It's much lighter than Slay the Spire and you'll have plenty of progress after every round.
I've played it for like 20 hours and definitely want more. I think it might only be on Steam though.

Neoverse
Played this on GamePass and it has surprisingly solid mechanics behind the anime boob characters. Definitely worth playing on GamePass or maybe buying for a couple of bucks on sale. Not much long time motivation so far but the creator seems to keep adding free content.

Roguebook

Haven't played this but a friend who is heavily into card games says it's pretty fun. Similar to Slay the Spire.

Marvel Midnight Suns
Haven't played this but friend absolutely loves it and also reviewing well. Crossover between X-com and deck building.

Slay the Spire
I have like 300 hours in this. Incredibly addicting and so far the best singleplayer card game I've played. It's not linear like Thronebreaker but has Roguelike mechanics. It's not one of those games that let's you bang your head against the wall until you finally make it though. Standard difficulty with every character can definitely be beaten in the first couple of runs.

Monster Train
Another Roguelike Deck Builder with nice graphics and some fun mechanics. I played it on GamePass and it was definitely fun for like 10-12 hours, I didn't find it anywhere near as addicting as Slay the Spire though.

Across the Obelisk
Also heavily inspired by Slay the Spire but with plenty of different characters and a lot more options on the map. It's much lighter than Slay the Spire and you'll have plenty of progress after every round.
I've played it for like 20 hours and definitely want more. I think it might only be on Steam though.

Neoverse
Played this on GamePass and it has surprisingly solid mechanics behind the anime boob characters. Definitely worth playing on GamePass or maybe buying for a couple of bucks on sale. Not much long time motivation so far but the creator seems to keep adding free content.

Roguebook

Haven't played this but a friend who is heavily into card games says it's pretty fun. Similar to Slay the Spire.

Marvel Midnight Suns
Haven't played this but friend absolutely loves it and also reviewing well. Crossover between X-com and deck building.

Woah.

Got more suggestions in this post than I expected to receive in the entire thread.

Will be checking out Slay The Spire after Thronebreaker.

As someone who has never really played any card games before, I found Monster Train to be very fun.

Have you played it?

Been sitting on my to-do list forever and I always forget about it.

It's one of the only ones i haven't, but everyone seems to love it so i'm gonna try it at some point.

Slay the spire is fun.

My suggestion(s) would be...

Thea: The Awakening - It's a unique game with different elements but it uses a card system in a unique way. It's a detail game, part tactical/strategy rpg, part turn based strategy with card battle and character development, resource management, crafting and looting. Gwent adjacent+ I'd say... Iirc...

Culdcept Saga: it's a deck building game sort of a cross between monopoly and magic the gathering. It's for older systems and is rare but worth playing for hardcore deck building game fans.

Last edited:
Slay the Spire

Monster Train

Across the Obelisk

Neoverse

Roguebook

Marvel Midnight Suns

Love marvel midnight suns!

Also don't forget this OP!

capsule_616x353.jpg

Culdcept Saga: it's a deck building game sort of a cross between monopoly and magic the gathering. It's for older systems and is rare but worth playing for hardcore deck building game fans.

theres-a-name-ive-not-heard-in-many-years.gif

For those who are interested it's Monopoly meets Magic The Gathering. In a very strange but good way.

Will have to check out Slay the Spire.

The single player Gwent that came with Witcher 3 was a lot of fun but childishly easy. Vaguely recall a few cards being very OP and my strategy was almost the same.

So I've been playing Witcher 3 recently, again, and it never stops amazing me how addicting Gwent is. It never stops being fun.

verrygoodmatchingwentw3-0d6a1.jpg

main-qimg-0b564f2b1fb75852ccf64ee9b24f14a1

(I know there's an stand-alone online Gwent game, buts its online)

And I've picked up ThroneBreaker, and planning on starting it shortly. It seems like a game I'd also really enjoy.

OIP.zAopwu_YMcmecRgmAJckEgHaEK

OIP.UtOUPvx2LDIdpi3ahCAx1gHaEK
OIP.R9KXmOR8h6y90b3qOe4juQHaEK

thronebreaker-the-witcher-tales-review-523695-37.jpg

Besides that, I'm completely clueless about the genre and was hoping someone could hook me up with some quality suggestions.

5030917020131_l.jpg

51Amy0hsBvL._AC_SX425_.jpg

000%20SLES-03900-(En)-Preview.jpg

Some Gems for you OP.

Don't. Save StS for last. It'll ruin you for other deck builders.

StS is almost its own genre at this point. It's trial-and-error-rouge-like-decknuiler with many imitators. I wouldn't even put it in the same realm as a collectable card game like Gwent.

StS is almost its own genre at this point. It's trial-and-error-rouge-like-decknuiler with many imitators. I wouldn't even put it in the same realm as a collectable card game like Gwent.

I've played Monster Train and Ato. Both great games but none hold a torch to StS. Because I played StS first, I can't enjoy the others as much.

Back