Single Leg Takedown on Lead Leg

Have you experimented with different set-ups like collar ties and 2 on 1's? Use head control to get into either of the ties and then use them to make them step with the leg you want the single on. You'll still have to pick it or turn that corner quickly.

Arm drag to misdirection single FTW.

You cannot sweep single with opposite side leads without hitting a knee pull. Why? Because you cannot penetrate with your back leg, the problem you said you were having previously.

A cross side knee pull is somewhat of an upper level technique. Most kids do not know this move. This is the exact reason why you will see most kids try to penetrate with their back leg and look like drunken idiots. They understand there is a problem that they want the lead leg, but have opposite side leads. They do not understand cross side singles, which is why their solution makes them look like broken robots.

so there's my answer. I have to either switch stances (not happening) or master the knee pull. very interesting. thank you.

Yeah, as Holt said, knee pull, although it can be a hard motion to pick up. The only other way would be to move your opponent with collar tie, snaps, fakes, motion, etc. to get the leg you want to shoot on forward. I think this would easier for you. Good luck. Try the knee pull, it won't hurt.

I have a question for Holt. What's the difference between a knee pull single, inside reach single, and high crotch to single (assuming you change off quickly). Would appreciate an answer as this is something I have wondered.

I have a question for Holt. What's the difference between a knee pull single, inside reach single, and high crotch to single (assuming you change off quickly). Would appreciate an answer as this is something I have wondered.

I have never heard it called an "inside reach" single, so its the same thing as a cross side knee pull.

High crotch to single invovles a penetration step where your knee hits, where as a cross side knee pull there is no knee bounce.

I have never heard it called an "inside reach" single, so its the same thing as a cross side knee pull.

High crotch to single invovles a penetration step where your knee hits, where as a cross side knee pull there is no knee bounce.

This is the inside reach single:

Cross side knee pull. It is one of my best takedowns, and was the best takedown of my coach who was an NCAA champ. I will make a video tonight or tomorrow for you. Very easy move.

Would appreciate!

- two orthodox, left foot forward grapplers
- as we discussed, if you shoot on the opponent's back foot via sweep single, you penetration set with the left.
- if you shoot on the opponent's front, left leg, can you push off your front left, shoot at 2:00 o'clock and lead with the right knee?

Back