Single Leg Takedown on Lead Leg

grubburg2

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I'm orthodox (left leg forward) and can only shoot singles on the opponents right. This is frustrating, because the opponent's left leg is closer. I'm gonna start trying to get comfortable shooting on their lead leg, when we're both in orthodox stances. Anyone have any tips/vids that show the proper footwork for this? I'm talking sweep/outside single, not low single or swing around or anything like that.

I don't like going in the front like this and getting sprawled on
grfsstate15.jpg

I prefer to come in the side like this by sweeping around
Single%20leg%20basic%20position1.jpg

thanks in advance.

I'm not sure what you are saying. In grappling, most people stand right leg forward, at least 90%. So if you are left leg forward, you should be toe to toe, so the single is right there.

It really shouldn't matter though. I think MAYBE you are confusing the high crotch shot with the single leg shot. On a single leg, the penetration step is on the outside, and your head is typically on the inside. It shouldn't matter which leg is the lead leg for the other guy, it would be easier if you were standing orthodox and he was southpaw (which is really orthodox in wrestling). In your pics, it looks like the kid shot a high crotch, penetration step is in the middle like a double leg. Josh Thompson shot a proper single, with the penetration step outside the leg you shoot on.

practice getting him to step the leg you want toward you, and then penetration step to the outside, head on the inside. That is what defines a single leg.

EDIT: if you want to shoot on the back leg, which is how most singles are shot, you have to set it up, just like everything. drag his arm, shuck his head, whatever... get him to step forward with the back leg. That's the most basic set up. Better wrestlers get the single just with timing, but the way it is usually taught is by circling the back leg to you.

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but why not just learn to shoot with your right leg forward as well, so you can go for the single on their lead leg even if they are orthodox stance?

I've seen Marcelo Garcia demonstrate a head inside single on his opponent's (lead) left leg, leading with his own left as he shoots. He'd then step around the outside with his right leg after his left knee hit the mat. Don't think I've ever seen a wrestler do it with the head inside, though.

I'm not sure what you are saying. In grappling, most people stand right leg forward, at least 90%. So if you are left leg forward, you should be toe to toe, so the single is right there.

It really shouldn't matter though. I think MAYBE you are confusing the high crotch shot with the single leg shot. On a single leg, the penetration step is on the outside, and your head is typically on the inside. It shouldn't matter which leg is the lead leg for the other guy, it would be easier if you were standing orthodox and he was southpaw (which is really orthodox in wrestling). In your pics, it looks like the kid shot a high crotch, penetration step is in the middle like a double leg. Josh Thompson shot a proper single, with the penetration step outside the leg you shoot on.

practice getting him to step the leg you want toward you, and then penetration step to the outside, head on the inside. That is what defines a single leg.

EDIT: if you want to shoot on the back leg, which is how most singles are shot, you have to set it up, just like everything. drag his arm, shuck his head, whatever... get him to step forward with the back leg. That's the most basic set up. Better wrestlers get the single just with timing, but the way it is usually taught is by circling the back leg to you.

90% right foot forward? not at an mma gym or the grappling tournaments I go to...

"practice getting him to step the leg you want toward you, and then penetration step to the outside, head on the inside. That is what defines a single leg."

yeah the awkward part is taking the penetration step with your back right foot!

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but why not just learn to shoot with your right leg forward as well, so you can go for the single on their lead leg even if they are orthodox stance?

cause I'd have to learn how to do everything all over again on the reverse side :-D

I've seen Marcelo Garcia demonstrate a head inside single on his opponent's (lead) left leg, leading with his own left as he shoots. He'd then step around the outside with his right leg after his left knee hit the mat. Don't think I've ever seen a wrestler do it with the head inside, though.

I'm a submission grappler. do you have a link to that vid? that's exactly what I'm talking about.

90% right foot forward? not at an mma gym or the grappling tournaments I go to...

"practice getting him to step the leg you want toward you, and then penetration step to the outside, head on the inside. That is what defines a single leg."

yeah the awkward part is taking the penetration step with your back right foot!

no, not an MMA gym, that's true. Wrestlers (I am one) usually stand right foot front. In sub grappling, I have seen pretty much the same rate- mostly right foot forward. In MMA, of course, the left is usually forward.

What I am saying is that you don't need to take the penetration step with your back foot. If your left leg is forward, you would take your step with the left foot, bring his leg to you by circling or other wise setting it up (shuck, drag, etc).

What you are really asking (I think) is how to set up a single leg. It doesn't matter which leg is your dominant leg or what stance he is in. You are going to step in with your lead leg typically, so if you are both left front, you are going to shoot on his right leg, that is the normal order or events. You have to set it up by getting him to step forward.

Cross side knee pull. It is one of my best takedowns, and was the best takedown of my coach who was an NCAA champ. I will make a video tonight or tomorrow for you. Very easy move.

Cross side knee pull. It is one of my best takedowns, and was the best takedown of my coach who was an NCAA champ. I will make a video tonight or tomorrow for you. Very easy move.

you cup behind the knee from between the feet, then throw a punch through the back?

looking forward to the vid!

I guess the sweep/outside won't work without taking the penetration step with your back foot (way too slow/awkward), which is why I've had trouble.

Inside reach single in a match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwaBGW6UG5shttp://

I'm trying to find an instructional video but it isn't too complicated. You can shoot it to either leg with the same lead leg. If you are shooting to his left leg from a left leg stance you want to penetrate and make contact with your left hand with your head on the outside then switch your position so your right arm comes across the backside of his leg, your right knee goes down and your head switches to the inside.

yeah I don't like that single too much. I like the sweep/outside.

Inside reach single in a match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwaBGW6UG5shttp://

I'm trying to find an instructional video but it isn't too complicated. You can shoot it to either leg with the same lead leg. If you are shooting to his left leg from a left leg stance you want to penetrate and make contact with your left hand with your head on the outside then switch your position so your right arm comes across the backside of his leg, your right knee goes down and your head switches to the inside.

In the video, it seems they shoot head-on rather than head to the outside. They're doing more or less what Marcelo does on his DVD, though I think he was reaching with his outside hand instead. Same penetration step & head position, anyway.

Not trying to be a dick, but just practice shooting with either leg forward. Use tie ups and circling to get your opponent to step the leg forward that you want to shoot on.

yeah I don't like that single too much. I like the sweep/outside.

You cannot sweep single with opposite side leads without hitting a knee pull. Why? Because you cannot penetrate with your back leg, the problem you said you were having previously.

A cross side knee pull is somewhat of an upper level technique. Most kids do not know this move. This is the exact reason why you will see most kids try to penetrate with their back leg and look like drunken idiots. They understand there is a problem that they want the lead leg, but have opposite side leads. They do not understand cross side singles, which is why their solution makes them look like broken robots.

Have you experimented with different set-ups like collar ties and 2 on 1's? Use head control to get into either of the ties and then use them to make them step with the leg you want the single on. You'll still have to pick it or turn that corner quickly.

Back