Simple question about when to stop Sets / failure

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by millasur, Apr 17, 2008.

1. millasur

millasur Blue Belt

Hi,

Hopefuly a quick question lol - Haven't done much HEAVY work recently, so a quick question - was benching near my max yesterday, and did:

1*5, added weight 1*4 (warmups really), added weight, 1*3, added weight, then 3*2. on my last set of doin 2 reps, i only JUST got the bar bk up (so i was basically finished.) is this where I shud end that exercise all together? Or is it ok after a rest to do another set of 1 or 2 reps? I think mentally because they're such short sets I always want to do another one....

Thanks...

2. Donut62

Donut62 Black Belt

It depends on what set/rep scheme you have for that day. If you intend to do, say, 5 sets of 2 reps, then you would have been wise to back off the weight a bit and get all those reps completed. If you just wanted to get three sets of heavy doubles in, you did it just right.

Unless you are going for a personal record, you shouldn't miss lifts. Shit happens, you have a bad day, yeah you might. But most experienced guys know themselves and won't attempt weight if they don't know they can get it.

3. millasur

millasur Blue Belt

Thanks for the reply:

To b honest, I'm not strictly following something at the moment - had a broken foot so I haven't been properly trying to gain or improve etc - mainly stuff like 4*6, 3*8, 3*10 etc etc etc, my own choices or however I felt just to jus keep up with it really, using 60 sec rest periods. I always work hard and don't slack off etc.

Thought I will do a 'heavy' day where I push myself real hard, so really just went up to a weight near my max and did a few sets to work myself, with longer rests. Hence the question - I stopped because if I'd done another set I may have only been able to do one good rep for example, but there was no written goal before that aside from 'lets do some heavy lifting'.

Saying that, perhaps I need to refine my training more, I often just do what I feel / based on the time I have (I do weights at home, with a BB, DBs and a bench). As long as I'm deadlifting / benching / rowing / OHP once or twice a week I've never really been particularly botherd (rightly or wrongly lol) about what I do, I generally switch up between lighter 'bodybuilding' type days and heavy cns taxing lifts, and hit the weights 3/4 times a week.

4. Donut62

Donut62 Black Belt

I agree with your assesment. To maximize your training, you need to have goals to work for. Even if you just want to have a "heavy pressing" day (basically an ME workout), you should walk into the weight room saying "I'm going to work up to heaviest set of 3 reps I can handle", or something similar. You should also have an idea in your head of what number you want to hit. A degree of instinctiveness is important, but you need some sort of goal to progress towards or else you'll wind up going nowhere in the long run.

Like I said earlier, what you are doing is basically a "Maximal Effort" workout, and you can read this article to get a better idea on some ways to manage them:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/max_effort_waves.htm