Similarities between Thai's and African American fighters?

Discussion in 'Muay Thai and Kickboxing' started by Julius_Caesar, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Snubnoze707 High Level

Why would you need thousands of coaches to do this in order for it to become a real phenomenon? All you needed was a handful of top Euro players to do it and now everyone does it.

2. SuperLuigi Red Belt

Damn Tinypic, it used to be the gold standard. I just checked my computer and I don't have it, I might still have it on my old computer in storage. I did find some good shoops though including the avatar I shooped for CK.

3. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Throwing my apanyent

LOL what a coincidence. There are Sitjaopho Gym vids from some youtuber called "TJ" that constantly put up in my recommendations so I had a look at a couple and the narrator is always screaming stuff in Thai, so naturally I assumed that it was some Thai dude filming. Turns out it's some American dude of darker complexion.

There are a couple of vids of him sparring and clinching and the dude is screaming ooooooooiiiiiiiiiii at the top of his lungs at every step and even saying words in Thai, lol. It's really weird.

4. DaBaddBoy Banned Banned

Ladies can’t resist the melanin

5. CuriousPugilist White Belt

My two cents.
    First, what you mention in terms of similarities in style of fighting in a population (darker Thais and African Americans / Cubans respectively) are better explained by classifying the styles as regional rather than having to do with genetics. If a region is predominantly inhabited by people of the same ethnic background however, it might SEEM to be that their style is linked to race. However, looking at a 'similar' population in different regions suggest that attributing styles to regions instead of race or ethnicity seems a much clearer explanation of why certain groups tend to exhibit certain styles.

For example, African Americans and Afro-Cubans are mentioned as slick, but Ghanaian boxers (Ghana arguably has the most well-established boxing scene in West Africa) tend to not be slick.

In Myanmar ,Lethwei fighters (even those from the border region with northern Thailand who are likely to be similar to darker skinned Thais genetically) are typically not deemed slick.

6. Snubnoze707 High Level

@Julius_Caesar better go make some edits while he still can. You never know how deep "cancel culture" will innevitably go.

7. In 2020 its one of the things i am least worried about

8. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Throwing my apanyent

At this point I think it is fair to say that we are ALL getting cancelled one way or another. No virtue signalling is going to save us.