Similarities between Thai's and African American fighters?

Discussion in 'Muay Thai and Kickboxing' started by Julius_Caesar, Oct 9, 2016.

1. KyleNakMuay White Belt

Ah the golden days of JayMuayThai melanin theories.. this is still one of the most retarded threads on sherdog.

2. Kanka Black Belt

Imagine if Tawanchai was more tanned???

3. KyleNakMuay White Belt

He clearly doesn't move like an east asian tho, must be that tropical climate giving him that melanin induced slickness, else we all know he wouldn't even turn his hips properly when he kicks.

4. Wasn't so much Melanin theories. It was more about the similar rhythm I see between thai's in kickfighting and afro americans in boxing whether they are lighter or darker skinned. That type of slickness, rhythm, fluidity and reflexes which is not alien to any other ethnicity. I just see it a lot more with those type of fighters. From guys like Pernell Whitaker, Ali, Floyd, Roy Jones, Ray Leonard to guys like Saenchai, Samrak, Samart, Lerdsila, Karuhat (non of which are darker skinned thai's). Plenty of Melanin in Africa yet many boxers out of Subsahara Africa tend to be a lot more stiff than Afro Americans/Cubans. Plenty of Melanin in India and Indians in general dont have much success in sports outside of cricket. Sometimes its due to a lack of interest tho.

Kanka just decided to go thru old posts to bring this thread back to life because he gets really sensitive when you bring up ethnicity in sports. I wasn't going to reply. I kinda figured he was trying to lure me in but I dont really care. I'm gonna back what I said.

5. Kanka Black Belt

Nah, i just thought of this thread when i read Jtwarwagons thread. It's just a good laugh.

6. Saku'sEar Yellow Card Yellow Card

AbleIndelibleBasilisk-small.gif
    Lol what?!

7. OCGSC Blue Belt

I dont know about the thais but for "African American" that term makes me laugh its a toss up they do not have 100% genetic match to west africa they are mixed which means they have alot of different outcomes when it comes to body types and styles

8. Yes there are those like Spence and Tyson that are a little different but for a lot of the time there does seem to be a common style. I hear it all the time with the commentary. "He has that typical african american style"...."he has that typical eastern european style".

Even some of the complaints are similar to the complaints of Thai's in kb. Too defensive, too much clinching, running away (which is the haters term for doesn't get hit) etc.

9. Snubnoze707 High Level

10. shincheckin Black Belt

are genetics a factor? Yes of course they are. Genetics is what makes one person 5ft tall and the next guy 6ft tall. One guy obese, the other super thin. One healthy as a horse, one with diabetes. Yeah dude genetics are a part of it.

11. KyleNakMuay White Belt

[​IMG]

12. shincheckin Black Belt

the answer to his question is quite obvious indeed. Do genetics play a factor. Yes they do. ;)

13. ImmigrantMentality Brown Belt

Interestingly enough, the few African Americans I've seen competing in muay thai aren't slick at all and the few Thais I've seen in boxing are pressure fighters like mexican or Japanese fighters

14. Kanka Black Belt

Yes but that is because americans (of any ethnicity) aren't very good at muay thai.

15. Snubnoze707 High Level

But it's about genetics not nationality!

16. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Throwing my apanyent

Ha ha yeah this debunks pretty much any the theories in this shitty thread.
    Athletic & Explosive MT fighters move NOTHING like Thai fighters.

Yes, Thai fighters have unique rythm and movement, but is comes from a particular type of training twice a day 6 times a week since they are 12 or whatever.

17. Kanka Black Belt

Oh no, this has dissapeared. Does anyone have this image saved?

18. Judoka_Jones White Belt

I think a lot of this thread overlooks the effect that coaching has on a sport. Years ago, the stereotype of basketball in the U.S. was that "certain" kids couldn't dunk or play in a more athletic style.

Then the European players started to invade the NBA and lo and behold, Manu Ginobli was dunking in traffic and in games. Why? Part of the reason was those kids came up in a system that didn't say 'You look a certain way so you should shoot 3's pretty much exclusively.'

Coaches grab kids early, and tailor their athletic expression based on how they see the kid's potential. Sports in the U.S. is rife with this.

MMA has been a revelation because no one group dominates and that's because the sport is new enough that no one grabs a kid and says 'Oh my God, you're the next Jon Jones!' Instead, everyone trains in a multitude of arts and you have probably the MOST diverse sport in terms of participant backgrounds in the U.S.

19. Snubnoze707 High Level

Low and behold, they also brought in flopping like what is done in soccer and Basketball has never been the same...

20. Judoka_Jones White Belt

Yeah because thousands of AAU coaches all said 'Man, we got to fall down and shake our hands like the Italians do...if we want to win games!'