Silva's performance against Bisping is overrated.

serr

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
He got knocked down in rounds 1 and 2. In 3 he was losing the whole round until Bisping lost his mouthpiece. Bisping had his eyes off Silva a lot, looking to the ref to give his mouthpiece back so he wouldn't get his teeth knocked out. This is the only time in the first 3 rounds Silva had the upper hand.

Silva landed the knee when Bisping had his eyes off him. Bisping came into round 4 visibly wobbled and concussed. The difference between round 1,2,3 Bisping vs round 4 Bisping was tremendous. Visibly concussed due to a knee that came about through a moment of confusion. Bisping STILL won this round. Even though he was concussed, Silva still couldn't do anything significant against him.

He won round 5 but how impressive is that against a guy that you only managed to impair because he was confused and had his eyes on the ref.

I'm a Silva fan, but his performance against Bisping shows how washed up he is. If that fight happened again, it would go even worse for him. He is still good as we've seen him dodge what he dodged, but he can't counter, and he can't end. Subtract that confusing event, and it's Bisping 1,2,3,4. And then even 5 Silva only one arguably because he was pressuring a concussed fighter.

I don't care who you are, but Bisping was the better fighter that night. He won round 4 after being concussed and completely nullified Silva in 1,2, and 3. If it weren't for his stupidity, in taking his eyes of Silva, and Silva choosing to do the dick thing and attack Bisping while he was looking at the ref he could have 50-45ed Silva. But in all honesty, who can blame someone wanting their mouthguard in? You wouldn't be begging the ref to have something that prevents your teeth from getting knocked out?

tl;dr Silva is not good anymore. Worse than Bisping. Lost rounds 1,2,3. Dick move to hit a guy who wants to protect his teeth. Still lost round 4, despite Bisping being concussed. Won round 5, but was it really impressive getting a few good hits on a concussed man who was only concussed because you were a dick and kneed him when he was looking to the ref for his mouthguard?

Silva didn't do anything wrong in the fight other than clown around and fail to finish Bisping when he had the chance.

when did he get knocked down in round 1?

anderson is 41 and has been fighting mma for 19 years.

it was a bad performance but enough to beat bisping in my opinion

Too much clowning around and periods of inactivity cost him.

He had moments where he could have ended the fight, but just couldn't seem to pull the trigger.

I agree that Silva did nothing wrong in that fight.
He seemed afraid to throw kicks (who can blame him), and he didn't go for it enough in my opinion, but I think he has a few more fights in him.
I think he is going to be a lot more dangerous next outing.
My hat is off to Bisping. He certainly outworked Anderson. I loved the shove.
Anderson won 3 and 5 and did more damage.

Dude do you really think he lost round 3?

He still has some left in the tank, but he will never be champion again. If he and fans can accept that, he should keep on fighting.

Silva hit bisping with the spirit bomb and almost ended it.

I see no legitimate argument for Bisping winning round 3 unless you subscribe to the FightMetric pillow punch litmus test camp of scoring fights.

I found Silva's performance almost unbearable to watch. The way he failed to pull the trigger for minutes on end was simply ridiculous. The few occasions he did it was clear to see his skill set is level above Bisping's plodding one dimensional approach. After the debacle in the first Weidman fight I thought he'd learn his lesson. But the way he let a massively rocked Bisping recover in round four by refusing to engage was simply distressing. It was almost like throwing the fight. I think Silva doesn't need PEDs but rather more some kind of psychiatric help. I dont think I've ever seen a fighter give away a fight like that. He should retire. He's already dismantled much of his legacy with his last four fights which is a tragedy.

Silva is shot for sure, & anyone saying that performance was awesome is retarded, but I still had him winning. It was close tho. I wish he would either retire or fight a total can & then retire. Its sad watching a man who conquered the division years ago have close fights with a gatekeeper.

Silva is coming back from some serious setbacks and I think he is still trying to get comfortable. I think the next fight we see him in, he will be back much closer to prime form.
Seriously, this guy got KTFO in ridiculous embarassing fashion against The Chris (2012) after murdering people since entering the UFC in 2006...a 6 year run undefeated.
He did not want a rematch, he was glad to be knocked off the perch, just wanted to fight for the sport and not have so much stress of being the best, UFC pushed him and The Chris II was a brutal injury.
Add the rehab, potential to never fight again possibly, more stress, busted for PED's against Nick Diaz who he beat pretty easily IMHO, and we have a bit of a gun shy Silva vs Bisping.
Give him one, maybe 2 more fights and he will be kicking heads clean off again. I'm actually really impressed with BP's chin from this fight, he took a shit kicking in the later half.

against Nick Diaz who he beat pretty easily IMHO.
I don't think he beat him that decisively at all. Yes he won all 5 rounds. But had zero hard hits. He outlanded Diaz because Diaz didn't want to go into Silva's counterstriking game and Diaz is known for blocking with his chin. Tried to go for some hard stuff, but nothing landed. It was as uneventful as it gets. Pillow punching on both sides. It's been like this since Weidman II. He just seems scared to fight. Which is weird. He was alright to go against the cage and clown around with Bisping, but was not OK to open himself up by going for some hard strikes.

no one is really praising silva so much as making excuses why he didnt ko bisping in round 1 like they think he should have.

After round 3 it was silvas fight to win with a TKO. He failed to jump on that opportunity. I was shocked at how slow round 4 started. Maybe the adrenaline dump affected Silva? Bisping was winning r1 , r2 and 3 would have gone to him without that knee. Silva just wasn't active enough. If he increased his output 10% he probably would have won. He waited too long for the counter, IMO.

I found Silva's performance almost unbearable to watch. The way he failed to pull the trigger for minutes on end was simply ridiculous. The few occasions he did it was clear to see his skill set is level above Bisping's plodding one dimensional approach. After the debacle in the first Weidman fight I thought he'd learn his lesson. But the way he let a massively rocked Bisping recover in round four by refusing to engage was simply distressing. It was almost like throwing the fight. I think Silva doesn't need PEDs but rather more some kind of psychiatric help. I dont think I've ever seen a fighter give away a fight like that. He should retire. He's already dismantled much of his legacy with his last four fights which is a tragedy.
I kind of agree, but you can't say he dismantled his legacy because of his last fights. This is haters speech (not saying you are one).

If Silva had pounced on him after the knee and maybe even after the front kick it probably would have been all she wrote.

Dude needs a sports psychologist fo sho.

Reminds me of Pele who always liked to admire his work after a solid strike instead of going in for the kill.

He definitley should have followed up on the front kick,it was the 5th fuckin round...he coulda ended it there. he just stood there admiring his handywork

Back