Silva vs Weidman... still can't believe it

silva-weidman.gif

Weidman looked like a monster taking out Silva who was in the midst of the most dominant stretch of wins in perhaps MMA history. Silva hung around in the UFC for a few more years on the tail end of his career but Weidman who looked like a straight killer got completely destroyed... his body basically broken. How the fuck did this all unfold like that? Looking back on it is crazy to me. Did this really go down like this? the fuck? It's been 8 years and I still cannot believe this shit happened. Both of these fighters basically just disappeared from the top of MMA.

MMA is a cruel fucking sport. Did these guys sell their souls or what? The MMA grim reaper came for both their souls and careers that night.

Chris was a monster back then... but damn he fell apart

People ignoring half the point of this thread. It’s not just the surprise that Silva lost by KO…. It’s that Weidman got completely folded shortly thereafter. Who the fuck could have predicted a Silva KO loss and Weidman’s career ending up like that? No one.
Not really. Chris held the title for what like 3 years after that? He defended the belt 3 times I think. Defended against Silva, Machida and Vitor. He had a pretty good run as champ

Silva was super old and past his prime when they fought. He was like 38, which is Wizards' Jordan territory. Weidman was the perfect stylistic match-up to beat Anderson at that time. Longer, more reach, good wrestling, good striking defense, good submission defense, etc. He had it all. I bet on Weidman both times to beat The Spider and cashed out big (similar to me betting no Holm too beat Honda, Pena to beat Mandy, etc).

By the time he fought Silva, Weidman'd already had tons of surgeries, including his knees. So in hindsight it was actually probably predictable. Dude had tons of wear and tear, even when he was still pretty young.

https://www.mmamania.com/2012/9/8/3...im-boetsch-chris-weidman-undergoes-successful

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/ufc/chris-weidmans-double-knee-surgery-deemed-successful

He says here that he had 10 knee surgeries in his life....

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/chris...-horrific-compound-fracture/story?id=77504336

Even if it's a hyperbole, it's still a lot.

Weidman's body is completely shot.

Too many guys around here say his drop off was "proof he was roiding" or he got lucky against Silva.

On his day a healthy Weidman was an absolute monster.

He said he's had 25 surgeries now; knees, back, leg, neck. That'll age you fast in fighting years.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/mma/chris-weidman-could-quit-fighting-24789865

He didn’t give him anything, he got his ass beat twice lol
Anderson literally gave Weidman the belt to hold at the press conference you goof
many sherdoggers were commenting on it at the time
wHoxtYk.png

I was at vacation in Bulgaria and watched the fight at a Internet cafe.. I was in shock I could not believe what I’ve just witnessed.. Prime Silva just kicked of his throne with a left hook from a young fighter with less than 10 fights at the time

I was at vacation in Bulgaria and watched the fight at a Internet cafe.. I was in shock I could not believe what I’ve just witnessed.. Prime Silva just kicked of his throne with a left hook from a young fighter with less than 10 fights at the time

He was 38, not in his prime.

Age hadn’t caught up to Silva at the time, the dude was a killer against Bonnar, Belfort and Okami before getting knocked by Weidman

Sonnen rocked him multiple times in their fight, he was clearly slowing down. No fighter is in their prime at 38, regardless of if they are still winning fights.

Silva was past his prime, and years past his peak.

But beating Anderson at 37 is like beating a HoF at age 29, it’s such a huge win that most people don’t even think twice about it.

Weidman was a great fighter and he just had the right skill set at the right time .

Sonnen rocked him multiple times in their fight, he was clearly slowing down. No fighter is in their prime at 38, regardless of if they are still winning fights.

Sonnen dropped him in their first fight as well. That doesnt prove anything.

weidman should have pulled a khabib and retired after the vitor fight and then he could claim goat status

i thought it was a pretty overrated performance from the chris. Sure he was winning but anderson was dropping his hands and dodging the chris punches with the old head movement insult clowning. After wiffing 1000 punches and u finally land 1 it doesnt make you look good. it makes you look like trash.
This is how i would sum up CHris's performance that night
T25JI0h.gif

Did you watch the fight? he was clowning the whole time and not fighting seriously. You must be totally clueless to classify that as a serious victory. Silva basically gave it to him.

Did YOU watch the fight? Silva was getting frustrated because Weidman wouldnt fall into his trap so he increased the showboating to bait him. That has always been Silva's gameplan.

Back