Silly workout programs

TheGauntlet7**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Shit like this isn't good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=whCgcgF9n9M#!

I see a lot of workout programs these days similar to this, all promoting a caveman approach to fitness that causes overtraining and possibly injury. By the way, you think the owner would have come up with a better example of machismo than a guy who's 5'5. Even the girls I went out with have been taller than that :rolleyes:

So, asides from the speech being irritating, not a terrible video. Some goofy stuff, but a lot of it was just training spliced into montage form. I didn't see any "caveman" circuits or anything dangerous or indicative of overtraining.

What exactly was "caveman" in this video?

So, asides from the speech being irritating, not a terrible video. Some goofy stuff, but a lot of it was just training spliced into montage form. I didn't see any "caveman" circuits or anything dangerous or indicative of overtraining.

What exactly was "caveman" in this video?

This is to everyone who thinks this kind of workout is the best: I'm an engineer by trade, so I'm not an expert on the human body, but this comes from a sports doctor. Working out to the point of collapsing and pain is not beneficial. Feeling a burn is good. Feeling pain is not. Enduring pain throughout your sets can lead to injury, which will leave you out of the gym, preventing you from continuing to work out.

I understand the possible benefit of working through pain as I wrestled at a high level when I was younger. It builds toughness, and that's something that can't really be measured. However, this video was talking about going to the gym and getting in shape, where this is not the right attitude.

I believe you'll find the pain that people talk about as being more in the sense of "Oh Jesus this is hard I feel like my lungs/legs/heart/whatever is about to explode" as opposed to the pain of "Oh shit I think I just tore something".

First one is acceptable, second one not. You shouldn't push to the point of injury- but if you're serious about getting in shape, or getting strong, then training is not something that's going to be comfortable a lot of the time.

If you're doing squats, deadlifts, cleans, snatches, presses, etc. and you are NOT tired at the end of your workout, you aren't pushing yourself hard enough. Heavy compound movements are supposed to take a lot out of you. Yes, it is possible to train heavy/push yourself close to your limits without injury. Learn how to do the movements properly and constantly work on your form.

Also, I don't see how his height is relevant here. Would you laugh at someone like Frankie Edgar for giving advice on MMA (not saying this guy is the equivalent of Edgar)?

If you're doing squats, deadlifts, cleans, snatches, presses, etc. and you are NOT tired at the end of your workout, you aren't pushing yourself hard enough. Heavy compound movements are supposed to take a lot out of you. Yes, it is possible to train heavy/push yourself close to your limits without injury. Learn how to do the movements properly and constantly work on your form.

Also, I don't see how his height is relevant here. Would you laugh at someone like Frankie Edgar for giving advice on MMA (not saying this guy is the equivalent of Edgar)?

Careful. You'll bring the entire P&M over here, and nobody wants that. ;)

Careful. You'll bring the entire P&M over here, and nobody wants that. ;)

It may come as a surprise to you, but I actually used to post somewhat frequently in Strength/Power back in 2007-8. I don't post much in this forum anymore because frankly, there are more qualified people to give advice; however, I do plan to stop by more often in 2013. I hope you will welcome me with open arms. :)

The workout seemed fine: pullups, sprints, and compound lifts. These are all good things. I agree that I think they were talking about this is hard pain like your lungs or legs are burning not I tore my knee pain.

This is to everyone who thinks this kind of workout is the best: I'm an engineer by trade, so I'm not an expert on the human body, but this comes from a sports doctor. Working out to the point of collapsing and pain is not beneficial. Feeling a burn is good. Feeling pain is not. Enduring pain throughout your sets can lead to injury, which will leave you out of the gym, preventing you from continuing to work out.

I understand the possible benefit of working through pain as I wrestled at a high level when I was younger. It builds toughness, and that's something that can't really be measured. However, this video was talking about going to the gym and getting in shape, where this is not the right attitude.

You're kinda right but you're incredibly wrong

CUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ prepare me for my time of battle.

Back