Signs of Improvement

HevyDevyGK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
After lifting weights for how long, should you start to look more "built"

I have been lifting weights about 3 times a week for about half an hour for the last 6 months, and I am still basically the same, except i can lift a lot heavier weights than I could before.

the reason I ask, is because I do this in my house and never went to a gym, so there's not really been anyone to ask for advice on how to train.

a bit of a silly newbie question, but i thought i'd ask.

What's your diet like? How much sleep do you get on your average night? What does your weights routine look like?

My diet i imagine is not to good but I don't eat rubbish like chocolate, sweets etc or drink Coke or beer. But other than that I doubt I am eating the right stuff.

Only get about 7 hours sleep during the week.

Of everything I do, I do 3 sets of 8.

Normal bench press 50kg
Upright Rows 40kg
Millatary Press 30 kg
Standard dumbell curls 40 kg
and dumbell tricep extrension things. 30 kg

I have no idea if after starting 6 months ago this is enough to do or not. or if I really should be lifting a lot more weight.

I think I might have been better going to a gym first.

get rid of that routine

get yourself on a deadlift/press/squat routine

something like this...
mondays deadlifts + assistant lifts
wednesday bench press + assistant lifts
friday squat + assistant lifts

eat like a horse

READ THE STICKIES!!!

read urbans site....alot of useful info

As far as your diet is concerned you want to be eating roughly every 2-3 hours, with each of these meals containing some sort of source of protein. If you want to grow you've got to eat like you mean it, but try and stick to clean food to the greatest extent possible (i.e. leave out crap like chocolate, soft drinks etc although it sounds like you already do).

As for your routine, are you in a wheelchair? If not, then where is your leg and back work? If your legs and back function then you should train them just like you would any other body part, if anything they're more important to athletic performance. Read the stickies and sort yourself out a new routine.

As for your numbers, it depends on your bodyweight as to how good they are but chances are unless you're 4ft tall they aren't that great. Don't worry about it, everyone has to start somewhere and to be honest my numbers aren't a whole lot better considering my height and weight. But don't worry about comparing yourself to other people, just focus on helping yourself for now and sorting out a new routine.

By the way, what equipment do you have at home?

BTW if you simply don't want to live the lifestyle of having to eat every 2-3 hours, you should still see some definition. I was a skinny ass kid, only 20 lbs. heavier 2 years ago, I can somewhat flare out my lats, and I don't really eat that much....my pecs kinda sticks out to. I only weight 130 lbs.

There should be a rule about starting a thread without reading the stickies. Obviosly, judging by your routine and diet, you haven't. The fact that you are asking about how to spot signs of improvement after saying that you can lift heavier weights now than you could before indicates that you are more interested in lifting for reasons other than strength and power, which means that you are in the wrong fucking place. I suppose to an extent everyone who lifts is somewhat interested looking like someone who lifts weights, but if putting up bigger numbers than you were six months ago isn't a big enough sign of improvement for you, I would suggest going to another website.

HevyDevyGK said:
My diet i imagine is not to good but I don't eat rubbish like chocolate, sweets etc or drink Coke or beer. But other than that I doubt I am eating the right stuff.

Only get about 7 hours sleep during the week.

Of everything I do, I do 3 sets of 8.

Normal bench press 50kg
Upright Rows 40kg
Millatary Press 30 kg
Standard dumbell curls 40 kg
and dumbell tricep extrension things. 30 kg

I have no idea if after starting 6 months ago this is enough to do or not. or if I really should be lifting a lot more weight.

I think I might have been better going to a gym first.

Anyone notice a problem with these numbers? 50 kg bench and a 40 kg curl? I call B.S. Either you're benching too little or imagining that you curl that much.

Infernal Ire said:
Anyone notice a problem with these numbers? 50 kg bench and a 40 kg curl? I call B.S. Either you're benching too little or imagining that you curl that much.
I don't think it's BS, a lot of people self limit their bench by a fair amount if they don't have a spotter. It certainly beats the alternative, overestimating your bench and crushing your windpipe. Again assuming if there is no spotter.

Thanks to all the decent folk with helpful replies, it's much appreciated.

Don't know what your problem is Morgan, didn't intend to upset you with my disgraceful post.

Funkster I just have your average cheapy bench and barbell and a set of dumbells. and i'm about 150 lbs.

I wasn't so much complaining at how little I can lift it was more along the lines of what sort of routine I should be doing, as mentioned, you have to start somewhere.

'cause I know very little about lifting I have no idea why you think I'm lying here,

noway does someone train with 50kg for the bench, but curl 40 kg?

@ 150 lbs?...you musta be a strong mofo in the bicep...or the guy people make "what not to do" training videos about, cause your form must blow

i think this number musta been a little exagerated

If he was so honest about his other lifts, what would he gain from exaggerating his curl #s?

A lot of people who are new to lifting work curls harder than anything else, hell go to any commercial gym and there will be 30 year olds who still work curls harder than anything else.

well im not sure what gyms your attending

but ive never seen guys in my gym curling 40 kgs, while they only bench 50kgs

not to mention hes only 150 lb and new to lifting

i think its a stretch

like i said...im tryin to help...but that just dosent make sense, to be curling as much as you bench

ps...i stand corrected...i ahve seen guys like this

but like i already mentioned....the form of these guys is just horrid

curling 40 kgs isnt too easy

I'm being honest, as said I've nothing to gain by lying, I do 3x8 at 40kg, although as you mentioned my form isn't as smooth as I'd like on the last 2 reps.

I'm trying to work out what a good routine would be.

Monday: Arms
Wednesday: Chest/Back
Friday: Legs

That's about right correct? but I'm not sure which exercises to do for each one. http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html this site seems really good, but i'm not too sure which lifts are the best to do.

Use a pull, press, squat routine. You may even consider starting with some body weight exercises and work into weights. Your bench and curl should not be that close. If they are so close why would you want an arm day? Curl is not important, core lifts are what you should focus on.

HevyDevyGK said:
Don't know what your problem is Morgan, didn't intend to upset you with my disgraceful post.

I'm not particularly upset, but this subforum is intended for those lifting for increased performance, and in your post you came accross as someone who's chief goal was to improve their physique. While I don't have as big a problem with that goal as some of the people who post here, if you are lifting to improve your appearance, there are a number of places you'd be better off posting. This isn't a bodybuilding forum, and if you were looking for one, you are in the wrong place. Either way, I really don't care. From the sounds of things, you are going to need a lot of help. You might as well get the sort of help that meets your goals. If your goal is to stronger and faster, you're in the right place. If your goal is to look better without a shirt on, you might want to keep looking. The two goals aren't mutually exclusive, but if you want to gain muscle and definition, you would be better suited to posting somewhere else.

Use a pull, press, squat routine. You may even consider starting with some body weight exercises and work into weights. Your bench and curl should not be that close. If they are so close why would you want an arm day? Curl is not important, core lifts are what you should focus on.

Thanks, but that means very little to me. ?

Morgan I understand what you mean, i do only intend lifting in order to be stronger and have a slightly better physiqe

HevyDevyGK said:
/QUOTE]

Dont like it or dont understand it? As already mentioned there are "stickys" that you are suposed to read before posting here. Since it will answer many questions that you propably have.

HevyDevyGK said:

Morgan I understand what you mean, i do only intend lifting in order to be stronger and have a slightly better physiqe
You realize he's trying to help you do that?

Back