Significant difference in gi/nogi game?

DeOpresoLibre

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I play both BJJ and no-gi: gi about three times a week and no-gi about two with judo throw in maybe once a week. However I see a significant difference between my Gi and NoGi game with my Gi game being tremendously better then my nogi. I feel as if the amount of time i put in isn't so different that there should be such a gap in my games. At the same time i do roll very slow and controlled but I don't think that qualifies as a big enough deal for the amount of difference I see in my game. Anyone have similar experiences?

Cliff: My gi game > no gi game. Similar stories?

I use pretty much the same techniques in each and I consider myself about equal in each. Although nowadays I train a little more in gi than no gi due to scheduling, and I tend to use more leg takedowns in no gi rather than gi where the grips mess me up.

It's not just about the time you put in. Maybe your head or heart is a bit more in the gi training?

I agree strongly. My gi game favors lapel chokes and using grips to control my opponents position and without the gi I'm not nearly as good. I would say that I'm good enough in both to where I'm tough to submit in nogi but my offensive game isn't nearly the same.

I think the pace in no gi is a lot quicker. I find myself having to slow my pace with a gi as to not get caught with stupid submission. With No Gi I work fast because sweat is a factor. Gi is like lifting weights and No Gi is like sprinting for me.

I also see a distinct advantages to wrestles in no gi which are more abundant in my parts then good judo players who would favor the gi. (Interesting side note here we have 2 olympic level judo coaches here and they somehow end up with like 5 students a class)

I can certainly negate more of someones physical advantages in the gi, it is much easier to hold them down, and I can play much looser from the bottom with easier to maintain grips. In no gi I get my guard passed more often when playing from the bottom, and therefore have to turtle or scramble more than I do in the gi.

The gripping and control is different. Some people find one more natural, some people the other. Its probably a good idea to do both, whether you're planning on competing in gi, no-gi, or both. They complement each other, your technique in both will improve by doing both.

Physical attributes have about the same influence in both (people always find the one they're better at to be more 'technical' and less attribute based), though differently. Between two equally skilled competitors gi tends to amplify strength because of the grip, no-gi tends to amplify speed and agility because its harder to restrain someone. You see this quite clearly if you compete in both judo and wrestling for instance - strength is more of an issue in judo (yes, I know the judo inquisition will be after me for saying this), speed and agility in wrestling.

And it always takes a lot more physical attributes if you're not used to it ... if you're used to gi then no-gi is going to feel very physical, if you're used to no-gi then gi is going to feel very physical.

Last edited:
My no gi is significantly better if only because I can bait things more and slip out of submissions easier. It gave me some really bad habits for gi though.

My nogi game is similar, just more aggro because I can't stay in DLR guard for as long. I also opt for half guard over spider guard when they don't put a knee up because I'm not good at seated guard, and I don't like closed guard in nogi.

I've been training more with the Gi recently but I feel like my no gi game is still better.... They're getting close but I feel like I can grapple on a slightly higher level in no gi. Hopefully they'll balance out soon.

For whatever reason I almost never train no-gi, but I'm a lot better at it. I tend not to spend a lot of time on techniques in gi that won't cross over to no-gi (ie, I don't heavily train spider guard), and my bread and butter subs are the armbar and triangle.

I actually find it easier to roll with guys a bigger and stronger than me in no-gi than in gi because there's less friction and no gi for them to latch on to and throw me around with. Since I'm 160, and not a particularly strong 160, most guys tend to be tend to be bigger and stronger than me.

i find it just different. there are days when i do good in gi and think i'm better with it and days when i don't. some techniques work perfectly for me and some just don't - but it all depends on who i'm going against also. some guys i handle better nogi, some gi.

i think the key is to spend less time worrying about things and more time focusing on having good technique and above all having a good time.

strength is more of an issue in judo (yes, I know the judo inquisition will be after me for saying this), speed and agility in wrestling.

Nah, if we went every man who thinks they have figured out judo after 1 a month of training we would never end.

The half truths are the dangerous ones.

yea i have the same problem, except my nogi game is better than my gi game..
well not completely.. i find my top game/passing to be equal in both gi and nogi, however my guard is much better in nogi

I find I'm better at no-gi because I enjoy it more. I spend way more time in a gi though. Its more athletic and I really enjoy the faster pace.

I usually trained about half gi & nogi back in Pittsburgh. When I moved to Philly I trained grappling almost exclusively gi; although, I also do MMA here. I was afraid it would hurt me. Instead it actually helped. I'm much tighter & can easily switch my grips. I just won a nogi tournament so it certainly didn't affect my performance badly!

I fight for top position a lot more in no gi, and scramble much more. My Gi game is pretty transferable and doesn't have alot of Gi specific stuff in it (butterfly, half guard), so not a ton changes technique wise.

More of just an overall strategy.

I am just now starting to develop a top game, after training in a school full of wrestlers I always had to make due with guard, now that I have been playing a lot of deep half/ half guard and sweeping from there to often their half my top game is finally in its infancy. However i find my deep half getting passed almost easily in no gi matches and very seldom in gi matches.

Back