Significant difference in gi/nogi game?

i made a thread about it a while back. almost half a year of strict gi rolling. when i returned to nogi, i feel like fucking terere flying all over the mat. i was never a pressure grappler & nogi does suit my style base on catching someone off a scramble. the gi really helped my nogi game. don't listen to eddie bravo.

anyone here thinks you can be real good at gi without good grip strength? Before you bring up JJ Machado, he still had one good hand (and world class potential haha). Are there any really good gi players that don't really grab the gi at all and always use over/underhooks?

anyone here thinks you can be real good at gi without good grip strength? Before you bring up JJ Machado, he still had one good hand (and world class potential haha). Are there any really good gi players that don't really grab the gi at all and always use over/underhooks?

I'm not sure about being good w/out a strong grip but I do know since I started gi my grip strength certainly increased.

I personally can't pass gaurd for shit during no gi. It's so hard. Without grips, i'm totally lost.

I'm not sure about being good w/out a strong grip but I do know since I started gi my grip strength certainly increased.

I have a nerve issue, and my grip is never gonna be strong as far as I know..in fact has gotten weaker past few years. Damn I just hate fighting/breaking grips on the gi. Why can't they say training no gi will improve your gi game?!!?

I have a nerve issue, and my grip is never gonna be strong as far as I know..in fact has gotten weaker past few years. Damn I just hate fighting/breaking grips on the gi. Why can't they say training no gi will improve your gi game?!!?

You can concentrate more on overhooks and underhooks and work without grips, but you need to be able to recognize strong grips and break them. Even if you won'y be gripping, someone could shit down a lot of your game with a really good grip.

A lot of Marcelo Garcia's game is transferrable between gi and nogi. Might want to give it a look.

Back