Shrugs on the Smith Machine

adren@line

Creator Sustainer Destroyer
Reaction score
I go to a commercial gym and see alot of guys doing shrugs on a smith machine.

I guess you can load more weight onto your traps and not worry so much about grip.

Anyone use this method?

Or is it the usual commercial gym BS.

I don't use the smith machine.
The pretty boys always have it occupied.

It's not BAD to do them ... but if you are going to do heavy shrugs, why not just use dumbells or a barbell and get a better grip work in while yer at it? ...

shrugs i dont see whats wrong.

it's not my prefered method of doing them. But hey.. if all the power racks are taken with guys doing deads and squats... i'm not gonna make a big case about using them or wait when i can shrug on the smith.

if the racks are open i shrug on them.. if some body else needs it more i'll use the smith. you do get slightly more benifits on the rack but hoenstly... if i worry about my grip.. i cna always work on it after i shrugg.

it maybe because i worked a ten hour day and then went and sparred at my bjj class for about forty minutes but i'm not getting something. how would the smith machine make it easier on your grip. i get that the bar doesn't roll, but it still weighs whatever weight you put on it. so if you load the fuck out off it, it's still heavy. i do confess that i know little on how the smith machine works since i have actually never used one in my whole lifting lifespan. if someone could educate me that would be cool. i'll have to read about it later cause i'm going to go snore in my girls ear now.

The Smith is a 15 pound bar that only goes vertically. It has a hook on each side of the bar that latches on to a horizontal piece of metal inside (the rung). So basically, you lift it slightly and rotate the bar forward a bit so when you're doing your exercise the hooks dont catch on the rungs on the descend... i hope that makes sense. I was using it for squats for a bit because it's way easier form-wise, but I just stick to a less impressive form on a regular barbell and get better results.

adren@line said:
I guess you can load more weight onto your traps and not worry so much about grip.

Any machine that lets you worry less about your grip is evil in my opinion.

smith machine is pants!!! as for grip it dont make no difference cus its the same weight.

I tried them once, and found them useless.

Find some DB's.

Sonny said:
Any machine that lets you worry less about your grip is evil in my opinion.
Seconded, this thread reminds me why its a shame that Carnal left, its just not the same without a stoned diatribe in the thread.

Shrugs would be one of the few good uses of a smith machine. It will train your grip differently than dumbbells though because the bar on the smith machine is non-revolving, making it easier on your grip. Also, if you train shrugs with a normal barbell you'll want to do them double-overhand to get the gripwork benefits- an alternate grip essensially makes the barbell non-revolving as well.

BC.

groin striker said:
smith machine is pants!!! as for grip it dont make no difference cus its the same weight.

What?

I am trying to establish the pattern
Phil Collins -> Pete Williams -> Judge Joe Brown, wait let me guess, let me guess. Ummmm..........

rickdog said:
I am trying to establish the pattern
Phil Collins -> Pete Williams -> Judge Joe Brown, wait let me guess, let me guess. Ummmm..........

HAHAHAHA! You're such a little shit disturber!! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back