• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Shoyoroll Rio Koi Pre-Sale

It is the same weave Storm has been using.

I don't think I've ever really checked out a storm kimono.

I don't mind the dragon head on the inside. I could take it or leave it personally

I do however like that the patches are green and yellow. definitely has a nice "brazil" feel to it

and yeah: I dunno why: But I kinda like having a gi bag
it's nice to walk into the gym with everything all folded away into a neat corresponding gi bag. I mean: if you're going to pay top money: it's nice to have a matching gi bag

I was looking at something like a "catch all" gi bag: but I'm not sure I'll get one yet

80Nq2JMZUDpBJAcMfiXN__rslU2gRHttUW_25eSPTtLVJHikxqiaoJp2-fjZutIsPNBivtmj3rK2rCWozvXOclbJ3mgCtJYSbmolUMLaYO-imUP3GHxy4rJB9CNiaTCe4AuYOOwjLXRyRCAvoIdXz51ieS7d-9Xv_VInLtY0QsE6FNct3j_Po39BqgfEt2WIBpLcfsawGMbTWLsrFMD05jMbzoWDe3ZaTqm5A2kF47LO8us8c7KNLUnqqJTQmCMMtc0Bi9FpH4C8oIS6uPau1gy4B6MkZ47ESzhajqsD1Xw=s220-c

Storm gi = made in China but charge you over 200 bucks but cool guys like Mendes , Galvao and Estima wears it.

Yet Shoyoroll is overprice and shady.

Ha, "that guy" never cease to amuse us.

No gi bag? That is very amateur IMO. Shoyoroll seems to be upping their price but cheaping out on the things that makes premier Gi companies premier.

I'm fine with the dragon and it's relation to a Koi in Japan has been explained previously in this thread.

The two week pre-order is no where near as bad as the 6 months people had to wait.

We shall see I 'spose, i can only assume based off the Ring being in the same batc that it won't have the bag, but i hope it does.

Also, Storm is extremely overpriced IMO and looks cheesy.

Cheap out? ... did you see the Ring in person? Nothing about that gi seems cheap. It is the softest pearl weave I've ever felt (outside AND inside), the pants are phenomenal, the taping is extremely detailed, and they upped the quality on the embroidery and stitching.

Last edited:
Matching rashguards?

Yeah, they had released the details last year, but the name was different then. They then changed it from Rasta Koi to Rio Koi and offered more options for it like which arm to have the dragon on and whether to have it in color or black & white

302657_271086372914531_781423525_n.jpg

This is Rio's flag

That flag is for the state of Rio, "estado" is "state" in Portuguese. The city of Rio de Janeiro has their own flag. Just like New York state has the blue "Excelsior" flag with Justice on it, while New York City it's own flag that looks like a bleached Mexican flag: blue, white, orange with a pilgrim and indian:

Rio_de_Janeiro_%28RJ%29_-_Bandeira.svg

(those are dolphin fish not kois, before anyone asks) So all the colors in the Rio Koi are City of Rio colors and Brazilian national Colors.

Last edited:
Storm gi = made in China but charge you over 200 bucks but cool guys like Mendes , Galvao and Estima wears it.

Yet Shoyoroll is overprice and shady.

Ha, "that guy" never cease to amuse us.

The Typhoon is still $160, the 96 has a lot of bling (a lot of extra work) and special materials so it is a little more @ $210 - apparently everyone is raising their prices, so why not pay a little more for a high tech Gi? And it is still not as expensive as Lucky which is also made in China.

The way things are going, it is either made in China or Pakistan - one supports terrorists, and the other wants to take over the world, so it doesn't really matter where they are made.

Last edited:
We are all massively impressed by how you drop 'hunnets' of dollas and get totally ripped yo....

Rio Koi and Wave are two totally different gis. Tops, bottoms, linings, nothing is close about them. RK is a new lightweight 'tech' weave without a lining and Wave is 550 pearl with a rash guard. RK is standard twill cotton pants, Wave is that poly/cotton blend (like the Rings). Might as well compare apples to oranges. Ring is much closer to the Wave.

Not to mention scramble's cuts are BIZARRE! Their A1 has been closer to an A2 (According the person I sold my Ichiban to) and they are supposedly using the same cut.

Cheap out? ... did you see the Ring in person? Nothing about that gi seems cheap. It is the softest pearl weave I've ever felt (outside AND inside), the pants are phenomenal, the taping is extremely detailed, and they upped the quality on the embroidery and stitching.

I'm talking about the cheaping out on the Gi bag specifically.

Also having "Repsect" on a Gi bag isn't very high quality IMO.

I haven't seen the Ring in person, but in regards to their other gis nothing but aesthetics are truly different then most other Gi brands. Taping, softness, stitching, etc.

And soft is great on the inside, but why would you want it soft on the outside? It's supposed to be hard to grip...

I'll be picking up the Rio Koi for sure, I'm not a Shoyoroll hater, but pretending they're above reproach is ridiculous.

instead of getting a gi bag, they shipped the gi's early instead of having to wait 6 months. i'm sure most people would take that over getting a gi bag they'll never use.

I tend to agree with Dan. I don't think anybody is above reproach. I love my Ring gi, but I know a bunch of companies who've had other issues in the past. They just aren't as popular as Shoyoroll so nobody freaks out about it. Also I've known people with Atamas and Korals that rip in the first few days and they don't come on here and make 500-post threads ranting about it. For some reason, in the minds of consumers (myself included), SYR is a different case.

Just for reference:
shoyoroll-repsect-maeda-300x225.jpg

http://gireviews.net/shoyoroll-the-count-batch-11-gi-reviews/

shoyoroll-jiujutsu-300x300.jpg

http://gireviews.net/shoyoroll-compadre-gi-review/

That said, I'll be grabbing a Rio Koi. And definitely a Lew. Still not sure about the goldstar.

DanOfEarth said:
And soft is great on the inside, but why would you want it soft on the outside? It's supposed to be hard to grip...

Maybe soft it the wrong word. Smooth?

I find rougher gis easier to grip, when they're smooth it feels like they just slip out of my hand

Last edited:
Maybe soft it the wrong word. Smooth?

I find rougher gis easier to grip, when they're smooth it feels like they just slip out of my hand

This is absolutely true. Couple guys at my gym got Fushida's recently and they are so hard to grab a hold of and they are soft as a babies bottom.

EDIT: Wrong thread.

Anyways can't wait for Monday. Hopefully I'll be able to get one though. Will be furious if I miss out on it.

Friday. Pre-sale is ALL day Friday for those on the inside because of an apparent abundance of foresight. - E

No gi bag? That is very amateur IMO. Shoyoroll seems to be upping their price but cheaping out on the things that makes premier Gi companies premier.

I'm fine with the dragon and it's relation to a Koi in Japan has been explained previously in this thread.

The two week pre-order is no where near as bad as the 6 months people had to wait.

We shall see I 'spose, i can only assume based off the Ring being in the same batc that it won't have the bag, but i hope it does.

Also, Storm is extremely overpriced IMO and looks cheesy.

Agreed, I am unsure why the hideous looking Storm is damn near $300. The SYR Rio is a fine looking gi though, and the price isn't too bad either.

Seems like this one might actually come with a gi bag. SYR posted a close up, and it doesn't like it fabric from the gi. Also, looking at the close ups, it seems like it more koi than dragon. Like a shortned stubby dragon, or fish with a dragons head.

Seems like this one might actually come with a gi bag. SYR posted a close up, and it doesn't like it fabric from the gi. Also, looking at the close ups, it seems like it more koi than dragon. Like a shortned stubby dragon, or fish with a dragons head.

It is a koi fish body with a dragons head.

Back