Shouldn't gaethje fight the winner of Dariush vs. Tsarukyan?

Should the ufc make gaethje vs. Dariush/tsarukyan winner?

• No. Let gaethje wait for a title fight or fight FW Max

Votes: 25 61.0%
  • Yes, book number 1 contender fight between gaethje and dariush/arman winner

Votes: 16 39.0%

• Total voters
I am not blaming gaethje. I've just accepted that islam is in a position of much greater leverage, so he is more enabled to do whatever he wants, unfortunately. Gaethje on the other hand does not have all the benefits and power that come with being a champ, yet wants to sit out twice as long as the champ. I think it is fair to ask him to fight again.

Why is Islam in a better position? His only job is to defend his championship belt. Gaethje on the other hand can fight whenever and whoever he wants within the organisation. Gaethje choosing to wait for another shot after beating #6 and #2 in just this streak is reasonable it's his income and doesn't change the division. Islam has to fight or he will be stripped. The only reason he has to sit out 2x as long as the champ is because the champ won't fight again until October next year after he fights in March-May next year. The only year Islam fought 3x was in 2021. Every other year of his career he has fought 2x or not at all.

You can't punish contenders because the champion needs a special schedule all the time. Islam is saying he will fight 3x next year, so we might even get the GAethje fight mid year if Islam doesn't need ages to recover if he faces any adversity vs CHarles.

Gaethje's at his peak. You get that guy a title shot. I don't give a fuck about past history. Personally I think he finishes Islam. It's certainly worth seeing and nobody sans Oliveira is more deserving of it. You know, unless Islam wants to fight OMalley and Pantoja next.

Why is Islam in a better position? His only job is to defend his championship belt. Gaethje on the other hand can fight whenever and whoever he wants within the organisation. Gaethje choosing to wait for another shot after beating #6 and #2 in just this streak is reasonable it's his income and doesn't change the division. Islam has to fight or he will be stripped. The only reason he has to sit out 2x as long as the champ is because the champ won't fight again until October next year after he fights in March-May next year. The only year Islam fought 3x was in 2021. Every other year of his career he has fought 2x or not at all.

You can't punish contenders because the champion needs a special schedule all the time. Islam is saying he will fight 3x next year, so we might even get the GAethje fight mid year if Islam doesn't need ages to recover if he faces any adversity vs CHarles.

The premise of this thread has islam fighting before gaethje and twice next year, which is average for a champ. Gaethje sitting out for a year is not average for a contender, hence why I'm talking about how he should get another fight if things play out that way.

With the rumors of islam vs. Charles 2 being next, wouldn't it make all the sense in the world to keep the LW division moving and book a true number one contender bout between the winner of dariush/arman and gaethje?

It makes plenty of sense timeline wise. Islam and charles 2 isn't even booked yet. So you could likely book gaethje and the winner of dariush/arman around the same time as that title fight, and then have the winners fight.

The alternatives is just a lot of waiting, or gaethje having a fun fight against max, but that fight doesn't really do much for keeping the top of the LW division moving.

I realize a lot of people think gaethje should wait, but the guy is only on a two fight win steak since his last title fight. This will be his third chance at a undisputed title, so it seems like asking him to go on a streak longer than wins Is fair.

What do you guys think?

No porrier should gaethje just beat him for the number 1 contender spot

I wasn't a fan when they gave Gaethje his 2nd TS off a win over Chandler, but this time he beat a streaking Fiziev and Poirier by headkick KO, who I think were both top 5. That's pretty damn good and more than any other contender has done lately. Asking him to beat another top 5 guy is... a lot to ask.
It's not like he already has a loss to the current champ so he arguably deserves it more than Oliveira.

He deserves it more than Oliveira? Who knocked him out then choked him out in less than a round…

That’s some mighty fine mental gymnastics… is that you Justin?

I wasn't a fan when they gave Gaethje his 2nd TS off a win over Chandler, but this time he beat a streaking Fiziev and Poirier by headkick KO, who I think were both top 5. That's pretty damn good and more than any other contender has done lately. Asking him to beat another top 5 guy is... a lot to ask.
It's not like he already has a loss to the current champ so he arguably deserves it more than Oliveira.
This makes all the sense in the world. Win streaks are one thing but compare the Quality of Tony's 12 fight win streak with Justin beating Dustin and Fiv.

He deserves it more than Oliveira? Who knocked him out then choked him out in less than a round…

That’s some mighty fine mental gymnastics… is that you Justin?
Charles just got choked out by Islam and is on a 1 fight win streak. For those complaining Justin needs to go on a longer win streak at least 2 > 1. Justin hasn't lost to Islam and Charles has. I would be happy with Charles vs Justin for the next shot if Islam is going to sit? He hasn't been booked yet but his last 5 fights have been in Oct/Feb/Oct/Feb/Oct. If he isn't fighting in Feb and sits until Oct do an Interim/#1 contender fight at UFC 300 with Justin and Charles.

Charles just got choked out by Islam and is on a 1 fight win streak. For those complaining Justin needs to go on a longer win streak at least 2 > 1. Justin hasn't lost to Islam and Charles has. I would be happy with Charles vs Justin for the next shot if Islam is going to sit? He hasn't been booked yet but his last 5 fights have been in Oct/Feb/Oct/Feb/Oct. If he isn't fighting in Feb and sits until Oct do an Interim/#1 contender fight at UFC 300 with Justin and Charles.
The whole top 8 hasn’t lost to IVlam, but most of them have lost to Charles. Should they all get their shots at the belt before him?
The division is a mess, they should not let Charles eliminate all the contenders and they should not let the champ sit out.
Strip him if he continues to talk that double champ shit before defending against real contenders in the weight class. And I agree make an interim, if he is not defending before october. Then we will have a real international champ and a AbuDhabiweight champ.

The whole top 8 hasn’t lost to IVlam, but most of them have lost to Charles. Should they all get their shots at the belt before him?
The division is a mess, they should not let Charles eliminate all the contenders and they should not let the champ sit out.
Strip him if he continues to talk that double champ shit before defending against real contenders in the weight class. And I agree make an interim, if he is not defending before october. Then we will have a real international champ and a AbuDhabiweight champ.
I don't think everyone should get a shot before charles and never said that. Charles just lost to Islam and it wasn't debatable or fluky it was a decisive finish. You clearly have a bias against Islam calling him IVlam but he finsihed Charles clearly and easily. Charles was booked and Volk stepped in so if Charles fights him again it will be Cain fighting JDS/Big Foot/JDS/Big Foot/JDS territory. Should Islam fight the same 2 guys over & over?

If they are going with Charles it needs to happen ASAP. Islam deserves to fight different challengers and fans deserve to see him challenged by different fighters who can bring different challenges for him to overcome. I am a fan of Charles style and had no issue with him getting a rematch but the division as you called it is a Mess. I am not sure it really is a mess due to Islam. He fights twice per year which is about average for UFC champs.

The UFC is to blame more than Islam. No need for Volk to get the call on short notice when there was a back up fighter on tap. I would rather Islam's record have shown Charles, Volk, Gamrot and then Charles again or Justin instead. Now it is going to be Charles, Volk, Volk, Charles. Over a 2 year period with only 2 opponents?

Gaethje deserves TS for beating Fiziev. Islam rematching Olivera is stupid when the first fight was decisive. If they do decide to go ahead, yeah Gaethje needs to fight the winner in the meantime.

I think Arman is kinda overrated. Beneil doesn't get any respect.

I think Arman is kinda overrated. Beneil doesn't get any respect.

I'm rooting for Beneil. He's a very good fighter, but every once in a while he lays an egg. I hope he looks sharp next weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back