shoulder pressure during training

gtsbjj12**

White Belt
Reaction score
hey guys,

I was wondering what people's opinions are on shoulder pressure while training. is it a dick move, or is it completely justified and part of the game? I for one use it to help open submissions and positions, not just to smash the other guy's head. for those who don't know what shoulder pressure is, it's when you drive your shoulder from side mount into your opponent's chin so it pins their head to the ground, resulting in them being unable to turn into you.

Against people of similar weight I think its a must. I haven't seen anyone get hurt from shoulder pressure yet and its something that must be practiced to be good at.

I don't think it's a dick move at all. I like doing this to distract them so I can set something up.

I think the forearm to the throat is a dick move. I was casually rolling with a bigger guy and had him in triangle, he then stacked me with all his weight and dropped his forearm really hard onto my throat. That shit really pissed me off.

I don't think it's a dick move at all. I like doing this to distract them so I can set something up.

I think the forearm to the throat is a dick move. I was casually rolling with a bigger guy and had him in triangle, he then stacked me with all his weight and dropped his forearm really hard onto my throat. That shit really pissed me off.

Ive had alot of people try to sub me like this i dont mind them doing it but it sound like that dude was an ass tryin to slam it on ur throat

The context of forearm to the throat matters a bit... Is it being applied from side control with the guy dropping his weight like you said, or is it being used as a frame to get the other guy to back off of something?

I'll use a fist to the throat or forearm/frame to the throat to stop the can-opener. In the last tournament I was in this guy tried to can-open me from inside my guard, so I drove my fist into his wind-pipe/throat, which after a few seconds shut down his can-opener. He ultimately beat me on points but I wasn't going to let him can-open me and get me from my guard.

Shoulder pressure is part of the game, especially in no-gi.

IMHO, in training, forearm to the throat is also fine as long as you do it slowly and with steadily increasing pressure, not slamming it home.

Can opener is a dick move, because it's nothing but a neck crank and I would have no problem sticking a fist (or my preference: two fingers in the hollow spot) in a dude's throat to break the can opener.

BTW, I have tapped one or two guys from shoulder pressure while in their guard, but they were very new. It's never worked on an experienced guy. I think the newbs just panicked, not realizing it isn't a finishing move.

It's basic proper technique. Your top game should be uncomfortable for the guy on bottom, and good shoulder pressure is a part of control.

It's basic proper technique. Your top game should be uncomfortable for the guy on bottom, and good shoulder pressure is a part of control.

Agreed 100%. Jiu Jitsu should be making the other guy uncomfortable and even miserable. I won't always max it out in training, but all always use on someone to control unless they are a kid or a lot smaller and a lot less skilled. And even then is probably good for them in small amounts. I've never heard of anyone getting F'ed up from the sudden application of a cross face.

Forearm to the throat can be a legit choke, pressure to fend off another attack, etc. Again unless someone is bigger, better, and just bullying someone than it is fine IMO. As long as your not trying to crush the person wind pipe.

I only think moves are dbag moves if you are intentionally trying to injure someone, like exploding into a joint lock before someone has chance to tap.

The context of forearm to the throat matters a bit... Is it being applied from side control with the guy dropping his weight like you said, or is it being used as a frame to get the other guy to back off of something?

I'll use a fist to the throat or forearm/frame to the throat to stop the can-opener. In the last tournament I was in this guy tried to can-open me from inside my guard, so I drove my fist into his wind-pipe/throat, which after a few seconds shut down his can-opener. He ultimately beat me on points but I wasn't going to let him can-open me and get me from my guard.

I agree, context is important. I'm a 150# purple belt, the other guy's about 225# white belt. I've noticed that when I roll with bigger white/blue belts (I've noticed this more with Brazilians) and I'm dominating them (i.e., positionally dominating, sweeping at will, etc), they start getting pissed and get all aggro. Usually this isn't a problem and I can deal with it, but when they purposefully stack the shit out of my neck with all their weight and do the dick forearm move, it pisses me off. Last time this happened, I started choking the shit out of the guy with a loop choke and he managed to bite my hand.

Shoulder pressure is fine to secure or advance a position or provide some "distraction" for a set up or pass.

Just don't slap it on and keep drilling it in when you're just rolling in class.

If you outweigh (or outclass) your partner significantly don't be a jerk and really grind it.

There is a difference between not letting them turn back into you and leaving their faceprint in the mat. :)

Peace,
Zen Mojo
zenmojobjj.blogspot.com/

_____
Get your grips, use your shoulder for pressure and whisper something dirty to the mat as you pass...

Last edited:
I love throwing as much shoulder pressure on someone as possible and I hate having shoulder pressure done to me. It is part of the game.

It's fine as long as you don't do it from a distance, which would be crossing the line into striking.

Agreed 100%. Jiu Jitsu should be making the other guy uncomfortable and even miserable.

I only think moves are dbag moves if you are intentionally trying to injure someone, like exploding into a joint lock before someone has chance to tap.

i'm totally for these statements, too. when practice rolling, i often don't/won't finish some joint locks like armbars which i knew i would've had if i'd done them with more strength & speed, but it's not worth it since i'd appreciate the same courtesy.

I agree, context is important. I'm a 150# purple belt, the other guy's about 225# white belt. I've noticed that when I roll with bigger white/blue belts (I've noticed this more with Brazilians) and I'm dominating them (i.e., positionally dominating, sweeping at will, etc), they start getting pissed and get all aggro. Usually this isn't a problem and I can deal with it, but when they purposefully stack the shit out of my neck with all their weight and do the dick forearm move, it pisses me off. Last time this happened, I started choking the shit out of the guy with a loop choke and he managed to bite my hand.

haha i had a newbie bite my hamstring when i slapped on a triangle. Anyone else I would have held it too long for biting me. A newbie who panics I am more forgiving.

There is a big difference between being a dickhead and applying legit pressure. Usually dickhead moves only work on someone who isn't as good as you. Legit pressure works against anyone.

It's a two way street. I apply enough pressure to get the control I desire, and no more. If the guy resists a lot, I will need to add more pressure.

Back