• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should wilder be considered a p4p great

We don’t have height classes. We don’t have frame classes. We have weight classes. Andy ruiz is a monster heavyweight.

wilder is 6-6 209-213. He’s a skinny guy. Usyk is 220 at cruiserweight he was dehydrating to get to 200. His body has not changed he just no longer needs to dehydrate
What do you think is the foundation that houses all of that mass (weight)? A fighter's frame does. Wilder isn't a small heavyweight. He's fought as high as around 240 lbs and still looked lean in his musculature. Usyk had to bulk up to 220 lbs and looks soft compared to how he used to look at cruiserweight. Why? His frame is smaller because he's a smaller man. This isn't complicated.

What do you think is the foundation that houses all of that mass (weight)? A fighter's frame does. Wilder isn't a small heavyweight. He's fought as high as around 240 lbs and still looked lean in his musculature. Usyk had to bulk up to 220 lbs and looks soft compared to how he used to look at cruiserweight. Why? His frame is smaller because he's a smaller man. This isn't complicated.

He was 238 for fury. Never been that high before or since. He has consistently weighed in 209-213. Usyk has abs still at 220. There was no bulk up he’d just not cutting. This isn’t hard.

no one was saying oh wow charlo is 6-1 and Canelo is 5-7 charlo is a bigger because he’s taller.,

P4p he might actually be better than usyk or any of these other guys from cruiserweight and up. Below that though there's too many guys to count who are more impressive p4p

He was 238 for fury. Never been that high before or since. He has consistently weighed in 209-213. Usyk has abs still at 220. There was no bulk up he’d just not cutting. This isn’t hard.

no one was saying oh wow charlo is 6-1 and Canelo is 5-7 charlo is a bigger because he’s taller.,
Which is around 240 lbs as I said. That's the heaviest Wilder has weighed in at in his career. Usyk's highest weight is 221 lbs. That's 17 pounds lighter which, by your logic, means "smaller." It's clear to see that Usyk has a smaller frame, is much shorter, doesn't carry his mass as well as Wilder as a result (Wilder is a lot leaner), and he came up from cruiserweight. Wilder may have been able to make the cruiserweight limit, maybe, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he would've been able to perform out there at 200 lbs.

Getting back to what I said earlier, David Haye weighed as little as 210 lbs at heavyweight and more than once. He often gave up 40-50 pounds. Gave up 100 lbs against Valuev. Like Usyk he came up from cruiser. The guy was a two-division champ, yet, nobody is calling him a P4P great.

LOL. The next time someone sells you weed, and you smoke it, make sure it isn't catnip first.
Just depends on how you look at it, if you are going off skills and resume obviously usyk is way better. If you taking it in a literal sense the way some do, then yea wilder and usyk weigh about same and I would probably favor wilder over usyk head to head. I also don't think there's a single guy on usyks resume who would beat wilder. I don't know that usyk would beat fury from a few years ago

Just depends on how you look at it, if you are going off skills and resume obviously usyk is way better. If you taking it in a literal sense the way some do, then yea wilder and usyk weigh about same and I would probably favor wilder over usyk head to head. I also don't think there's a single guy on usyks resume who would beat wilder. I don't know that usyk would beat fury from a few years ago
Wilder has P4P power but his skills aren't there. His resume isn't there. Usyk isn't even regarded as a puncher and he's in there against much bigger men beating the top guys in their own backyards. That's the definition of pound-for-pound.

Wilder has P4P power but his skills aren't there. His resume isn't there. Usyk isn't even regarded as a puncher and he's in there against much bigger men beating the top guys in their own backyards. That's the definition of pound-for-pound.
That's why I say it depends on what you mean by p4p. Most pfp lists are justing going off of your accomplishments and the dominance you have displayed in your weight class or going up in weight. Then there's the way some others like to view p4p as like a hypothetical what if situation, where if x fighter was naturally the same weight as x fighter who would win. Going off that criteria I just don't think usyk matches up well against wilder. His disadvantages in skill are more than made up for by his physical advantages I believe. And I believe that at both cruiserweight and heavyweight, wilder would beat more guys as well. Im not even sure usyk would be the luis ortiz that wilder beat

Y
You can’t keep side stepping that it’s about weight not height.

I just like no one questioned Canelo was a bigger man despite having less reach and height. Wilder by definition is p4p

Y

I just like no one questioned Canelo was a bigger man despite having less reach and height. Wilder by definition is p4p
Wilder isn't a P4Per. He has never been rated as such by anyone in the media. Not even by educated fans that were hardcore Wilder fans. You're either painfully clueless or this is a troll job.

Last edited:
That's why I say it depends on what you mean by p4p. Most pfp lists are justing going off of your accomplishments and the dominance you have displayed in your weight class or going up in weight. Then there's the way some others like to view p4p as like a hypothetical what if situation, where if x fighter was naturally the same weight as x fighter who would win. Going off that criteria I just don't think usyk matches up well against wilder. His disadvantages in skill are more than made up for by his physical advantages I believe. And I believe that at both cruiserweight and heavyweight, wilder would beat more guys as well. Im not even sure usyk would be the luis ortiz that wilder beat
Wilder has never fought at cruiserweight. He's a heavyweight. Earlier you said that you don't believe anyone Usyk has beaten would beat Wilder but the reverse is also true. Nobody that Wilder's beaten would be favored over Usyk. Luiz Ortiz is Wilder's best win but he isn't an elite level fighter. He's never even held a world title. He was also quite old when Wilder beat him.

Stylistically, per the conventional wisdom that is "Rock, Paper, Scissors," on paper Usyk beats Wilder (pure boxer/stylist aka out-fighter vs slugger).

L
Wilder isn't a P4Per. He has never been rated as such by anyone in the media. Not even by educated fans that were hardcore Wilder fans. You're either painfully clueless or this is a troll job.

P4p great is probably a stretch when you take skills into account. But if you take it in the literal sense of the word, if a person is able to impose his style on someone that is far bigger than he is, he is by definition a p4p fighter.

Wilder has never fought at cruiserweight. He's a heavyweight. Earlier you said that you don't believe anyone Usyk has beaten would beat Wilder but the reverse is also true. Nobody that Wilder's beaten would be favored over Usyk. Luiz Ortiz is Wilder's best win but he isn't an elite level fighter. He's never even held a world title. He was also quite old when Wilder beat him.

Stylistically, per the conventional wisdom that is "Rock, Paper, Scissors," on paper Usyk beats Wilder (pure boxer/stylist aka out-fighter vs slugger).

I'm not sure if Ortiz never holding a world title is relevant when the only champion he challenged is the same one that is being discussed.

It's not like Joseph Parker beat his ass or something. Wilder was the only guy who had beaten Ortiz for pretty much his entire career. Ortiz is not elite, but would he beat the 2nd tier of heavyweights? It seems plausible to me, he certainly is good enough to be a transitional champion.

L

P4p great is probably a stretch when you take skills into account. But if you take it in the literal sense of the word, if a person is able to impose his style on someone that is far bigger than he is, he is by definition a p4p fighter.
Pound-for-pound is about skill. That's why the concept was created in the first place. It was inspired by the likes of SRR and Benny Leonard. How do you prove you're highly skilled? By beating the top fighters in and around your weight. Particularly when they're at or around their best (prime years or not far removed from it). Wilder has a P4P quality attribute, power, but that's all.

I'm not sure if Ortiz never holding a world title is relevant when the only champion he challenged is the same one that is being discussed.

It's not like Joseph Parker beat his ass or something. Wilder was the only guy who had beaten Ortiz for pretty much his entire career. Ortiz is not elite, but would he beat the 2nd tier of heavyweights? It seems plausible to me, he certainly is good enough to be a transitional champion.
How else are we supposed to rate Ortiz's quality as a fighter? He's never won a major world title, was knocked out twice by Wilder who is clearly the most limited of the Big 4, and his resume isn't even remotely notable. Ortiz never fought Fury, AJ, or Usyk to really gauge just how he'd do against the other elite fighters in the division. I know that he declined a big offer to fight AJ. He can't really use the age excuse, either, because he's been considered old since he hit the world level.

How else are we supposed to rate Ortiz's quality as a fighter? He's never won a major world title, was knocked out twice by Wilder who is clearly the most limited of the Big 4, and his resume isn't even remotely notable. Ortiz never fought Fury, AJ, or Usyk to really gauge just how he'd do against the other elite fighters in the division. I know that he declined a big offer to fight AJ. He can't really use the age excuse, either, because he's been considered old since he hit the world level.

Because winning a world title is not indicative of how good you are on the world stage in boxing. So why even bother mentioning it? You can be elite and not have a world title, you can be elite and have a world title.

Ortiz never used age as an excuse to fight Joshua (though his age is still relevant, it does not make sense to say "he was always old so it shouldn't matter"...old people still get older).

Boxing is a business. They did not agree on the same terms. I don't get why you even brought this up, unless you're inferring he ducked Joshua because he sucks.

I already said that he is not an elite fighter. I am pointing out that saying he was not a world champion doesn't mean anything. A lot of good heavyweights are not world champions. The current world champions are hard to beat.

Because winning a world title is not indicative of how good you are on the world stage in boxing. So why even bother mentioning it? You can be elite and not have a world title, you can be elite and have a world title.

Ortiz never used age as an excuse to fight Joshua (though his age is still relevant, it does not make sense to say "he was always old so it shouldn't matter"...old people still get older).

Boxing is a business. They did not agree on the same terms. I don't get why you even brought this up, unless you're inferring he ducked Joshua because he sucks.

I already said that he is not an elite fighter. I am pointing out that saying he was not a world champion doesn't mean anything. A lot of good heavyweights are not world champions. The current world champions are hard to beat.
Mentioning that he's never won a world title is certainly relevant. He's challenged for one more than once and came up short. Against the most limited top heavyweight at that. Sure, I can name lots of skilled guys that have never won world titles but it's the very first thing you'd look at when looking at a fighter's resume. For one reason or another Ortiz never fought Fury, AJ, or Usyk. And he's been offered fights against at least one of them. What do you think that means?

Y

Because the relation between weight and sporting advantage isnt linear. A 300 lbs Fury overcoming the insurmountable odds of a 400 lbs Butterbean is not as impressive as a minimumweight going up 10 lbs to fight Estrada. A small HW gets little or no P4P considerations for beating a big HW.

Reactions: HHJ
He’s only light bc he has no legs . Which is why he has terrible balance if he misses power shots going forward .

P4P rates skill . Last time I checked he has some of the worst skills at heavyweight ,his speed and timing hide that to an extent but I’ll give him P4P the most delusional fighter of all time .

Back