Should there be a limit on how much weight a fighter can cut?

Hydration tests would be better. That's what we did in high school wrestling to prevent excessive weight cutting.

They work a treat as well. I did them for years. Limiting weight cutting would be the best thing to happen to the sport.

martial arts was created to prove that the smaller guy can beat the bigger fighter, not the bigger fighter is able to cut 30 pounds to fight the smaller fighter. Weight cutting goes against everything that martial arts stands for. Wrestling is not/has never been a martial arts, yet we have to adopt all the rules and weight cutting techniques that wrestlers have been accustomed of doing since grade school? what a joke.

bruce lee would not approve of what MMA weight cutting has become like today, either weigh in the same day of the fight or stop letting guys cut more than 15-20 pounds.

martial arts was created to prove that the smaller guy can beat the bigger fighter, not the bigger fighter is able to cut 30 pounds to fight the smaller fighter. Weight cutting goes against everything that martial arts stands for. Wrestling is not/has never been a martial arts, yet we have to adopt all the rules and weight cutting techniques that wrestlers have been accustomed of doing since grade school? what a joke.

bruce lee would not approve of what MMA weight cutting has become like today, either weigh in the same day of the fight or stop letting guys cut more than 15-20 pounds.

Doesn't this sentence render all of the whining in the rest of your post moot?

Doesn't this sentence render all of the whining in the rest of your post moot?

It does. But he's always anti-wrestling. Also, Bruce Lee wouldn't give a damn about a bigger guy fighting a smaller guy. He'd welcome people coming down to fight him.

But the idea of weight-cutting getting ridiculous is still valid.

I want to hear more about hydration tests.

I think they should be used to ensure that guys "appear" to be cutting no more than 10 pounds for the upper weights and perhaps 5 for FW and BW.

I want to hear more about hydration tests.

I think they should be used to ensure that guys "appear" to be cutting no more than 10 pounds for the upper weights and perhaps 5 for FW and BW.

Again, pounds is too difficult. Hydration tests or % tally is better. 10% is a pretty easy marker to set. 5 lbs can be lost with a good jog, a quality set of sprints, and a summer day (then skipping 3 meals). 10 isn't that hard either if you're already in shape and your body is burning off calories.

Why would you bother limiting weight cutting?

You either ban it all together, or let people risk killing themselves.

not people trying to make money, the horror. the inhumanity. anything but that.

I'm pointing out why your dichotomy is naive. I'm not making a statement against money, you dolt.

I'm pointing out why your dichotomy is naive. I'm not making a statement against money, you dolt.

that was my first post in this thread.

so there is something wrong with guys risking their health for money?

You're wrong.

that was my first post in this thread.

so there is something wrong with guys risking their health for money?

There's a clear coercion to cut more and more to stay employed. There is a clear continuous push to drop more and more mass in shorter periods of time to gain a phantom advantage. There is a clear unchecked problem with excessive weightcutting.

There's a clear coercion to cut more and more to stay employed. There is a clear continuous push to drop more and more mass in shorter periods of time to gain a phantom advantage. There is a clear unchecked problem with excessive weightcutting.
so your issue is with guys trying too hard to win.

No matter what anybody says, Cutting weight is basically cheating, cheating that everybody does. It wouldn't be hard to implement something that made sure that fighters actually weigh 155, if they fight in that wheight class.
Maximum weight should be 155, 170 +++ whatever wieght class they are in, when the fighter steps into the octagon.

Guys cutting tremedous amount of weight, just so they can fight a smaller guy? I don't think it's cool. And like Rogan said, it's cheating, no matter how you look at it. But it cheating that everybody does. You have to do it to be able to fight and be competative. And that's not cool. UFC should do something about it.

They are professional fighters they are old enough to make their own decisions. Their doctor will tell them if it's too risky and the fighter either agrees or doesn't.

They are professional fighters and know how to cut weight. Take a guy like John Dodson for example. He has plenty of power, speed and cardio. He is 5'3" fights at 125lb. He Walks around at 160lbs or a little under.

For his fight tonight he weighed 152.4 this morning and will probably walk into the cage tonight around 154 or 155lbs.

His performances never suffer because of his weight cuts, he makes weight easily with plenty of time to spare (he was on weight over an hour before weigh ins yesterday).

Bottom line is professionals know their bodies and if they screw up and have a bad performance it's their problem. No need to change anything.

well it's gonna suck if someone over 280-285 ever gets really good and has to cut to 265 but isn't allowed. Could miss out on another Brock stepping in there

No, all fighters can cut weight, it's up to them to decide how much is best. Stop trying to fix something that isn't broken.

I believe in it myself, but it will never happen.

Too much money involved in promotion after weigh-ins and the like.

Back