Should there be a limit on how much weight a fighter can cut?

marksmen

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What ya think? I mean I think 10-20lbs should be the limit from there natural weight. Say from the start of training camp whatever they weigh then they can only cut 10-20lbs max. Would be healthier and stop guys from dropping down and down when they can't make it in another weight class. I mean Rumble cutting to 170 was just ridiculous and others that cut a lot of weight. If you can't make it in one or two divisions then you should hang em up. Thoughts?

Kenny Florian fought in 4 weight classes, 185-145 which is ridiculous. I mean after 20lbs guys risking there health and performance.

Hydration tests would be better. That's what we did in high school wrestling to prevent excessive weight cutting.

Hydration tests would be better. That's what we did in high school wrestling to prevent excessive weight cutting.

Yeah but when we wrestled we had to hit that number multiple times and had matches only a few hours later. These guys hit that number and then have 28 hours

I wrestled 152 in highschool but now I fight at 145. That 24 hour period makes all the difference . I'd have been dead having to make 145 and THEN compete right afterwards

It should really be 0, fight at your own weight. The sport would be much better for it

Before setting a limit, they should just post the fight-time weight.

Fighters step on scales just before entering octagon. Logistically it's not very complicated. Lol.

No. Fighters should have to make weight exactly 7 days before the fight, and the night before.

I think the limit should be on how much they put back on. So this way fight won't be cancelled.

I wrestled 152 in highschool but now I fight at 145. That 24 hour period makes all the difference . I'd have been dead having to make 145 and THEN compete right afterwards

Not denying that. But it's the only thing I can think of that could reasonably limit weight cuts.

And same. I generally compete in the 140s if there is day before weigh ins.

It should really be 0, fight at your own weight. The sport would be much better for it

this is stupid, not everyone will walk around at exactly the fight weight and will require some weight cutting which is even more dangerous if they fight a couple of hours later

I'd say around 10lbs should be the limit, 20-30lbs is just crazy. I mean are you really a WW if you drag your corpse to the scale and just barely not die? I mean I know it's has a downside like gassing out early/ being easier to knock out, I just feel like that you don't really get to see a fighters total skillset when they come in weakened from a big cut.

A fighter's natural weight can be so ambiguous. It would be too hard for them to regulate.

Weigh in the day before and than again on fight day. If they put on too much weight they're out.

Both day before And same day weighins. If they can't make it, deduct a point.

It shouldn't be about who is the best weightcutter. It should be about the best fighter. Guys that cut much weight have an unfair advantage.

this is stupid, not everyone will walk around at exactly the fight weight and will require some weight cutting which is even more dangerous if they fight a couple of hours later

If they try cut weight a few hours before a fight, they go in dehydrated and get beat down, which makes it much better. If you weigh 179 and the other guy is 183 you arent at any real disadvantage, but if youre 155 and the other guys 180, that is ridiculous

What is a Hydration test? Are they testing the Viscosity of the blood or anything like that?

10lbs for a BW is very different than 10lbs for a HW.

I say make a max% for their walking or weekend-warrior weight. So a LHW can cut 20lbs (so 225 is the biggest LHW). BW can cut 12lbs (biggest is 147).

Back