• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies Should The Matrix been a standalone movie?

Should The Matrix been a standalone movie?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Should it have been standalone?

No.

Be honest, after you finished watching the first, did you not cream your pants about a trilogy?

Of course you did; sorry it didnt turn out the way you'd hoped, but that doesnt mean it shouldnt have been done.

You're just being wise after the fact.

Like the Terminator franchise, just ignore the ones you think are shit and be happy with the original and pretend the others dont exist.

I really like the Matrix sequels; they're not as perfect as the original, but so what, there was still so much great stuff on display, and I was emotionally invested in the characters and story.

No they it warranted more movies, just not the ones we received

not that they were horrible but they could’ve been way better, especially that last one

No, they should just have made better sequels.

I voted yes, but the guy above me gets it.

Most people love the first movie the most, some like the Merovingian stuff in the 2nd, and no one likes the 3rd. I thought the 2nd did some things well, but it's mostly style over substance and none of the sequels expanded on the first in a meaningful way. Weinstein's may have run out of source material to swipe, I don't know, but the 3rd was a complete shit show.

So if people want to pretend there's only 1 Matrix movie the way they pretend there's only 3 Star Wars / Indiana Jones movies, than that's okay with me.

The second and third didn't live up to the quality of the first but that does not mean a second movie couldn't have been created to complete the story.

Should there have been sequels? - Yes

Should they have been better? - Yes...

There were parts that were good, but the plot holes were giant and there were too many hokey/eye rolling moments...

And holy fuck... that monologue by the Architect... WTF?

It seemed that there were good building blocks for a trilogy, it just got hosed.

And in the end... wasn't the life lived by the human batteries far superior to living in the dump of the Earth that humans created by creating the wasteland. It seems that the humans got what they deserved by killing the planet... lol

Hell no!

Part 2 & 3 were brilliant pieces of work and gave us several back stories of how the machine world operates and how the previous matrix's were flawed.
It even introduced us to a lot of interesting characters.

Saying the Matrix 1 should've been a standalone film is equivalent to saying Star Wars IV should've been a standalone film and the Empire Strikes back & Return of the Jedi SUCKED!!!

The Matrix series is not meant for dumb people.

I have spoken.....

Story-wise it needed to be a trilogy. Inspired by gnosticism, it only makes sense in a world created by an antagonistic design that the Chosen One would need to ascend past knowability into unknowability. The problem is that apparently they thought they could do it without Yuen Wo Ping to choreograph the fight scenes, ending up cribbing lesser efforts from other films. It's not easy to achieve what James Cameron seems to do so easily.

NOWHERE TO HIDE's fight scene, without Neo/Smith powers:

It works as a stand alone movie so you can just treat it that way. It ends without the need of a sequel and wraps up nicely with a woke (in a good way) Neo that can freely hack his world.

I recently watched Reloaded and Revolutions and while I thought they would age horribly, they are actually better than I remembered. Nothing amazing but they aren't bad or embarrassing. It was just hard to follow a near-perfect sci-fi flick.

I like to pretend that the sequels never happened.

I have about 400 movies on my external drive....revolutions and reloaded are not amongst them. Couldn't waste the space.

Man, I remember the first Matrix blew my mind when I saw it in theaters, to this day one of my favorite movies. The sequels certainly had some cool moments but nothing came close to matching the iconic first movie.

Back