Should Shahbazyan leave GFC?

DLX

thpinal
@Silver
Reaction score
Let's get one thing clear, I know he's NEVER going to leave.

Alright, with that being said, if you were to advise Edmen Shahbazyan, would you suggest that he leave right now even after just one loss and go to a Kings MMA or AKA, or try and stick it out with ol' Edmond? I'll be honest, when I first heard Shahbazyan was a GFC guy, I thought to myself that it'll only be a matter of time, and how unfortunate that that future of such a young and bright star could be easily determined. But imo, there's reason to believe things may be different this time.

I know the answer may seem obvious because of his reputation, but Edmond has been his coach since he was 10, and he has looked fantastic up until this point. I know some may respond and say Ronda looked great as well (until she didn't), but this to me appears to be a different situation. Middleweight is a FAR superior division than Womens Bantam, and while Edmen is definitely talented, this isn't a situation where he's just head and shoulders a more superior athlete than everyone he's fought. To me, he looks to be a promising and skilled up and comer with loads of potential, and that can all be thanks to the great Edmond Tarverdian.

If he leaves, it could also slightly set him back as he'd have to adjust to a new system after training in one for over 10 years.

Do you believe that Edmond may have the ability to coach his fighters out of a setback, or will the problems that have always haunted his camp once again rear its ugly head? Will GFC always remain a failed MMA camp, or will they finally redeem themselves?

Lots of guys have coaches when they're young, eventually, you HAVE to move on

It would be a shame if he doesn't leave out of some sense of false loyalty

Lots of guys have coaches when they're young, eventually, you HAVE to move on

It would be a shame if he doesn't leave out of some sense of false loyalty

If Edmond had any sense of loyalty to Shabby, he would tell him this himself.

A good teacher knows that he can't teach his student everything

If Edmond had any sense of loyalty to Shabby, he would tell him this himself.

A good teacher knows that he can't teach his student everything
I feel like Edmon doesn't have that attitude, but you're absolutely right

Edmon doesn't seem to have a comprehensive knowledge of MMA... has decent boxing knowledge that's it, it seems like

I have never heard him say anything that isn't self-obsessed, and delusional

Reactions: DLX
yes, of course.

though he doesn't have to leave. just bring some other good coaches in. it's the next best thing if he insists on staying.

i wonder about his strength and conditioning. He was doing well and it was like the bottom just fell out and he crashed.

might just need more experience in fights where he doesn't just yeet the other guy in a minute or two.

He's young and this was his first defeat at 22? I feel like cardio was his biggest issue, which isn't surprising as a young rising talent who has made short work of everyone he's faced. This is the first time he stepped up against a physical wrestler who was mixing things up and wearing on him too. Brunson is and has always been a gatekeeper to the top 10 of the division.

Shahbazyan can work on his cardio and get more work in with big strong wrestlers. Hes young, give him a couple much easier fights than Brunson for the next year or so, let him keep getting experience, build up some momentum and focus on working on his game and learning from this loss. Im sure Edmond Tarverdyan isnt the best coach for a talent like this, but if Shahbazyan is an intelligent self aware man, I think he will be fine regardless. It can be a stepping stone or a dead end, we will see.

He also gave up his back standing up and on the mat a lot more than you'd like to see. The loss doesn't define him but how he responds to it might.

Last edited:
He needs to change up his conditioning and his pace. I didnt see anything where he was completely out of his depth skill wise

Reactions: DLX
After the fight tonight he needs to problary go with a different team/gym
And also maybe he should do something about his diet.

If Edmen wants to become a dominant Champion he should go to Javier Mendez at AKA or Mike brown at ATT

Yeah as others have said it didn't look like a skill issue to me, more of a cardio issue.

Back