Should Protein shakes be taken after or before workout?

both, in my opinion. I personally take 20 grams of whey before and 16 of Muscle Milk+ 20 more of whey after. The whey absorbs quickly, while the Muscle Milk takes a little longer.

You'll get a different answer from everyone. I was asking this before too and I guess I've heard enough people say to just drink after a workout and before I sleep. Also with the price of Muscle Milk, there's no way I'm drinking 3 servings a day.

I dunno if im right but what i was thinking is, muscle milk after your toughest workout and before bed. Then for breakfast drink a normal protien shake before hand. This way you have your muscle milk which digests slower for when your body is trying to recover, and your quick acting protein while you are working out. Maybe add a banana to your mourning shake for the carbs.

I would agree with taking it before and after. However, if you could only choose one, I would choose after your workout as to assist in recovery.

If only one: absolutely, unequivocally, AFTER.

You can also eat a pre-workout snack, but that should be higher in carbohydrates (preferably from fruit).

I've even heard to drink something containing protein throughout the workout. Sips and such.

Beach Head said:
Whats the best way guys?

you should be getting protein every 3 hours or so.

However, it DEFINITELY is WAY MORE useful POST workout.

If you wanna be a stickler, you could even sip on a protein shake during your workout.

But post workout is by far most important

seems like everyone is in accord with the answers, and ill have to agree with them.

I like to use straight amino's before...either Animal Nitro G or I take about 6 grams in capsule form.

Save the shake for after.

You should drink your protein shake throughout the day, but I reccomend NOT to drink it atleast 40 minutes before working out, because it is very heavy, might bother your stomach or make you nausas or something (Happens to some people). But, most importantly your postworkout nutrition is vital. So right after you work out would be the best time to consume yours.

It's best to work out on an empty stomach, then whatever you use (shakes, pills, powders, etc) need to be put into your body no later than an hour after you finish. That's when your body is looking to replace what you've used and with nothing in your stomach to begin with, it will use the supplements you provide.

It seems like most people work out on a empty stomach, is this because you are trying to lose weight? I read somewhere that if you wanna lose weight workout on a empty stomach, but for gaining weight to workout with food in your system. Is this about right or no?

Your body requires more carbohydrates than protein post-workout. At most (for the protein), you should take 1:1. I've switched to 3:1.

Your body definitely needs carbs more than protein before and during a workout.

If you're going to sip during your workout, sip gatorade or accelerade. The former has an 8:1 ratio of carbohydrates to protein, the latter 4:1. This will easily cover your protein needs during a workout. They also have electrolytes, which a protein powder does not. Since you should also be drinking 7-10 ounces of fluid every 10-20 minutes you are lifting, you should dilute the solution to 1 part glucose-electrolyte drink (gatorade, accelerade, cytomax, etc.) and 2-3 parts water.

If you're trying to lose weight, cut out the carbs taken immediately preworkout and also during your workout. Your body will burn these in preference to your bodyfat.

Chad Hamilton said:
I like to use straight amino's before...either Animal Nitro G or I take about 6 grams in capsule form.

Save the shake for after.

do you eat any carbs before or during your workout? just curious? i'll usually have a shake consisting of one scoop of protein mixed in 16 oz. non-fat milk about thirty minutes before workout. and then another shake of about 35grams of protein and high sugar drink such as juice or gatorade of about 85grams of carbs immediately after working out.

MrMuayThai said:
It's best to work out on an empty stomach, then whatever you use (shakes, pills, powders, etc) need to be put into your body no later than an hour after you finish. That's when your body is looking to replace what you've used and with nothing in your stomach to begin with, it will use the supplements you provide.

i do it more so just becase it feels better to work out with out a full stomach. kinda weighs me down and makes me sluggish.

Thanx for all of the responses guys. I'm gonna try and have a shake before and after my workout but if I can't do both then I will always do it after. More answers are always welcomed.

I've always been under the impression that something before a workout isn't really necessary/effective, unless its like some whole wheat pasta 1.5 hrs before a workout for energy or something.

When I worked at GNC I'd read the back of a nitro tech jug and it said to take it 3 times a day. There was also 3 servings. The jug ran for like 69.99, now of course there are much cheaper alternatives to this whey that are just as good but I'm wondering.

What exactly does taking a protein shake before a workout do? Isn't your body hungry for protein after a big lifting session and is more likely to start protein synthesis with a shake then? Cause sometimes I feel people who insist on taking a shake before a workout was sort of a marketing gimmick so you'd need to buy more a lot sooner.

I've always connected this with some people who return whey saying it gives them an upset stomach and when my friends told me this, I'd tell them to eat a meal with some good carbs about 15 mins after taking the shake, and my friend did this and he was fine. A few customers who came back told me they didnt get upset stomachs either if they ate after the shake.

But anyways, lol damn when you just think and type you write a lot more than you think, sorry just thinking and typing, but doesn't anyone else here agree a shake can sorta give u an upset stomach before a workout, I mean say you're doing heavy squats and all the blood rushes from the stomach to the legs, won't u cramp up and feel like vomitting and etc?

Thanks for the info, i have a few questions though.

1. Whats with everyone eating cottage cheese before they go to bed?
2. Since MM is casien(sp?) protein and takes longer to digest is this best for before bed?
3. After my workout is it best to mix normal whey with mm so you get instant protein and longer lasting?
4. Are carbs important for post workout or is it mainly protein i want? Any specific ratio protein:carbs?

Im about to go pick some stuff up so all help is much appreciated.

Back