Should Protein shakes be taken after or before workout?

codysweet02 said:
Thanks for the info, i have a few questions though.

1. Whats with everyone eating cottage cheese before they go to bed?
2. Since MM is casien(sp?) protein and takes longer to digest is this best for before bed?
3. After my workout is it best to mix normal whey with mm so you get instant protein and longer lasting?
4. Are carbs important for post workout or is it mainly protein i want? Any specific ratio protein:carbs?

Im about to go pick some stuff up so all help is much appreciated.

1) Cottage cheese is a whole food primarily consisting of casein protein, and because it's unanimously agreed that whole food is superior to powders, many guys in here opt for fat-free cottage cheese before bed instead of a casein drink.

2) Yes, it would be, but it also has a lot of fat (MCT's); it's not your typical fat, since it's burned as energy, and may speed the metabolism, but since you won't be burning any energy when you sleep, it's really a terrible idea to drink MM before going to bed.

3) If you're taking MM, you're taking faith in MCT's, and studies have shown that ingesting MCT's with carbohydrates inhibits the desired effect of MCT's (mentioned above) because the carbohydrates are burned as fuel in preference to the MCT's, and the MCT's are treated- more or less- as conventional fat. Thus, the reason for low carbs in MM. It already has protein, you don't need to add any.

4) I already posted an answer to this. Read the thread, dude.

Thanks for the help mick. So since MM is high in MCTs i do not want to take too many carbs with it. Since my body needs more carbs than protein post workout, is it best to take a protein shake with lots of carbs instead of MM, or do the MCTs work in place of the carbs and i dont have to worry about my carb intake? If the MCTs do not work in place of the carbs and i still need the carbs i guess it is best to get something like ON 100% whey for post workout and cottage cheese before bed and skip the MM all together.

the best times are after you work out and before you go to bed

eat solid food also with high protien

i like drinks cran/grape juice with creatine and hit the life cycle for 15 minutes before i work out

drink alot of water while working out

Anyone know if i am right or wrong about the MCT's/carbs? If im drinking MM post workout do i not need to eat carbs because the MCTs are doing what the carbs would be doing?
Also does casien(sp?) protein break down fast enough for my body to absorb it in the hour window post workout or is it best to use whey protein post workout so my body can get the protein faster?
Also is there a thread(havnt found one) or a website explainig why my body needs carbs more than protein post workout? I was always under the impression i needed more carbs before a workout and more protein after. Thanks for the help.

I take mine post workout. For pre-workout, I eat fruit for the simple sugars they provide.

codysweet02 said:
Thanks for the help mick. So since MM is high in MCTs i do not want to take too many carbs with it. Since my body needs more carbs than protein post workout, is it best to take a protein shake with lots of carbs instead of MM, or do the MCTs work in place of the carbs and i dont have to worry about my carb intake? If the MCTs do not work in place of the carbs and i still need the carbs i guess it is best to get something like ON 100% whey for post workout and cottage cheese before bed and skip the MM all together.

Yeah, you get it, that's the theory: the MCT's work in place of the carbs (because instead of being stored as bodyfat like conventional fats, they are burned a la carbohyrates).

It's something you try. You can take the MM after you workout, but you'll have to take A LOT if you're not getting real food (like a breakfast bar is something I usually pack to take with my carb/protein shake, so I have to use less powder). This could get expensive with MM. Anyways, you can try it, and if it works for your goals- better than conventional shakes- then great.

If you don't want to try it, then stick to a carb/protein shake. Don't do both. It's MM or carb/protein shake, not a combination of the two.

Yeah, just buy some maltodextrin from DPS or Bulk and add it in the appropriate portions to your ON powder. Voila! A carb/protein drink.

Beach Head said:
Whats the best way guys?

Before I got into MMA, I was into bodybuilding for 8 years. So, the three most important times to have a protien shake (or any othe source of protien) are: first thing in the morning, after your workout and before bed.

How I take my protein:

Morning - 2g of Taurine, and Milk Protein Isolate+water

2 hours before workout: meal with lots of carbs, and some protein. i.e. pasta + 3 boiled eggs.
30 minutes before workout: 2g taurine powder with water.

After workout: 2g taurine, and Milk Protein Isolate+milk

Before bedtime: 2g Taurine, and Micellar protein+milk

Zeirhk...I was under the impression that taurine had to be taken on an empty stomach.

Do you understand otherwise?

Well.... I was thinking if I rest 1 hour and 30 minutes after I eat my before working out meal, THEN i take my taurine, hopefully it works lol.

Also after workout, do you think I should just have another dose of taurine again if I'm soon almost finished my workout, and then take my shake ?

Back