Should Myles Jury have been penalized for timidity?

AncientGeek

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
The unified rules of MMA list of fouls includes "Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent", and can result in a point deduction or DQ as with any other foul. This rule seems largely unenforced. Obviously we do not want to penalize good footwork or effective counter fighting, but at what point does this just become running away? If Myles Jury doesn't qualify as running away in the 3rd round what does? Should he have been penalized for timidity? If not, should the rule just be dropped?

He should have been DQ by the end of the 2nd round. That body kick he landed though was beyond powerful.

I sincerely think he would have done better if he swung more and I can't blame him for practically running after getting hit with that head kick

Ive seen guys running, and he wasnt running. Cerrone just got pissed that every body- kick he threw Myles tried to catch, so it fucked up his kicking game. Myles did land one hard body shot, or it sounded hard, but Cerrone walked thru it. His game of back and forth and throwing pitter patter shots was irritating. His whole game plan was to take Cerrone down. He got reversed and owned the first time and could get him down after than. I love the TD by Cerrone and the toss before he went "happy Gilmore" windups on that ass.

Jury wasn't that bad. I think Cerrone handled him so easily on the ground that it spooked him and threw him off his game for the rest of the night. I don't think Jury was planning to bang with Cowboy. He still occasionally skirted in to land a few soft punches and kicks before scooting back out of range.

If Kalib didn't get the DQ, or even a point taken, it's not possible.

It is amazing how quickly people were willing to forget his fight with Mike Ricci as soon as he beat two worn out journey men in Diego and Gomi. To the educated fan, this fight had no business taking place and knowing that Jury has looked horrible/boring when evenly matched, one had to assume that he was gonna get on his bike and start pedaling. He will be gone from the UFC, just like Ricci, over the next few years. It was INSANE that people were saying he was the next big thing/the future...he shouldn't even be top 20 LW in the UFC. You really have to be supremely gifted to have a boring fight with Cowboy.

Cowboy landed 1.5 significant strikes per minute more than Jury.

That's not 1.5x the strikes......that's one strike and a half

Christs sake no. He had nothing for Cerrone but I've seen far far worse performances when guys weren't engaging at all. He was going for very telegraphed take downs but he was going for them. He did engage but only in a way that assured he wasn't going to eat a stiff shot. Absurd thread.

No way. It wasn't close to that bad. Jury wasn't trying to avoid a fight until that kick slapped him on the chin in mid round 3.

It is amazing how quickly people were willing to forget his fight with Mike Ricci as soon as he beat two worn out journey men in Diego and Gomi. To the educated fan, this fight had no business taking place and knowing that Jury has looked horrible/boring when evenly matched, one had to assume that he was gonna get on his bike and start pedaling. He will be gone from the UFC, just like Ricci, over the next few years. It was INSANE that people were saying he was the next big thing/the future...he shouldn't even be top 20 LW in the UFC. You really have to be supremely gifted to have a boring fight with Cowboy.

Its not that serious. This fight was test for Jury that he did not pass. Im sure hes gonna learn alot from it. He was on a win streak everybody was excited for this fight to happenand it turned out to be a dud

He wasnt that bad at all.

He was losing, but he was there looking for offence.

Just because Cowboy beat him to the punch doesnt mean he was running....god what an awful failed incite into a fight...

Another idiotic thread, Jury was nowhere ready for top completion, what is he 17? After he got kicked upside the head he tried not to get finished. He tried getting a few td's, people are ragging too much on the kid.

Cowboy couldn't really get off because Jury wouldn't engage. But that wasn't to the level of timidity. Running is timidity IMO. Hell, I would have given Lyoto, Henderson, Rashad, and Lil Nog point deductions for their fights before Jury. I think he simply didn't know how to attack Cowboy. He was getting beat everywhere he tried and fighting off the multiple subs while getting his back taken and put in a body lock in the first round probably rattled him. He is young. It was a very tentative performance but not a point-deduction worthy one IMO

Cowboy landed 1.5 significant strikes per minute more than Jury.

That's not 1.5x the strikes......that's one strike and a half

That's quite an accomplishment considering Jury ran five miles in those three rounds. Looked like a remake of the movie Westworld.

Another idiotic thread, Jury was nowhere ready for top completion, what is he 17? After he got kicked upside the head he tried not to get finished. He tried getting a few td's, people are ragging too much on the kid.

He's 26 not 17 and he accepted a co-main event to the biggest card of the year. He had an obligation to fight when he took "peoples" money.

He fought scared, he finally realised he wasn't as good as he thought he was.

Back