Should Melvin go back to his old style?

BooHD

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I feel like Melvin needs to go back to his old explosive style. Ever since the Lauzon fight he has been fighting more passive and hasn't been as explosive on his feet. I know that his old reckless style can land him in more submissions quickly and takedowns, but he has the speed and power to prevent it. He needs to go back to his old ways in trying to finish the fight in the first round instead of trying to pick his shots, IMO

I agree. Id also like to see him back at Jacksons. He was 4-1 there. He is 2-4 at the Blackzians. Winklejohn was clearly the best trainer for him.

Old style? New style? It all looks the same to me. He's obviously ran into trouble with the upper echelon of the LW division. He's probably a 12-20 ranked LW in the UFC and that's where he'll stay.

I feel like Melvin needs to go back to his old explosive style. Ever since the Lauzon fight he has been fighting more passive and hasn't been as explosive on his feet. I know that his old reckless style can land him in more submissions quickly and takedowns, but he has the speed and power to prevent it. He needs to go back to his old ways in trying to finish the fight in the first round instead of trying to pick his shots, IMO

Yep he needs to go back to his old style of aggressive striker and focus on his ground game or TDD

If Melvin had good bjj he would honestly be so hard to beat. All his opponents know of his poor grappling and so does Melvin and this messes up his striking. Jackson's was way better for him.

lol, there isn't a new Melvin or anything, he's just been matched up repeatedly with guys that can blow his chin off his face if he gets reckless, and Melvin historically fights more hesitant against them.

He'll be back to his "old" self as soon as they throw him a gimme-fight.

Melvin needs to continue to become a complete fighter(needs to mix in more takedowns in his striking and needs to throw better combos for one). His situation in the UFC is frustrating as hell to watch. This is a man who should be in the top 5 of the division. The ability is there but he has a poor concept of strategy.

Old style? New style? It all looks the same to me. He's obviously ran into trouble with the upper echelon of the LW division. He's probably a 12-20 ranked LW in the UFC and that's where he'll stay.

pretty much. he threw tons of ill-advised flying knees and got choked out vs miller, and he had an absolute stinker of a fight against stephens. was he tentative against cerrone?

basically there have been times when he's been boring before lauzon, and times when he's been wacky crazy melvin afterwards. hell, stephens was easily his most conservative fight that I can remember.

pretty much. he threw tons of ill-advised flying knees and got choked out vs miller, and he had an absolute stinker of a fight against stephens. was he tentative against cerrone?

basically there have been times when he's been boring before lauzon, and times when he's been wacky crazy melvin afterwards. hell, stephens was easily his most conservative fight that I can remember.

The "new" Guillard style was developed while fighting Tibau and Torres...he eeked by them and he used that similar "conservative" style against Stephens, Camoes and Varner...more measured than anything. The bottom line is he isn't an elite LW and will never defeat the multiple fighters he'd need to in order to get a title shot. The move to Blackzillians probably wasn't the best move for him either but only he really knows how its been worse or better or neither mentally/emotionally/professionally etc.

Melvin, if you/re listening out there, take this advice and get your ass back to Metairie and train with Joe Ancona, your first real striking coach. Your stand-up was better back in 2004/2005 when you were forced to fight pro boxers and knew how to place power behind your punches.

He should never have left Jacksons and went to the Blackzilians camp of all places. What a horrendous move

One thing we've learned in the UFC. It's good to take your opponent down when he doesn't expect. Melvin has to worry about takedowns, subs, and getting KO'd. Melvins opponents have to worry about his punches an some kicks(he's a power kicker but doesn't throw in the volume to break someone down with kicks imho). Just drop your opponent on his ass once early in the fight, take the round from him and it's going to force him to react to you. The more your opponent is thinking about your actions and how he will react to them the better it is for you.

Also, Melvin has been in alot of fights his chin isn't what it use to be I think. He seems too afraid of the KO now a days and that's effecting his effectiveness.

He should never have left Jacksons and went to the Blackzilians camp of all places. What a horrendous move

Yeah I agree totally. Aside from a really stupid name, the camp is obviously pretty sad based on the records of their fighters

I agree. Id also like to see him back at Jacksons. He was 4-1 there. He is 2-4 at the Blackzians. Winklejohn was clearly the best trainer for him.

People need to stop repeating this shit, he fought easy stylistic matchups while he was at Jackson's and now he isn't getting those anymore.

Talks trash and gets beaten, often in embarrassing fashion...yep, that sounds like the old Melvin to me.

pretty much.
his most impressive performance imo was his body shot Ko over waylon lowe

Yes I think so. Better to lose in an exciting quick fight than a boring decision. He could actually have a better chance of winning when he just goes all out too.

Back