Should Melvin go back to his old style?

he is not strong mentally, thats why he has the lulls in fights, the guy has unreal potential, just cant fill it with his mind./

People need to stop repeating this shit, he fought easy stylistic matchups while he was at Jackson's and now he isn't getting those anymore.

Yeah easy match ups for him like Evan Dunham, Shane Roller, Torres, and Lowe. We all know how well he handles good grapplers with slick submissions.

I'd say back to Greg or start over at Tristar. I actually think Tristar would be perfect for him. I like Melvin but for me he is like that sports team you love even though you I is they will never have a championship. Win or lose I would have enjoyed seeing him fight for a title. But back to topic.. Yes back to Greg or maybe to firas

I feel like Melvin needs to go back to his old explosive style. Ever since the Lauzon fight he has been fighting more passive and hasn't been as explosive on his feet.

what about when he fought jeremy stephens?

I'll always be a Melvin fan, but a change in camp like everyone is saying may be in order. As he is only 2-4 since training with the Blackzillions, it's apparent what he needs to do. I miss those body shot TKO's Melvin is so good at.

Id really like to see him work on his scrambles, TDD, and sub defence. That would give him something solid to work with when he isnt so afraid of being taken down. Relying on speed and KO power alone is foolish and once he hits a certain age he will get wrecked. Technique should be the goal for every fighter

30-27 for Melvin was among the most ridiculous scorings in 2012.

His lack of a game-plan for his last 4 fights have been sooooo evident.

He's been going in there and hasn't been able to establish ANY rhythm or pace himself. Even more evident was in his win against Fabricio. Totally fought to Fabricio's level and his fight, but was still athletic enough to eek out a win. Fabricio is the type of guy that Melvin should have made look like he did in his fight with Wayne Lowe.

Rather he fights to his oppenents beat. Something that he didn't do in his 5 fight win streak not so long ago.

He has all the tools athletically. But its very clear that he is the type of guy that needs a lot of guidance on how to put all those athletic tools to work and formulate a game plan. Because quite frankly he can't himself and neither can Sperry!

He needs to go back to Jackson's NOW!

And to O.P. It's not that he's being less aggressive or any of that. It's that he doesn't know what he's going to do beforehand and he worries more about what his opponent is doing rather than focusing on the things he needs to do.

Last edited:
Melvin is the same through his UFC career . When he fights mid level fighters he looks unbeatable but when he fights the higher level competition he loses . It happens every time . He is fun to watch but will never win at the top level .

He's been going in there and hasn't been able to establish ANY rhythm or pace himself. Even more evident was in his win against Fabricio. Totally fought to Fabricio's level and his fight, but was still athletic enough to eek out a win. Fabricio is the type of guy that Melvin should have made look like he did in his fight with Wayne Lowe.

Rather he fights to his oppenents beat. Something that he didn't do in his 5 fight win streak not so long ago.

He has all the tools athletically. But its very clear that he is the type of guy that needs a lot of guidance on how to put all those athletic tools to work and formulate a game plan. Because quite frankly he can't himself and neither can Sperry!

And to O.P. It's not that he's being less aggressive or any of that. It's that he doesn't know what he's going to do beforehand and he worries more about what his opponent is doing rather than focusing on the things he needs to do.

This is pretty accurate..it's not the whole story but I think it's the main part

Yeah easy match ups for him like Evan Dunham, Shane Roller, Torres, and Lowe. We all know how well he handles good grapplers with slick submissions.

If you can't see that those are far easier stylistic matchups than the guys he's been facing since then, you can't be helped.

I thought his gameplan looked pretty solid against Varner, he did a lot better than I was expecting. He got out of range well and landed leg kicks when Varner was trying to come forward and throw combinations. The fact is the guys he fought while he was at Jackson's were easier matchups, that's the only reason he won those and has been losing since. Guillard's a perfect example of how hard it is to change someone who started fighting too early and often while he was young and getting away with mistakes. He'll never change or evolve at this point.

I thought his gameplan looked pretty solid against Varner, he did a lot better than I was expecting. He got out of range well and landed leg kicks when Varner was trying to come forward and throw combinations. The fact is the guys he fought while he was at Jackson's were easier matchups, that's the only reason he won those and has been losing since. Guillard's a perfect example of how hard it is to change someone who started fighting too early and often while he was young and getting away with mistakes. He'll never change or evolve at this point.

He let Varner back him up the entire time in the stand-up though. And to add to what you said about him making mistakes, not only was he backing up in that fight, but he was winging shots with his hands down by his waist. (Yes he does this a lot in his fight) Because he's so athletically gifted with speed.

On top of Varner being successful backing him up, look at were Jamie's hands were. Right up by his chin in the traditional boxing stance. Varner was backing Melvin up with his defense tight(aka hands up), absorbing the lead leg kick Melvin was throwing and waiting for Melvin to a wing a single ko punch and then Jamie would immediately counter with a not one punch , but combinations. A lead right hand was Jamie's main strategy for that kick Melvin was throwing to his lead leg.

Anytime Melvin did try to move foward, Jamie would shoot. I honestly believe Melvin is the better wrestler and every time Jamie moved foward he should throw that lead leg kick but then follow up with a shot or just the shot, so the hand combinations Jamie was throwing wouldn't have been so well timed.

Melvin needs trainers with a high fight I.Q. and people willing to give him attention because it's one department that seems to be completely lacking with his new team. Although only Melvin could say for sure.

Last edited:
To be fair the guy was never really all that good. Given all they physical gifts the guy has he just can't put it all together. He never will.

He let Varner back him up the entire time in the stand-up though. And to add to what you said about him making mistakes, not only was he backing up in that fight, but he was winging shots with his hands down by his waist. (Yes he does this a lot in his fight) Because he's so athletically gifted with speed.

On top of Varner being successful backing him up, look at were Jamie's hands were. Right up by his chin in the traditional boxing stance. Varner was backing Melvin up with his defense tight(aka hands up), absorbing the lead leg kick Melvin was throwing and waiting for Melvin to a wing a single ko punch and then Jamie would immediately counter with a not one punch , but combinations. A lead right hand was Jamie's main strategy for that kick Melvin was throwing to his lead leg.

Anytime Melvin did try to move foward, Jamie would shoot. I honestly believe Melvin is the better wrestler and every time Jamie moved foward he should throw that lead leg kick but then follow up with a shot or just the shot, so the hand combinations Jamie was throwing wouldn't have been so well timed.

Melvin needs trainers with a high fight I.Q. and people willing to give him attention because it's one department that seems to be completely lacking with his new team. Although only Melvin could say for sure.

I really think you're criticizing Guillard as a fighter more than you are his recent gameplans. He's been using his wrestling almost exclusively for TDD for years now, he rarely uses it offensively when up against someone like Varner. It's the same thing with his boxing fundamentals. You can't expect him to base a gameplan around skills he doesn't possess.

I don't remember the Torres and Stephens fights perfectly, but I thought he foughtt similarly in those to the way he did against Varner. The difference is that Varner is a legit LW, fought smart and capitalized on Guillard's mistakes. I just don't think Guillard has much of a middle ground offensively on the feet. He's either reckless and goes for the KO winging shots with his hands down or he backs up too much and the fight often ends in a close decision.

I really think you're criticizing Guillard as a fighter more than you are his recent gameplans. He's been using his wrestling almost exclusively for TDD for years now, he rarely uses it offensively when up against someone like Varner. It's the same thing with his boxing fundamentals. You can't expect him to base a gameplan around skills he doesn't possess.

I don't remember the Torres and Stephens fights perfectly, but I thought he foughtt similarly in those to the way he did against Varner. The difference is that Varner is a legit LW, fought smart and capitalized on Guillard's mistakes. I just don't think Guillard has much of a middle ground offensively on the feet. He's either reckless and goes for the KO winging shots with his hands down or he backs up too much and the fight often ends in a close decision.

Maybe.

But I don't know how you explain the lackluster win over Fabricio?
In that fight he wrestled a BJJ guy. I truly believe ever since he's left Jackson's MMA he's been at a lost in the strategy department, and what you're seeing is a Melvin that fights to his opponents potential and not his. Now does this mean he'll suddenly turn into a world champ by going back to Jacksons MMA? No. But I do believe he'd be fairing a lot better in his matches than he is now.

If Melvin can't win using his superior athleticism then he is screwed. His skills aren't up to par.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back