• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should Jiri make us reconsider writing off minor orgs?

ferrisjso

"Melodramatic" Historian
@Gold
Reaction score
While Bellator competition is taken seriously it's generally assumed feats in other promotions don't matter as these promotions are inferior to the UFC(larger weight classes). While Bellator feats are taken seriously(partly cause they signed a lot of proven UFC talent) like Pride/Strikeforce/Rings/Pancrase used to be even Bellator fighters have tended to perform worse in the UFC with Askren being the most recent example. Generally dominant fighters in a minor promotion will do worse in the UFC once they start fighting better competition. Branch is a good example from WSOF. Jan was a KSW champ but he was a UFC gatekeeper for years while some post Strikeforce most UFC stars are picked up by the UFC pretty early on even if they might have briefly fought for other orgs.

Before signing with the UFC Jiri seemed on paper like he was the embodiment of beating up on weaker competition he was the best fighter without a wikipedia page. While I saw videos of a few of his KO's and he looked impressive that can be deceiving against weak competition as we learned from Johnny Walker. His most prominent opponent was King Mo who he'd both beaten and lost to and King Mo wasn't that great. In the 2 Rizin GP's Jiri fought in his final opponent was Fabio Maldanao who couldn't cut it in the UFC and his opponent in the first doesn't have a wikipedia page. Five of Jiris Rizin opponents didn't have a wikipedia page.

But Jiri's looked just as good in the UFC had the same result against 2 of the best UFC fighters in his division Volkan and Reyes. Also one of Jiri's Rizin opponents has also won the Bellator belt beating both Bader and Davis. So the question remains are we underrating fighters outside of the major promotions? Should we be talking more about guys like Sordi in PFL who beats fighters we've either never heard or whom were UFC washouts. Some guys like the bigger ONE champs have proven beforehand they have the same success at the major promotions(N Sang couldn't cut it at KOTC) talking about the dominant fighters who haven't fought in the major promotions. Should the UFC sign more of these fighters?

It has always been about the fighter, never the orgs.

The UFC has had the lions share of premier talent since the PrideFC and Strikeforce mergers, nothing has changed in that regard.

but smaller orgs can certainly have fighters with exceptional ability who are waiting for the chance to prove it on the grand stage.

Jiri intentionally delayed going to the “big league” to refine his skills. Seems like it was a wise choice, though he may have kept some defensive liabilities that his opponents didn’t expose. We will see if he can continue to get away with his seemingly high risk “the best defense is more offense” approach.

Well there should be a question Mark next to anyone’s name that is coming from Jiri’s background for the reasons you listed. They still have to prove themselves when they get to the UFC. But it’s a question Mark because it could go either way. He could be a Walker or he could be a Jiri.

I don’t write them off. But consider this..

Megan Anderson was an Invicta champion.

To be the best, you have to beat the best. And the best are generally in the UFC.

Every minor org has some stars. It's not like the UFC develops it's own talent from the start.

Fighters have to start somewhere and sometimes they get paid more to stay a few more years in those "minor" orgs rather than joining the UFC too early.

I didn’t read the essay you wrote.

If you can prove that you’re a champion and nearly undefeated in a minor league, you’re generally T10 if not greater in the UFC. Eddie, Chandler, Rockhold, DC, Gaethje etc. Of course there are odd examples like Brooks who did well in bellator but not in the UFC

With that said I’d be excited to see guys like Lima and Nemkov in the UFC

The thing with these minor organizations is that they're trying to fight the UFC playing the UFC's game (i.e. just putting on the best fights they can). It is like a new football league trying to beat the NFL by putting on football games. You can't win that way (can't put on good fights, without depth). What they need is eyeballs, which will attract good fighters. The UFC does not need these jabronis like Doug Lima or Patricky Pitbull... all they can do is claim they are the best minor leaguer in the world.

I like MMA, but I never watch Bellator, I don't see OneFC, I don't see Rizin, Cage Warriors, etc. Because I don't watch minor league sports. BUT... if these organizations did things to attract eyeballs (e.g. cross promote), that would bring eyeballs and that would bring better fighters.

What? No one assumed that Jiri was just beating up on weaker guys. He was unanimously viewed as a top prospect in the division for a few years before he came to the UFC.

Everyone comes from a minor org, it's the names that ultimately matter and performances against them, and Jiri had some good names on his resume.

Most fighters sign with the UFC early and work their way up the ranks. Some stay in smaller promotions longer and make a name for themselves there, which leads to them being immediate contenders when they sign to the UFC. Jiri, Chandler and Gaethje are examples of that. There's nothing wrong with either approach.

Watching secondary and tertiary orgs opens yer eyes a bit. Plus it's interesting to see promotional movement and exchanges.

While I favor and luv the UFC - it's a big world.

Every UFC champ has come from smaller orgs.

Well there should be a question Mark next to anyone’s name that is coming from Jiri’s background for the reasons you listed. They still have to prove themselves when they get to the UFC. But it’s a question Mark because it could go either way. He could be a Walker or he could be a Jiri.

you can see for yourself. He has 30 fights you can watch and evaluate what you see.

many great fighters all over the world in various orgs and it’s always been this way.
Jiri being a good fighter has t been a mystery for several years.

it would be like if boxing had such a promotional dominance they actually made the fans believe who is good at boxing because of the banner they fight under.

it’s weird as hell.

Back