• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Opinion Should It Be Illegal to Evict People

The alternative is to pop the housing bubble.

You can build a simple single family dwelling for under $20K. Relax regulations and let people do that.

Even if this was possible, and it isn't, it would be a disaster for the environment. People in houses consume an enormous amount of resources. Houses are incredibly expensive to maintain, even if you get them free.

You realize that's how people did it all throughout human history until like the last century right?

Us Population

1800: 5.3 million
1920: 106 million
2020: 331 million

You arent getting an electrician to wire a house for 20k, let alone an actual house.

A single room dwelling? I bet you could. All costs associated with building a home are driven by over regulation. Cut the red tape.

The solution to all these problems is always the same: de-regulate.

Even if this was possible, and it isn't, it would be a disaster for the environment. People in houses consume an enormous amount of resources. Houses are incredibly expensive to maintain, even if you get them free.

Us Population

1800: 5.3 million
1920: 106 million
2020: 331 million

I'm not talking about McMansions here.

Fishhook-Cabin-05.jpg

That's a house.

Lol. De regulate the electrical codes. Now I know you are a fucking retard.

Sure, hire the local crackhead to wire your place up. Dont bother woth smoke alarms,, those are expensive.

Fuck it, throw him an extra 50 bucks to not hook up a power meter, free electricity for everyone.

Who needs professionals.

Then keep them under bridges. Idgaf I'm not homeless.

Reactions: THC
You sure do like to claim getting rid of electrical regulations is a good idea though.

So which electrical regulations should we get rid of, specifically? Use the NEC codes so we are talking about the same stuff.

Well here in Canada, you can't build an off the grid dwelling. You have to be tied into the electric grid.

That's a regulation I'd get rid of for sure.

If it puts you out of work, all the better. You seem like a bit of a cunt tbh.

I'm not talking about McMansions here.

Fishhook-Cabin-05.jpg

That's a house.

I'm not saying you don't have some truth on your side, but I don't think this way. How much land does each of these dwellings need? How much support? It's a LOT of support.

Well here in Canada, you can't build an off the grid dwelling. You have to be tied into the electric grid.

That's a regulation I'd get rid of for sure.

If it puts you out of work, all the better. You seem like a bit of a cunt tbh.

I work at a factory. I'm just not a fucking idiot. I have no respect for people who think thry know better than an expert.

Newsflash, electricity is dangerous. People shouldn't be fucking around with it who don't know what they are doing.

Other trades are like that too. Know what size floor joists you need for any particular house? I sure as fuck dont, you would need a framer. What depth the footer on your foundation needs to be? Same thing.

Construction isn't a game to play with your 5 year old. It's a job for professionals, and a hard one. If you fuck up wiring to an outlet and bond the neutral to the box instead of to the nuetral bar back at the panel, you very well could kill yourself or someone else. People die from this kind of thing. People lose their home. Alot.

The alternative is to pop the housing bubble.

You can build a simple single family dwelling for under $20K. Relax regulations and let people do that.

Wow.

You're literally going to be lucky to get into a weather proofed baby barn with heat, lights, and a toilet for $20,000. That's not including land, septic, and water (another $30,000 minimum).

You realize that's how people did it all throughout human history until like the last century right?

Not true. A large percentage of people have been renting (and being evicted) throughout history. None of this is new.

yes i’m all in favor of doing away with the concept of private property , worldwide.

Holy dipshit alert. What does off gird housing have to do with electricians?

Every off grid house i have heard of uses solar power. You need electricians for that. And more expertise than a normal house.

unless you are proposing not having electricity at all in homes for the poor? Or running water?

Back