• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should I imprison my sister until she's off meth?

Food, water, directions to the nearest shelter. Nothing else.

Meth is a hard one. Even after addicts seek treatment, the rate of relapse is something like 88%.

If you can't lock her up, try to convince her to go see an outpatient group to prep her for an eventual trip to detox.

After some clean time she needs to get out of the lifestyle; away from the people/places/things and patterns of thought that act as the catalyst for her self-sabotage.

At the same time she needs to re-hardwire her behavior with new, positive routines that in some way gives her that sweet sweet dopamine glow that meth provides.

Wish you and her luck man.

Keep Well.

Sad to say, but chances are you won't be able to help her anytime soon. Like others posted in this thread, she'll need to do this on her own. You'll only be able to help her once she comes to terms with her addiction and tries to quit.

You should prob tell her you're there for her when she's ready and cut her off until then.

yes. my sister is a heroin addict. she'd have been way better off in jail than having my parents pay for rehabs and givin her crash pads while on drugs

As someone who has dealt with a sibling who was an addict, you literally have no control over them. Don’t give them money, maybe give them a place to stay if they haven’t begun thieving yet, but she has to hit bottom before she will be ready. When that is is different for everyone and sometimes ends in tragedy but you have to resign to the fact you can’t control anything in this situation.

Thanks guys. I think deep down I knew it wouldn't work, but sometimes I feel so helpless that I'll start getting crazy ideas just so I'm doing something rather than just sitting by and watching her kill herself.

She's been like this for years. Been in and out of jail. Been homeless. Yet still denies that she uses drugs at all.

Instead I would look at medical detox and possibly suicide watch at a hospital. You can call in the hospital and claim that she is delusional and threatening her own life with suicide and that you think she's a danger to herself and society. They will usually take them into a 72 hour hold at the hospital. From there, doctors can put them through a detox. The thing about that is she might become violent and catch a charge attacking the arresting officers.

Are you willing to front the cost of her getting help?

Yeah she's actually been through the 72 hour hold twice before, fuckers let her go back on the streets after a couple days both times. I don't know if she convinces them she's not an addict or maybe they've just got more dangerous people to worry about, but she's back on the streets.

And yes I'd pay for her rehab if she wanted to go.

Sometimes you this in movies, where someone who loves the addict locks them in a room against their will for a few days until the withdrawals end. Then the addict comes to their senses and wants to stay clean.

I'm not dumb enough to think things are going to work like they do in the movies, but I'm at my wit's end and simply don't know how else to help her.

You can't reason with her when she's high and she seems to be high 100 percent of the time... Either that or she has drug induced psychosis and just acts crazy even when sober.

Anyhoo. Have any of you tried imprisoning an addict just for a few days?
You will get arrested and charged with all types of shit. Rehab, or get her locked up, that is call the cops when shes smoking and dont bail her out.

As a professional who has dealt with methamphetamine addicts, I suggest posting pics.

Tough situation. I guess the best thing is being available to her when she is ready to change. A close friend of mine is going through similar hard times. I don't know what to do either.

No. Odds are she will go straight back to it when you let her out. She has to want to get off of it. I'm sure some people have been forced off of it and didn't go back to it but it won't work for the majority of addicts out there. She needs to want to get clean.

Gonna have to hit whatever her low point is to even start getting clean. Can't do it for them.

If you do, prepare to fight a pack of these off.
trainspotting_baby-1024x564.jpg

Gonna have to hit whatever her low point is to even start getting clean. Can't do it for them.

This.

@Fedorgasm, there's nothing you can do.

Meth addicts are a whole different kind of crazy & obsessed.

She has to come to the realization that she needs help, you can't do it for her, but if you haven't made it clear you'd pay for her Rehab, do so. But it's going to be expensive, depending what part of the country you live in.

-Could say something dramatic to your sister to get the point across, like 'I have $7,000 saved up, and its either going toward your rehab, or your funeral.'

True story...... About 15 years ago I had a really good friend ( a guy) who was sucking dick for crack and cocaine. His ex-girlfriend asked for my help to go get him from this dudes house he was staying at. Turned out he was living in some gay guys mothers basement. This old lady kept threatening to call the police on us until she opened her sons bedroom door in the basement and found our buddy passed out on the bed in his underwear. I took my buddy back to my apartment and tried my best to sober him up, but I lived in a bad area and he actually ended up slinging crack outside of my apartment when I was at work or school. I kicked him out and he went back to sucking dick most likely.

Cliffs
-Tried to help crack addict buddy who sucked dick
-I actually moved him into prime location to become dealer
-Kicked him out, went back to sucking dick

If you love her more than the consequences the answer is yes. Many people are cowards and wouldnt sacrifice for their loved ones.

I would do this for my kids and to hell with the trouble i would face

It’s one of those drugs that you really have to be in bad shape mentally to even think to try it. You know it’s not a casual recreational drug. You take that first step knowing your life will be fucked. So there is always an underlying issue that needs to be addressed besides the physical addiction.

Sorry about your sister and the situation she is in with addiction. I was just talking with someone the other day that is hooked. She was telling me her friend spent 3 years in jail for drug use. She said she hated her time away from her kids and husband and would never do drugs again once out of jail. Sadly as soon as she was out of jail she began taking drugs again. When she did a urine test for her parol officer she was found out and is now back in jail.

The only alternative addiction idea I'm familiar with was developed by Dr. Meg Patterson. She is famous for helping many UK musicians overcome addiction. She worked with Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones, Boy George, Pete Townshend of the Who, etc. You might google her.

Reportedly her method had patients not experiencing withdrawal symptoms along with reducing the desire to continue doing drugs. For what ever reason Dr. Patterson's ideas never took hold, despite the press she received.

Back