Should I get a red or blue gi???

Red just looks weird unless you have a black belt and your name is Fedor

Keep in mind Fedor wears red because red and blue are the official colors in Sambo. A red jacket (Kurtka) is normal in Sambo. Every Sambist needs to have the 2 colors as in competition there can't be two fighters wearing the same color. So one always wears blue and the other red. Makes it easier for the judges to score too.

I can totally understand regulations for tournaments although personally I think all they need is for the two guys to not wear the same color

I currently have 2 gis and want to purchase a 3rd. I have an Atama Blue gi that is super heavy weight and I'm not a huge fan of. I recently bought a black Vulcan Pro light that I LOVE. I'm going to pick up another one of these so I can cycle them thru so they have time to dry etc. Thinking of getting another blue gi but was also looking at the red. I'm afraid the red might be a little too much though. It may force my training partners to want to go harder with me. If that's the case it's a good thing because it will help me improve. HAHA

What are your thoughts? I know it's all personal preference but I just don't want to be "that" guy...

Pete

I concur with everyone else. You'll be "that guy" with a red gi. On a fashion note, red gis only go with white belts or black belts. So you'd be limiting yourself there too

Sadly I would say go with the blue...the red can be disallowed at several competitions since it isn't traditional. If that doesn't matter damn right I'd go red.

Back