Should I focus on gi or no gi competition?

tudor_bjj

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm a blue belt. I train only no gi. At the seminar where I received my blue I played a gi game that amazed me: collar chokes, spider g., control etc. (don't want to sound cocky). I'll be at a competition both gi and no gi. My gi w. class is: 76 (167 lb) - 86 (189 lb) kg (blue belt), my no gi is: + 76 (167 lb) kg (one div. - meaning beg, int and adv. together). I'm 83 kg (183 lbs.) . Witch do you think I should focus on? Gi or no gi? Thanks!

If you train no gi shouldn't you be concentrating on the no gi?

tudor_bjj said:
I'm a blue belt. I train only no gi. At the seminar where I received my blue I played a gi game that amazed me: collar chokes, spider g., control etc. (don't want to sound cocky). I'll be at a competition both gi and no gi. My gi w. class is: 76 (167 lb) - 86 (189 lb) kg (blue belt), my no gi is: + 76 (167 lb) kg (one div. - meaning beg, int and adv. together). I'm 83 kg (183 lbs.) . Witch do you think I should focus on? Gi or no gi? Thanks!

Where is this competition being held?

I say do both, you will be the better for it

Whatever you do, don't say anything derogatory about Radiola's arm.

Waxwingslain said:
If you train no gi shouldn't you be concentrating on the no gi?
Yeah, but the problem is that in no gi, I can face a 95 kg brown belt or even worst...

Superbeast said:
Whatever you do, don't say anything derogatory about Radiola's arm.
Is he some kind of JJ Machado?

I do both. Do whichever you prefer - a more technical, slower style with the gi, or a more fast-paced, less technical stye without the gi.

tudor_bjj said:
Yeah, but the problem is that in no gi, I can face a 95 kg brown belt or even worst...
So? The worst that can happen is you lose. A learning experience.

Tudor, I just sent you an email on your yahoo

do you have to weigh in wearing the gi? just curious.

tudor_bjj said:

Good luck if you try that!

I've never had to weigh in in a gi for a gi competition btw.

Commissar said:
So? The worst that can happen is you lose. A learning experience.

The worst thing would probably be death or some horrible injury

Fight_Song said:
do you have to weigh in wearing the gi? just curious.
No. I tried, but they made me take the gi off.

Both cbjj and cbjj-o have weigh ins with the GI. They also always use it in sweden

Happy Camper said:
The worst thing would probably be death or some horrible injury
Yeah, I don't want a mofo to crack my elbow or my knee...

Back