should i continue to use ab wheel?

R

Respekt

I just started using the ab wheel and can do a few on my knees without too much problem. however, after maybe 4 or 5 i feel a lot of tension on my lower back. I read somewehre that this happens if your core isn't strong enough to stabilize it.

so my question is, should I continue to do it and go through the tension of my lower back or build up my core before I continue to do the ab wheel?

thanks for any input.

I recently started using an ab wheel. Thing kicks your ass don't it? When my back starts getting involved I just go down far enough to feel the pressure in my back and roll back up. You donlt want too much strain when just starting out.
Posted via Mobile Device

I just started using the ab wheel and can do a few on my knees without too much problem. however, after maybe 4 or 5 i feel a lot of tension on my lower back. I read somewehre that this happens if your core isn't strong enough to stabilize it.

so my question is, should I continue to do it and go through the tension of my lower back or build up my core before I continue to do the ab wheel?

thanks for any input.

I

Keep doing it but remember to do back extensions too. The stronger your lower back becomes the easier doing ab-wheel rollouts will be.

kettle bell swings would be good to balance it out. but hey if you can only do that many don't push it, push your abs with less troublesome exercises until you can do 10 or so. If you don't have them an exercise that might help you that people on here suggested for me is sumo deadlift high pulls.

Simpler than all of that do burpees for speed as in focus on pulling your legs in kicking them out. That would be a good intermittent exercise.

Last edited:
thanks for the response/advices!

i realized that if I tighten up my core while i do it, it releases alot of the tension from my lower back as well as making me feel the burn more.

again thanks for the help!

As stated by the other a stronger lower back is an essential part of a strong core. I have experienced that tension in the lower back doing wheel roll outs. I found good mornings, hyper extensions, ans stiff leg dead lifts, oh and v-ups all helped my core strength. It led to making wheel roll outs much easier for me and I had very little tension and the only tension I did get was at very full extension which I couldn't even reach before.

If your lower back hyperextends it means you are to weak yet.

More plank like things first.

Another way of looking at it is never let your butt sag toward the floor during the extension, That will keep the pressure off your back.

what used to help me was to look down at my knees. that kept my lumbar straight and kept tension on my abdominals.

all of the above are great suggestions. Have you tried using an olympic bar with weights on the sides and rolling that instead? With a wider grip, it will help your posture as well as shifting some of the stress towards your shoulders instead of your lower back.

Keep doing them. Do more core exercises and lower back as well. Just keep your back straight when you do the ab wheel and contract your abs/core. I started that way and now do them from standing up. Just keep at it.

Sounds like a technique check could help ...

You want to keep your pelvis tilted back (aka push your doinker forwards) and keep those abs tight as you roll out. It's the opposite pelvic feeling from a squat. And with the abs, you don't want to suck them and, and you don't want to push them way out, just keep them tight. Work on sticking with that and you ought to be in business.

I got sciatica about 5 years ago, and using the ab wheel might have had something to do with it. Certainly when I was recovering, doing the ab wheel put me right back.

Never used them since. If you have to do ab exercises, I figure that the plank, bicycle exercise and captain's chair are sufficient. But I also totally buy that doing big compound lifts exercises your abdominal muscles more than enough, and that you don't need to add to them.

all of the above are great suggestions. Have you tried using an olympic bar with weights on the sides and rolling that instead? With a wider grip, it will help your posture as well as shifting some of the stress towards your shoulders instead of your lower back.

Love this suggestion.

I am a bigger guy and have been having some issues with the AB wheel, but tried this variation at the gym this morning and it was excellent.

Thanks!

Love this suggestion.

I am a bigger guy and have been having some issues with the AB wheel, but tried this variation at the gym this morning and it was excellent.

Thanks!

I agree this variation has been more favourable with alot of people versus an ab wheel.

I wouldnt do it now if i were you.
Its a great exercise, but also easy for injury if you are to weak for it.

Continue lighter plank like things and also just get stronger. After that give it another try.

Back