Should I check out Boardwalk Empire?

GearSolidMetal

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
With three of my favorite shows ending their runs this year.... Spartacus, Breaking Bad, and Dexter (mercifully)... I'm looking for a new series to get into, and I'm hoping its Boardwalk Empire but I'm not sure its my taste.

First, although I like the style of gangster movies, I can't say enough how boring The Godfather trilogy was for me and I tried to get into The Sopranos by watching the first two seasons, but I couldn't get into it. That said, I love The Departed and The Untouchables.

Second, my favorite shows ever is Breaking Bad, The Shield, 24 seasons 1-3, and Spartacus Season 1 & Prequel.

For those that have seen Boardwalk Empire, would it seem to be my taste?

I think you might useley show I don't like but do and going by the shows you like have u every seen the show Justfied i think that be right up your ally 4 season all done and It is a awesome show

I can't say enough how boring The Godfather trilogy was for me

I have to tell you, I have no idea how to respond to this.

I thought I had a default position for people who didn't like The Godfather, but I guess I never believed I would meet such a person, and I don't have one.

If you thought it was boring you might find Boardwalk Empire a little slow, especially the first season. It's really quality, though, and the action that's in there is quite awesome.

I think you might useley show I don't like but do and going by the shows you like have u every seen the show Justfied i think that be right up your ally 4 season all done and It is a awesome show

^nice modified engrish bro

But yeah Boardwalk is fucking great, watch it by all means.

First, although I like the style of gangster movies, I can't say enough how boring The Godfather trilogy was for me and I tried to get into The Sopranos by watching the first two seasons, but I couldn't get into it.

Thread title brought me in here to help in earnest.

But you lost me, bro.

You lost me hard.

I thought I had a default position for people who didn't like The Godfather, but I guess I never believed I would meet such a person, and I don't have one.

*Lays hand on your shoulder*

Just walk away, man. That's what I'm doing.

Come on, I'll walk with ya. We can synchronize our shaking heads.

It sounds like it might be too slow for you, but it's still worth a shot. Since you seem to be in to fairly action oriented shows, it's worth noting that it can get brutally violent in parts as well if that's your thing. Not so much in Season 1, though.

I wouldn't consider it to be as good as Breaking Bad or The Shield but it has it's moments. I've only seen the first two seasons though. If you give it a shot then wait until Richard Harrow's introduction (maybe halfway through Season 1? I forget) before deciding, because I don't think I'm alone in considering him to be one of the main reasons to watch the show.

Last edited:
*Lays hand on your shoulder*

Just walk away, man. That's what I'm doing.

Come on, I'll walk with ya. We can synchronize our shaking heads.

i67QX0yxHOAhC.gif

You should watch OZ. Its about Ozwold penitentary, its a good series, great acting and storylines. Lots of realistic prison gangs, plots and violence. Much better than Prison Break, I never really got into that. But I also liked Spartacus and Breaking Bad so you should like it
oz-cast.jpg

If you don't like Sopranos, I doubt you would like Boardwalk Empire.

With three of my favorite shows ending their runs this year.... Spartacus, Breaking Bad, and Dexter (mercifully)... I'm looking for a new series to get into, and I'm hoping its Boardwalk Empire but I'm not sure its my taste.

First, although I like the style of gangster movies, I can't say enough how boring The Godfather trilogy was for me and I tried to get into The Sopranos by watching the first two seasons, but I couldn't get into it. That said, I love The Departed and The Untouchables.

Second, my favorite shows ever is Breaking Bad, The Shield, 24 seasons 1-3, and Spartacus Season 1 & Prequel.

I don't know, man. You seem a bit all over the place in terms of what you like and don't like, so this is basically a crap shoot. All I can say is try it out and hopefully you'll like it. One thing I can tell you about Boardwalk Empire is that the production values are amazing for a TV show and it's excessively violent, especially for TV too. It's a good show, but I don't put it up there with The Sopranos or Breaking Bad or the first four seasons of Dexter. I also need to get caught up with the show a bit, but HBO isn't as liberal with putting past shows On Demand as Showtime is, so that could be a problem.

If you don't like Sopranos, I doubt you would like Boardwalk Empire.
But he likes The Departed and The Untouchables, and Boardwalk Empire is almost like an amalgamation of those two movies in TV series form, so who knows? :)

How can any one not like the godfather and the sopranos, it's essentially heresy.

Boardwalk may not be for you tbh.

What the hell did I just read?

Boardwalk Empire might be too highbrow for you.

Yea I went there.

but I don't put it up there with The Sopranos or Breaking Bad or the first four seasons of Dexter.

Boardwalk Empire is levels above Dexter, including it's best seasons, better than Breaking Bad and as good as The Sopranos.

I am not a fan of the Godfather movies either to be honest... But I love Boardwalk empire!

Justified is the one to get you over your Breaking Bad blues! Great show.

your list of shows leads me to believe your taste is for something pretty fast paced and violent. Oz might be more your deal or Sons of Anarchy.

Boardwalk Empire is levels above Dexter, including it's best seasons, better than Breaking Bad and as good as The Sopranos.

lol let's not get crazy here. The main character and his wife are garbage, it's a show dominated by supporting actors - Capone, Jimmy, Van Alden, Harrow, Lucky Luciano, Gyp Rosetti. The acting is bogged down with trying to be 1920's so much that they're caricatures of actual human beings. Only Jimmy, Capone and Eli feel "real".

But the production value is one of the best all time, especially considering it's a period piece.

Back