Should I be wearing a cup during BJJ class?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Altephor, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Altephor

Altephor Yellow Belt

Seems like a fairly obvious question.. but I haven't been. I haven't been nailed in the nuts yet (other then when I pinched them myself going for an armbar, somehow).

Should I get one? Where do you even get one? I haven't worn one since I played hockey when I was like.. 8.

2. mvisit1

mvisit1 Blue Belt

YES get one and wear it everytime. You don't want to accidentally take a knee, elbow, etc. to the groin while rolling or working for takedowns.

Also, you don't want your junk to touch someone's arm during an armbar and your opponent doesn't want to feel your junk on his arm while getting armbarred or any other submission/position for that matter.

3. Chinaboxer

Chinaboxer Blue Belt

nogi - yes

gi - optional, but some tournaments don't allow them.

4. JudokaBJJ

JudokaBJJ Orange Belt

YES

where it no matter what. you never know when your going to get hit in the nuts. just wear one and you won't regret it when you have one and you get kneed hard.

5. HuntingtonBeach

HuntingtonBeach ________________

NEVER!!!!!!

Let your balls be free, plus the chicks dig it.

6. FLMikeATT

FLMikeATT Purple Belt

It's a matter of preference. I never wear a cup even though I get hit in the nuts occasionally. A cup is restrictive and if you pinch a nut while wearing one, well.......God help you.

7. mauser300

mauser300 Si vis pacem, para bellum

Exactly I have only taken a few good nut shots since I have been doing BJJ/MMA but dam I am glad I had it when I needed it.

8. codemonkey76

codemonkey76 Black Belt

personal preference... i can't stand em... i don't wear one in gi or no-gi... i have already had kids though

9. Nnedd

Nnedd Centaur Booty Belt

My instructors don't, I do. It's a matter of preference. I prefer to protect my nads.

10. Nickynoneck

Nickynoneck Purple Belt

I agree i dont find it neccesary to wear one .

11. Nickynoneck

Nickynoneck Purple Belt

theres a guy that comes to my judo club everyonce and while and acts like a total dick( he takes it as real fighting) and wears a cup , we tryed to tell him that its illegal in compettition to wear one but says in a really dickish way" well they havent said anything yet " That and if he works with one of the girls in the club he throws the shit out of them and brags about it .

So i usually get in his guard and knee the shit out of him or pass but pass in the slowest way possible so my knee grinds his shit . if he just wore the cup it would be fine but i justify it when he starts being a dick to the girls in my club .

12. Easto

Easto Green Belt

I paid under $20 for my shock doctor cup and I haven't looked back.

Before I started at my club they had a guy that guy kneed in the testicles and had go get one of them removed because of the damage.

Also you don't want to be doing stuff like guard passing drills and every time your partner tries to pass your guard you grimace make some painful noise causing him to stop and check if you are alright. I know when I train and this happens it is annoying for me.

13. The Colonel

The Colonel Purple Belt

I don't wear one and only wear one whenever I'm working some type of striking/stand-up/MMA. (Usually I just wear some boxer briefs and an athletic supporter) In close to eight years of grappling I can say that I've only ever caught a knee to the nuts once or twice. I always just manned up and kept on rolling, I've always looked at it like this, if someone knees you in the nuts on the street (totally possible) they aren't going to stop and say, "oh sorry, you okay?"

So I just keep defending myself then tool the guy for kneeing me in the nuts.

Why are cups illegal in judo competition though? I know from my own experience grappling that when a guy gets your back and he has a cup on it grinds in your back and its kind of painful.

14. Nickynoneck

Nickynoneck Purple Belt

From what i have been told in judo you can not wear anything hard and a cup falls under that .

15. LordarshynBJJ

LordarshynBJJ Blue Belt

I'm with you on this one.

I'll wear compression shorts without the cup in them...but the cup its self is way too restrictive when it comes to my flexibility, plus, when wearing one i feel that feeling in my stomach like i just got kicked in the balls the whole time it's on. I'd rather just get hit in the balls occasionally then feel like I got kicked in them constantly.

16. Newcastle

Newcastle Brown Belt

I attempt to always wear a cup even if it class is focused 100% on technique. You never know when you will get paired up with a total noob and take a shot to the boys.

17. judofarmerbob

judofarmerbob Banned Banned

18. Bucketbot

Bucketbot Blue Belt

Yep it is a matter of preference.

It is not manditory (well, actually that is not true at some schools it is). Some people prefer it and some do not...

19. D Train

D Train Silver Belt

YES - Pretty much everyone in my gym (no gi) wears one. Except for our top gi guy. But he recently caught a knee to the carabaches when when someone was using combat base to pass his guard. If you get a good cup that fits well, they are not restrective or uncomfortable.

20. Goat Meal

Goat Meal Shhh Belt

I get grossed out if some guy armbars me and my elbow gets bedded into this patch of flesh.