Should Gus move to heavyweight?

ermac88

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
After a narrow defeat and firmly establishing himself as the number #2 LHW

Should Gus move to HW and fight opponents "more his size" as we often hear on Sherdog?

How would he do against JDS and Cain?

No, what's the point?
He just lost a controversial decision against a fighter who a lot of people (including me) thought was invincible.
Besides that, JDS would KO him.

He actually looks like he has a bigger frame than Jones who knows , maybe in 3-4 years should he choose to fill out he might make some noise , I mean I assume he walks around at 220-225 anyways.

He'd be a better Stipe IMO

He's got the frame and skill to do well. But much like Bones he'd win some and lose some.

He's not serious guys.. He's just making a point of how ridiculous the argument that jones should have to move up to hw is

I don't gus and jones are too big for LHW. I think a lot of guys who could be fighting at middle weight fight at LHW because of anderson silva.

Now you see machida dropping down and maybe rashad and other smaller LHW's will follow now that anderson isnt champ(and even if he become champ again now he looks beatable)

No I think he's definitely a future 205 champ. Don't try to pull a Brandon Vera.

I don't gus and jones are too big for LHW. I think a lot of guys who could be fighting at middle weight fight at LHW because of anderson silva.

Now you see machida dropping down and maybe rashad and other smaller LHW's will follow now that anderson isnt champ(and even if he become champ again now he looks beatable)

Yes all those LHW's are fighting at LHW because of Anderson Silva, how did we not know that.

Who thought Shogun and Rashads decision to fight at LHW was really about Silva.

I don't think he has the power to hurt many heavyweights but he sure could outpoint a lot of them with his speed. He'd do pretty well until he ran into the top 6 or 8 guys. He's better suited to 205 because he still has a speed advantage and also doesn't have the power disadvantage he'd have at HW.

I don't think Jones would do much better at HW. Lower end of the top 10 for now (at least until he really bulked up and acclimated himself to that weight). JBJ is used to being the much stronger fighter (in addition to longer). I don't think he'd hold up against guys much stronger than him.

Why in the world would he do that. He just barely missed winning the LHW belt and knocking the LHW GOAT off of his throne.

He's not serious guys.. He's just making a point of how ridiculous the argument that jones should have to move up to hw is

Exactly. I'm so over people saying that it is unfair for Jones, or Gustaffson or whatever tall/lanky fighter to be in a certain weight class and they need to move up and "fight guys there own size". Total BS, if you make weight then you are in the right weight class.

Why should they have to go up and fight guys that are their same height but thicker/more muscular for it to be "fair"?

If you can make weight for a weight class, you get to fight in it. If you want to fight in a higher weight class, that's your business. If you're not the guy fighting for a living stfu about what people "ought" to do.

On the question of how would he do I think he'd do well, and beat a lot of the best HW fighters. JDS is hard to call, as is Cain. But most of the top ten are just souls waiting to be claimed by him as far as I'm concerned. Werdum, Nog, Mir, Barnett won't be able to lay hands on him to drag him down (too slow). Overeem would die of cardiac arrest after 2 rounds of being circled. Terrible matchup for Nelson (Stipe II).

Stipe and Browne are the lowest-ranked HW I think could cause him trouble. Maybe Barry could hurt him bad with leg kicks if he managed to tag him.

But there's no need for him to move up, he has better competition at LHW essentially and can make the weight. And he's basically God etc.

Back