Should doctors care about national origin of Covid-19 patients?

Milton_Gracie

Platinum Card
Banned
Reaction score
dont see any numbers in the article.
it seems to be primarily based on a letter sent by kristin gaspar to mike pence.
The letter is about US citizens living in mexico crossing back into the US, not illegals.

Here is an article from about 2 weeks ago about a drop in illegal border crossings during the pandemic
https://ktar.com/story/3076991/illegal-border-crossings-plummeting-during-coronavirus-outbreak/

"U.S. Customs and Border Protection Acting Commissioner Mark Morgan told reporters during a phone conference that U.S. border detention centers had detained 20,000 people last May.

Morgan said that the number of individuals currently detained along with southwest border is less than 100."

Yes.

giphy.gif

Now, should medical professionals care or be concerned about where their Covid-19 patients come from, or should simply treat patients regardless?
Odd mashup of two questions that shouldn't be mashed up.

Yes, they should care about their national origin. We need that data.

Yes, they should treat them regardless. They are sick.

Why would Mexicans come here when they have universal healthcare in Mexico?

it seems to be primarily based on a letter sent by kristin gaspar to mike pence.
The letter is about US citizens living in mexico crossing back into the US, not illegals.

Here is an article from about 2 weeks ago about a drop in illegal border crossings during the pandemic
https://ktar.com/story/3076991/illegal-border-crossings-plummeting-during-coronavirus-outbreak/

"U.S. Customs and Border Protection Acting Commissioner Mark Morgan told reporters during a phone conference that U.S. border detention centers had detained 20,000 people last May.

Morgan said that the number of individuals currently detained along with southwest border is less than 100."

Please Help me out here... I’m not seeing where it clearly specifies that the patients are US citizens....

Please Help me out here... I’m not seeing where it clearly specifies that the patients are US citizens....
paraphrasing
'as you know, apprx 200k US citizens live across the border. our hospitals are seeing a sudden influx of critically ill patients from mexico'
i guess it doesnt directly say the patients are US citizens, though that is the implication. either way, it certainly doesnt state they are illegals. and as i already stated , illegal crossings are way down. and the proposed interventions by Gaspar would be affecting people crossing legally.

paraphrasing
'as you know, apprx 200k US citizens live across the border. our hospitals are seeing a sudden influx of critically ill patients from mexico'
i guess it doesnt directly say the patients are US citizens, though that is the implication. either way, it certainly doesnt state they are illegals. and as i already stated , illegal crossings are way down. and the proposed interventions by Gaspar would be affecting people crossing legally.
So basically, San Diego asked Washington to help them with American Covid-19 cases and Trump misinterpreted the request and made it an issue about illegals and the Wall?

Doctors should treat those that need it. Governments can deal with the border issues.

I think we should definitely ask people for ID and where they're from. It's just common sense to document information about who you're treating. The only reason not to would be for political reasons. But we should definitely provide medical treatment for anyone regardless.

So basically, San Diego asked Washington to help them with American Covid-19 cases and Trump misinterpreted the request and made it an issue about illegals and the Wall?
either misinterpreted or intentionally politicized i would guess. both would be standard for this presidency

Odd mashup of two questions that shouldn't be mashed up.

Yes, they should care about their national origin. We need that data.

Yes, they should treat them regardless. They are sick.
Spot on. WHO, the CDC, and every other health organization needs that data to track spread, which in turn helps us (humanity, not just USA) prepare for the next contagion.
Side note, found an unopened board game called Pandemic I’d gotten one of kids for Christmas a few years ago. Anyone ever played? Kinda wanna play...

Yes, but only for data purposes. Obviously we don't want people who know or think they have a contagious virus coming across the border and infecting more people here, but doctors aren't border agents. Doctors should treat whoever comes in and border security should be the ones making sure people aren't coming across unchecked at all, let alone when they're coming across because they have a contagious virus.

You're both wrong. The request was for the government to send aid to treat patients in Mexico because they are coming across the border sick to get treated in San Diego. It doesn't say anything about it being US citizens that are coming across, she said there are US citizens living in Northern Mexico as a justification for sending aid there, which she's also hoping will solve the problem of sick people coming across the border.

What Trump misinterpreted was Kristin Gaspar's concerns are the concerns of the whole of California when she is a republican in one of the bluest states in the country. Also, wood big time.

Reporting the numbers with personally identifiable information is fine. I wouldn't want hospitals or anything reporting illegals though. Its not that I want to protect illegals, its that I don't want hospitals sharing personal health information with the government without a damn good reason.

Spot on. WHO, the CDC, and every other health organization needs that data to track spread, which in turn helps us (humanity, not just USA) prepare for the next contagion.
Side note, found an unopened board game called Pandemic I’d gotten one of kids for Christmas a few years ago. Anyone ever played? Kinda wanna play...

Its a cooperative game (everybody vs the "computer" so to speak), and you really need to work together. everyone wins or everyone loses. It exist in several variations. Some are fairly hard, some are downright impossible to succeed in.
Pretty good if you like modern boardgames.

Doctors should treat those that need it. Governments can deal with the border issues.

I agree with this. Now, who should pay for it? I'd say the one receiving medical care if possible and if not then the US taxpayer.

Its a cooperative game (everybody vs the "computer" so to speak), and you really need to work together. everyone wins or everyone loses. It exist in several variations. Some are fairly hard, some are downright impossible to succeed in.
Pretty good if you like modern boardgames.
Thanks!

Its not really a kids game. But I do recommend it. It is regarded as a classic.

Unless you have "Pandemic Iberia"! In that case burn it and save yourself some frustration.
Its like headbutting a wall -although admittedly in an very enjoyable way. That one is almost impossible to beat.

What Trump misinterpreted was Kristin Gaspar's concerns are the concerns of the whole of California when she is a republican in one of the bluest states in the country. Also, wood big time.

Ok. That makes sense now. So is the original article I shared misinformation or misinterpretation?

Ok. That makes sense now. So is the original article I shared misinformation or misinterpretation?
Neither. The article just cited Trump's tweet, which was technically correct but mistook a localized complaint from San Diego specifically and called it "California", which it is but not the whole state. I don't have any idea what Kristin Gaspar's stance on border security was before. The problem of people coming across sick from Mexico to get treatment was accurate, at least according to Kristin Gaspar's letter

Back