Opinion Should countries apologize for past atrocities? Should they pay reparations?

If the heirs of the decisionmakers inherited any wealth from the evil doers, they should be forfeited... maybe.

I'm Hungarian. Still waiting on reparations from the Ottoman Empire plus the Mongolians.
But you guys need to apologize to central Europe for your Magyar raids. Yeah!

The US government has also paid billions in reparations to Native Americans.

Native Americans are the descendents of Mongols and Caucasians. The billions the US govt has paid out have been to their own people, their offspring not to actual American Indians. That's why all of the major Native American tribal leaders and council members look like white people with a touch of asian...Its because they are. Took the American land, slaughtered the people, then took their lineage and identity.

As far as reparations go they probably wouldn't do any good if we're talking about a check. I'd say reparations in the form of land, sovereign citizenship, and the truth should be what so called black people are after. Plus when people identify as an ADOS then you are calling yourself an African with no claim to the American land. Short sighted.

Last edited:
Tricky question. I think countries should at least apologize for and acknowledge their historical wrong doings. At this point I don't believe reparations are necessary unless a class of people is still suffering as a result of these past transactions.

For example I think in America there has been a systematic oppression of black people dating back to the time of slavery which has lead to many blacks living in the lower class today. I think as Americans we should do our part to help eliminate the underclass.

And not because any white people today is responsible for what our ancestors did. I don't believe that. But I also think it's the right thing to do as opposed to just saying it's not my problem.

There is no doubt the reason so many black people in America are in poverty today is a direct result of past segregation. They were never given a level playing field.

So you’re saying black people “today” are in poverty because of how things were with slavery etc in the 1700 and 1800s? There are countless black people in America that are successful, have great jobs and were able to work hard, put in effort and achieved what they wanted to.

Many black people today are in poverty because they would rather be on welfare and not be contributing members to society. Same with many white people too.

It’s evident that many on the left, large percentage of democrats want to have black people remain as “victims of society”, literally referring them in a labeled class of “second class citizens who are repressed!”.

Does that really seem like beneficial for them? Does that even make sense to you?

Black people in America have the same opportunity today as you or me, or any white person. Saying they don’t just shows that you want to have them remain as “victims” and for them to have a victim mentality. That’s the democrat way of thinking right there. That’s how they exploit them for their votes. To keep them on welfare, to keep making them think they are victims.

So you’re saying black people “today” are in poverty because of how things were with slavery etc in the 1700 and 1800s? There are countless black people in America that are successful, have great jobs and were able to work hard, put in effort and achieved what they wanted to.

Many black people today are in poverty because they would rather be on welfare and not be contributing members to society. Same with many white people too.

It’s evident that many on the left, large percentage of democrats want to have black people remain as “victims of society”, literally referring them in a labeled class of “second class citizens who are repressed!”.

Does that really seem like beneficial for them? Does that even make sense to you?

Black people in America have the same opportunity today as you or me, or any white person. Saying they don’t just shows that you want to have them remain as “victims” and for them to have a victim mentality. That’s the democrat way of thinking right there. That’s how they exploit them for their votes. To keep them on welfare, to keep making them think they are victims.

You don’t know the history very well. Look into redlining. Start there at the very least.

If you want to see how this works out take a look at how Germany felt about having to bear the responsibility for "Starting WW1" and then paying reparations.

HINT: Boiling resentment that culminated in a war that almost destroyed the world.

If you want to see how this works out take a look at how Germany felt about having to bear the responsibility for "Starting WW1" and then paying reparations.

HINT: Boiling resentment that culminated in a war that almost destroyed the world.
That's not really the same at all, that was imposed on them by foreign powers. What I am talking about is more akin to what Germany did after WWII; apologize to the Jews profusely as well as pay billions to Israel and Holocaust survivors. Not saying every country has to go that far necessarily but that's certainly one way to address past atrocities.

If someone currently alive was directly impacted by some tragedy I could possibly see them being owed something . . . it would be like me paying/apologizing for something today that one of my great grandparents did many decades ago. Sure, it could be done but wouldn't really mean anything to someone not directly impacted by whatever happened.

Also depends on who the apology or whatever penance would be for . . . is it to make me feel better for what happened or the "victims"?

I don't mind if governments apologize but I won't for shit that happened before I was born

I don't mind that standard, I think its fair. By that standard the Armenian genocide and the Amritsar massacre are like on the borderline.

I think the Armenian genocide is past the statute of practical reparations. It happened over one hundred years ago. It doesn't make it less heinous, but it's a matter for history's judgment, not payment at this point. I think there is a lot of value in taking a long cold hard look at history. For example, as an American it's worth considering the wreckage of previous, weaker nations on which our own strong nation is built.

But I also think that collective guilt is also often not very constructive, so balance is necessary. Is Germany in 2019 a guilty nation because they murdered 11 million people and started a war that killed tens of millions more? No. In 1945? Yes. Is the US today morally guilty because of African slavery? No. Hell, it's hard enough holding countries accountable for shit they are doing right now.

Tricky question. I think countries should at least apologize for and acknowledge their historical wrong doings. At this point I don't believe reparations are necessary unless a class of people is still suffering as a result of these past transactions.

For example I think in America there has been a systematic oppression of black people dating back to the time of slavery which has lead to many blacks living in the lower class today. I think as Americans we should do our part to help eliminate the underclass.

And not because any white people today is responsible for what our ancestors did. I don't believe that. But I also think it's the right thing to do as opposed to just saying it's not my problem.

There is no doubt the reason so many black people in America are in poverty today is a direct result of past segregation. They were never given a level playing field.
So the reason that so many blacks are in poverty is because.....slavery?

Not absent fathers, terrible schools, drugs, alcohol, welfare and crime?

Just Slavery?
So we’ll run with that. Ok - throw $100,000 to the 40 million or so blacks or those that so identify then you’ve got a 4 trillion dollar total payment. So after that cash has been splashed, what then? Problem solved? End of racism? Total utopia? Has the absolute gutting of the public purse been worth it?

No, not unless it is done right away. Anything else and you are just attaching money to a mostly empty gesture that does nothing to really rectify what happened.

The current German regime isn't the Nazi Regime, and same goes with modern Japan and Tojo.

I dunno, imagine someone kills your dad and then 40 years later some kid walks by and is like "Sorry that my grandpa killed your dad" and hands you $20. It's pointless and does nothing
Yes but imagine if you could pass the blame for any failure you had in your life on their grandfather. Sharted at McDonald’s? Well your grandfather was held captive by that guys.

Most countries have, at some point, apologized for some of their atrocities and paid something in atonement. It's not controversial, it's not uncommon.

However, people do seem to feel strongly about which atrocities deserve an apology.

People can apologize for whatever they want, as far as I'm concerned, even 2000 year old crimes. Reparations don't make sense to me, unless we are talking about the same generation of people that have been affected by the atrocities.

I don't have a "fond" perspective on reparations in general, considering that Finland was made pay "reparations" to Soviets for having "attacked them without provocation" (which subsequently was proven to be absolute bullshit). A couple of generations had to work essentially without pay in order to give the "Big Bear" what it demanded.

A lot of times it just comes down to bigger countries bullying smaller countries, in order to extract whatever "apologies" or "reparations" that they wish.

I haven't heard of Russia or China apologizing for a damn thing, while their neighbours have apologized a bunch.

Still a call for wergild huh?

let"s have people that have never owned slaves, pay people that were never slaves. makes perfect sense

notice the people that always bring this shit up never say or do anything about places like Dubai, thats being built by slaves as we speak

No. The world should move on. Remember the past -don’t live in it.

Back