Opinion Should countries apologize for past atrocities? Should they pay reparations?

Bout a week...
Israels 'right to exist' is basically because of some shit that happened several thousand years ago. so i guess 'ALL OF RECORDED HISTORY' is a good timeline to go by.

An apology should be made when needed but reparations is something more situational

Nope. If a nation commits atrocities, they should be held accountable, but within a reasonable time frame. I do not think the US should pay reparations for slavery, for example. It was so long ago, and just handing out money would not solve anything. If there were slaves that were still alive, then I would be ok with that, but not paying their ancestors. That’s ridiculous.

If it means I get some money, sure. If not, no.

To living victims, and maybe their immediate children (and I'm not 100 percent on board with the latter), but after that definitely no. Otherwise we go far off into the woods and allow unlimited claims which have their own problems.

Who's going to enforce this rule?

America?

If they're forcing other countries to pay reparations then they should start at home by paying reparations to the people they enslaved.

Nope. If a nation commits atrocities, they should be held accountable, but within a reasonable time frame. I do not think the US should pay reparations for slavery, for example. It was so long ago, and just handing out money would not solve anything. If there were slaves that were still alive, then I would be ok with that, but not paying their ancestors. That’s ridiculous.
What about an apology for the use of agent Orange in Vietnam? Or even reparations for it?

We Hungarians (Hung Aryans) are going to take over this board.
Well, then it's high time we demand an apology from France for the Treaty of Trianon. Or, you know, just retroactively make 4million people Hungarian citizens.

Who's going to enforce this rule?

America?

If they're forcing other countries to pay reparations then they should start at home by paying reparations to the people they enslaved.

Those people are all dead and so are the people who enslaved them. No way to logically pay reparations. We won’t be making people who never had slaves pay their hard earned $$$ to people who were never slaves....that’s not how any of this works.

What about an apology for the use of agent Orange in Vietnam? Or even reparations for it?

I think you have a better point there. That is still having an affect on soldiers and citizens. So, yes, In that case, reparations should be paid out to the affected.

This is a great talk by Larry Elder which deal with reparations, it's a good listen.

Should they apologize for past atrocities? Yes.

Should they pay reparations? No.

If countries receiving reparations were to not commit war crimes, crimes against humanity etc after receiving I'd be okay with this since it would put an end to some sort of cycle of violence.

Since this is not the truth, I don't care much for reparations.

I'm a fan of Justice being served, and I don't think nations should be immune from those seeking justice.

Most conservatives are big on justice, so I'm surprised they are so quick to let our nation off the hook when it comes to slavery and native american treaty violations.

America has a lot to apologise for - slavery, Jim Crow, the Backstreet Boys - reparations wouldn’t undo the damage already done.

I don’t want your recognition. I just want our lands back. The people that are saying ‘no’ clearly didn’t experience it or know what it feels like something that is rightfully yours taken away.

Back