should bjj be an olympic sport?

Also to become an Olympic sport IOK demans ONE world organisation.That's the karate main problem.As I know there are curently two bjj org. right?

BJJ isn't intense. It is dull and boring to watch. I love to compete in it don't get me wrong, but it is never going to get a broad acceptence as something to watch. It is a lot slower paced than Judo, and people can't even stand to watch that.

I wouldn't want BJJ to become an Olympic sport because it will hurt BJJ. The Olympics are not a good place for the sport.

Jitsuman said:
TKD is the most like "real fighting"

hehe, ok then!

Personally, yes, I think BJJ should be an olympic sport, just because that would actually get me to watch the olympics
He didn't say TKD was, but most people have the ideal of fighting to be what they see in movies, and what Olympic sport is most like that?? TKD. TKD is a lot more exciting than BJJ. It is a lot faster paced. There is already TKD, Boxing, Freestlye Wrestling, Greco, and Judo. They aren't going to allow BJJ with all those in there alreayd.

Of course BJJ should be an Olympic sport, BJJ rapes TKD and Judo...in fact BJJ raped your mother and 9 months later u were born...

Bubble Boy said:
Yeah, this is a rehash thread, but it's a fun topic.
The best idea I can come up with is to accept the fact that Judo is already in there; and then work to change Judo competition rules.
3 steps:
1) Allow leg submissions in Judo.
2) Allow competitors a little more time on the ground before standing them back up.
3) Penalize for inactivity on the ground.

This is actually a battle that can be won, starting at the grassroots level and working upward. A 10-15 year plan.

Sounds beautiful.
I want to hear your plan.

there is no good reason to have BJJ in the olympics. the olymipcs are just a corperation that sucks the life out of sports for profit.
even if they did add it the top players would likely not go. the olympics make you wear their sponsors gear, and people don't tend to want to tell their long time sponsors to get lost for IOC. that's exactly what happened when they added snowboarding. they were sure that hawkins was going to show up and take the medals and generate a lot of publicity for the olympics. insted he laughed at them and didn't go.

absolutely not....although, pankration should definitely be included, and in ancient times it was one of the most popular olympic events.

a sport needs to be practiced in enough countries in order for it to be an olympic sport no?

MMA has a stronger reason for inclusion than BJJ. MMA has..ermm..I guess existed since man existed[assuming its just man fight man] while bjj's history is much shorter.

DirectDrive said:
there is no good reason to have BJJ in the olympics. the olymipcs are just a corperation that sucks the life out of sports for profit.
even if they did add it the top players would likely not go. the olympics make you wear their sponsors gear, and people don't tend to want to tell their long time sponsors to get lost for IOC. that's exactly what happened when they added snowboarding. they were sure that hawkins was going to show up and take the medals and generate a lot of publicity for the olympics. insted he laughed at them and didn't go.

You meant Terje Haakonsen, right?

If they have room for "sports" like beach volleyball then there should definately by bjj at the olympics.

HOWEVER.... As others have already pointed out if you ask your average man on the street to watch a BJJ match he will be bored stupid. I've been training for a year but when i watch a black-belt match i have no idea what half the stuff they are doing is.

BTW Olympic TKD is a joke.

Honestly, I would rather see sub wrestling than BJJ in the Olympics.

Plenty of Olympic sports are questionable in terms of popularity.
Handball.
Water-polo.
Trap-shootiing.

Good to see the WTF TKD though :D

If BJJ gets more regulated & universal, with better administration, then, with the right promotion it could become a successful Olympic sport. At the moment I don't think it is ready. The other thing you have to think about is; that it if did become an Olympic sport, what the implications would be. Would BJJ schools become more sport based, neglecting the self defense aspect of the art? It may seem unlikely, but I can tell you, there are plenty of TKD schools out there like that; where many students don't even learn to punch, because they are focusing on the competion side of things. Judo has suffered the same problems, being just a shadow of what it was in the past. Not to mention that Helio himself has said that BJJ is already becoming too sporting. I love BJJ and I'd like to see more people participate in it, but I think it would be a tragedy if it became watered down.

It already has man ^^^^

People learning the butterfly guard before they know how to escape a standing headlock...

lockjaw211 said:
bjj is like judo on crack and is way more popular then judo. at least to me.

It is more popular, at least to you, so we should make it an Olympic event. Makes sense!

I'd love for Brazilian Jiujitsu to be a part of the Olympics. Unfortunately, it's so close to Judo, they may not consider it. You never know though.
One time, there was talk about Shootfighting making it the O, but they cut it off because of the rules of MMA at the time (NHB era).

I don't really want BJJ in the Olympics for many reasons already state, but I don't buy the "It's too boring to watch" line. Have you watched archery or curling?

Back