Opinion Should a President be able to stay in office for more than 2 terms?

I think terms should be 5yrs.

2 - 5 years terms would be good. Cap Senate and Congress at 3 terms, maybe 4.

Has it always been only 2 terms in America, if not, when did it change?

When a President finishes his term can he carry on being a politician?

If he can, can he become President again?

Here in Australia the leader of the Party that wins an election then automatically becomes the Prime Minister and he/she can serve unlimited terms as the PM. Also when he/she is no longer PM they generally stays in politics.

Finally do you think 2 terms as President is too few or just the right amount? Personally i think it should be unlimited but if not i think 3 terms would be better than just the 2.
did you know running oppositions that lose the vote 2 times in a row usually quit because they realise if in 8 years they couldnt convince the majority to vote for them then they never will be able to?

funny thing also with rudd vs howard, howard had come of serving 3 terms and going into his fourth. at that time after 12 years of leading the country i think australia just voted to get him out because they were over him. but that was my first vote when i was 19 in 2007 and i was a student and i wanted that money rudd was saying he would give. i blew it all on drinking, gambling and drugs but it was worth it.

I don't think there should be any limits. It abridges the will of the people and I think it makes Presidents less effective. Everyone knows that their second term is their last term so they're rendered toothless from a leverage perspective. Hence the appellation "lame duck".

If an Obama supporter suggested this in 2015 the sh@t storm would have been epic.

dems have tried to extend term limits for years
maybe now not so much
but didn't FDR serve like four terms
way back in time?

I have it on good authority that FDR slept his way to the top.

The 22nd amendment effectively decapitated the office of the president, and by extension, stifled the will of the people. Which was, of course, its purpose. It should be repealed.

Nope.
And it's a damn shame Congress doesn't have term limits.

Term limits are good.

If only the rest of congress was held to those standards.

Pretty sad when you see some of the most beloved leaders golfing when their terms are up, but still see some of the most hated still making decisions...

I don't think there should be a president.

There should be an age limit. You pass 60 you're done.

I don't want a 70 something year old making any decisions that affect my life.

did you know running oppositions that lose the vote 2 times in a row usually quit because they realise if in 8 years they couldnt convince the majority to vote for them then they never will be able to?

??? Generally presidents serve 2 terms in the USA. Republicans didnt quit after Obana won twice. Dems didnt quit after W won twice. Republicans didnt quit after Clinton won twice.

Has anyone done a statistical study regarding how a president acts different between hia first term and his lame duck term?

During the first term, POTUS has to listen to the people.

During lame duck term, POTUS could say "f the people, I'm doing what I please. I don't have to listen to them anymore."

How many shit hole countries don’t have term limits?

Feel like joining them?

??? Generally presidents serve 2 terms in the USA. Republicans didnt quit after Obana won twice. Dems didnt quit after W won twice. Republicans didnt quit after Clinton won twice.
A whole party quits?? I said they opposition member who was up for nomination will stand down.

It's not always been two terms, and I believe it was changed because FDR served 4 terms as president. Although he turned out to be one of the greatest presidents our country has ever known, it was clear that allowing someone to occupy the highest office in all the land indefinitely would not be unlike having a monarch.

I think two terms is enough.

I’d make exceptions if we are in a war that’s been declared by Congress. Or maybe leave it up to the senate? Consistent leadership is important during a crisis so I’m more open to it there.

A whole party quits?? I said they opposition member who was up for nomination will stand down.

in that case, it is just after 1 loss. Clinton isnt challenging trump again. Obama ran against Romney and Mccain. W ran against Gore and Kerry. Clinton ran against Bush and Dole.

No, and I don't see why they'd want to. The actual presidency is not a good deal, it's leaving office when you're retired young and can cash in on all the favors you did people that makes it worth winning the office.

I say yes but only for President Trump. It's been fantastic entertainment from the ridiculously idiotic shit he says to the absolute morons that still get extremely rustled by him.
He is entertaining and he does say and tweet some dumb shit, but that's primarily because he simply has no filter and doesn't hold back. Someone like Obama didn't have close to the intellect of Trump but simply was unable to say anything without a teleprompter...even then he made heaps of gaffes because without the teleprompter, he was basically a retard.

in that case, it is just after 1 loss. Clinton isnt challenging trump again. Obama ran against Romney and Mccain. W ran against Gore and Kerry. Clinton ran against Bush and Dole.
gotcha. yeah so in australia usually the two leaders will run against each other twice.

usually. theres been funny leadership spills for existing prime ministers who got overthrown with in their party, so a new leader has come in. but whilst the opposition held their leader most the time during the terms they were competing.

Back